Is RedStar Arms FCG Worth the price?

I have tried both and...  

20 members have voted

1. 1. RedStar Vs Tapco / Other not named

• Tapco is better
    • Tapco is the same
    • Red Star Arms is better
    • Some other trigger is better, see my reply below.
    • Do the following mod instead....

I tried a 7.62 that the owner had installed a Tapco set in (or said so... he didn't seem to reliable) It didn't seem much smoother than the saiga unconverted trigger on my s12. That had been my plan, but I was disapointed.

So that leaves me wondering if I should just spend the ~28 on a Tapco G2 or put in about double that for a Red Star Arms adjustable set.

To me if it is worth doing, it's worth doing right. So it mostly comes down to this? Does the Red star arms trigger feel better? (shorter pull, smoother, crisper release point)

Does anyone here have experience with both that could make a comparison?

Thanks.

Edited by Wolverine

In my opinion the RSA trigger is overpriced and adds more parts to a simple, reliable design.

Get a G2 and polish the contact areas. Mine feels amazing. But this is all opinion though...

I have a RSA trigger group and it is AWESOME. I plan to install one on all of my conversions. I bought it to go in my 223 that I am converting for an Appleseed shoot so I wanted something that would allow me to achieve a hard, clean break.... and boy does it do that....

I currently have it adjusted to a 2 stage pull, the first stage moves about 1/4" @1-2lbs, the second stage is a 12lb glass rod, no overtravel, very short reset.... I LOVE IT

I would suggest that you do a little work on it as you put it in though, to make it even better. smooth and polish the contact surfaces, basically the same stuff that you do to make a tapco trigger good will make this trigger GREAT if you want an accurate trigger.

All that being said, I like my tapco that is currently in my S12, I have nothing against it, I just like the adjustability and ability to make it better with the RSA

I have two AKs with RSA triggers, and two with G2s, I have 3 more kit's and will be using G2s.

A DOUBLE HOOK G2 can be tuned as good as a RSA INCLUDING take up and over-travel (Cobra76two is killer at doing this). You will find that you have to adjust the RSA around your safety lever so you won't be able to adjust all the slack out.

I found it simple enough to adjust the trigger pull before putting the safety on.... adjusted the trigger by dry-firing... when it went together it was GREAT, haven't even noticed if I can or can't adjust the screws once I got it all together

RSA is a great trigger, but probably overkill for a S12. My favorite set up to date is a polished short throw/short reset Tapco G2 made from a double hook FCG. Once you understand how AK FCG's work it's a pretty straight mod and makes for a very quick, smooth, and dependable trigger pull. You could probably do the mod with Texas or Arsnel trigger set's but I've stayed with the Tapco. There are threads in the forum that explain how to do the mod. Just my 2c. I have the RSA on a PSL rifle and it's a very well made part.

RSA are sweet triggers, but overpriced and overkill for most guns IMO. I really like the G2, it's cheap and works well. But a well-adjusted Red Star on a dedicated target rifle is like butter.

Haven't tried Texas yet, but on my list...

Edited by rob-cubed

I agree. Definitely overkill for a shotgun. A polishing job would suffice, and if you wanted a shorter trigger pull, I've seen people use washers (or pennies with a hole in the middle) set under the back of the trigger to "pre-pull" the slack out.

As has been stated, for something like a scoped rifle, the RSA FCG might work well. Just don't adjust it so fine that you take compromise the reliability.

ok, here ya go, do you want the gun to be a longer-distance super-accurate shooter? typically you want this only with rifle calibers or slug guns....

if you want the gun to be a 'quick to target and shoot' then the RSA is overkill.... that's what I'm hearing from most people.

If you compare the two right out of the package maybe...the RSA has an advantage over the G-2. (It should for as much as it costs).....but considering the fact that you have to mod the G-2 some anyway, in order to use it in the Saiga, if you know what you're doing you can get just as good (or better IMO) a trigger with the much less expensive G-2. There are several different ways to achieve a short reset and take-up using the G-2. IMO a well tuned G-2 is a better choice because you have less parts and no screws to ever worry about coming loose and possibly rendering your weapon temporarily useless. I suggest either buying a G-2 that's been professionally tuned for a Saiga, or spending half as much if you can do the work yourself. Either way you will end up with a better trigger IMO and at worst, spend around the same amount of money.

I've shot a S-12 with a RSA trigger and it was crisp with a short pull. The G2 in my S-12 has a little bit of a long pull but its very smooth. G2 is simpler and probably a better option for a shotgun and it's fairly easy to tweak if you want.

thanks for the continued input. I have 2 s12's to convert, so I may get a g2 and see how nice I can get it on the first one. Unless I happen to see a good deal on the B/s/t section here.

I'm reading Trap and Skeet Shooting, 5th edition.

In there it mentions the difficulties people may have moving from rifles to shotguns. One difference is shooting with both eyes open. Next, a rifle should be fired with a smooth controlled trigger pull (RedStar adjustable). Firing the shotgun, for trap and skeet, the shooter should "slap" the trigger (G2).

With that said, I suspect hunting with slugs would require a controlled and smooth pull.

"Form follows function" -Adler Sullivan.

I know that competitive shotgun shooters are taught to be smooth on their swing and follow through. Stopping to aim carefully is a cardinal sin. Maybe they don't want the mentality of easing back on the trigger like a bench shooter. The slap might be about doing things in the instant, as much as in the feel of the trigger itself. I can't imagine that a custom Ljutic clays gun has a rough long pull for $10,000 plus.

• 2 years later...

To me if it is worth doing, it's worth doing right. Because of this, I use the Arsenal FCG that is designed exclusively for the S12. It uses the same anti-slap rivet in the rear of the trigger guard just like the original, and is a just a nice single stage FCG all around.

As far as adjustable ones go, I wouldn't want to deviate from the tried and proven designs.