maybe the best saiga thing ever...

So I go to order a galil handguard for my saiga x39.

while looking around a saw this:

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-84/TAPCO-SAIGA-T6-INTRAFUSE/Detail

will this install without any drilling, or converting of any sort?

in other words could I take a stock saiga and directly replace the old butt-stock without any changes to my rifle??

whats wrong with them??

it turns your trigger pull all to shit, at least it does on a 308.

Actually, the trigger is shit from the factory (the number one reason to convert is to make the trigger better). This stock doesn't modify any innards, so (theoretically) can't make it worse.

when i got my saiga couple months ago, i took it shooting and loved everything about it in the stock form. i thought to myself why the need for a conversion. well after shooting 60 rounds through the rifle i started ordering all the parts the next day. the gun just does not look right with the trigger far back, and the factory plastic on it looked like crap. im just so glad i did the conversion now. was not hard at all, made the internal of the gun much more simpler then before and it looks like the legit AK now

I do not have the means to do the full conversion.

I lost all of my tools and just dont have the right equipment to do a full conversion.

Eventually I will have everything and maybe with my next saiga I will do the full conversion.

but for now I just want to know what it requires to put on this butt stock and the problems it may cause if any.

I do appreciate the input and you guys do have awesome guns and have helped me with a ton of stuff already within the time i have been on this board

and when I have the means to fully convert my next saiga I will do so but till then I just want to know about this butt stock lol

my pretty much default response coming up.

If you like guns, and you realize the potential of yours, every time you look at it it's gonna feel tainted (spoken from experience, I went with the non-conversion option until I couldn't stand it anymore)

Simply put, you will own one of the best guns in the world, but theres always gonna be that factor in of it being crippled and less then it could be. You'll take it to the range, or show it to your friends, and realize it's the best made AK there is, but no ones gonna take you seriously because the trigger pull sucks and it looks wierd.. You'll probably wind up saying "yeah well when I DO convert it it's gonna be awesome!" to any potential haters and everytime you say it it's gonna chip away at you until you can't resist it.. Trust me, it's exactly what happened to me. And looking back on it, I'm embarassed at how long it took me, just because it turned out being so easy that I know all the guys with converted guns were looking at me and thinking what a retard I was for not getting the initiative to make the gun as it should be.

Buy or borrow a drill from someone, they don't cost much, grab a drill bit, and knock it out. I'm a TERRIBLE do it yourselfer, most things I do turn out very badly, but the conversion is so easy.. It sounds hard at first but man its a joke. And if you can afford a saiga and a tapco crutch stock, and ammo you can afford a drill and a bit. Something every one should have anyway.

I'm not tryng to criticize, more tryng to tell you how it went for me, and hope you don't make the same mistake.. Just convert it... it's so easy.

Edited by volkov

just out of curiosity...

how much does it generally (guesstimate) cost to have a gun smith convert it for me?

Since I dont have all the tools and know how it might be better to have a smith do it...

Also this is a present from my girlfriend (ya I spoil surprises but she doesnt know much about guns) so I can get the parts for free as a present which would leave me money for a smith.

so if I could just get a general Idea from you guys it would be much appreciated.

A gunsmith would probably charge you more than the roughly $100 worth of tools you need to do it yourself. Literally, a drill, some cobalt drill bits, a hammer and a flat head screwdriver is all the tools you need. That's good stuff to have around the house anyway. Home Depot is always running sales on Ryobi 18volt drills and kits.

it's ridiculously easy.. Looks difficult.. until you realize it's literally drilling a couple of holes and then basically putting legos together.. the FCG really is simple and straightforward once it's in your hands, looks hard on youtube do it yourself videos (scared me) But I had to laugh at myself for having been worried about it once I finished it.

it's ridiculously easy.. Looks difficult.. until you realize it's literally drilling a couple of holes and then basically putting legos together.. the FCG really is simple and straightforward once it's in your hands, looks hard on youtube do it yourself videos (scared me) But I had to laugh at myself for having been worried about it once I finished it.

Please tell me where these holes are that folks keep talking about that need drilling. .

Please tell me where these holes are that folks keep talking about that need drilling. .

The trunnion bullet guide hole. On the rest, removing the rivots will work fine.

The trunnion bullet guide hole. On the rest, removing the rivots will work fine.

If you use US made Saiga-specific magazine, that hole doesn't NEED to be drilled.

Besides "holes" is plural.

To get to the point, you guys with your drills are very likely working too hard (and making more work for yourselves).

If you use US made Saiga-specific magazine, that hole doesn't NEED to be drilled.

Besides "holes" is plural.

To get to the point, you guys with your drills are very likely working too hard (and making more work for yourselves).

Lol The POS US made junk mags require me to depend on drilling a trunnion for a proper bullet guide in order to use the better surplus mags.

To me this is a case of need as in need the best most reliable mags.

Promags or whatever the latest craptastic junk mags just will not due. The palm mags have been the latest failure and there was so much hope

built up for those.

Edited by my762buzz

the conversion is removing 3 rivits and removing 2 lips on pins that hold the factory FGC in place. Then put back together. Done. It doesnt matter how you remove the rivits as long as they are gone and that plate can be removed you did it right.