.300 Win Mag Die Advice

I recently purchased a .300 Win Mag and want to start loading for it. I use Dillon dies for all of my other calibers but I don't think they make die sets for the .300 mag... Who makes a good quality die set (preferibly a 3 die set) for this caliber? Thanks for any help,

-biker

I personally prefer LEE dies... as they are cheaper than RCBS, and I prefer the way they designed the depriming pin compared to the RCBS setup. I also prefer the adjustment design over the RCBS as well. AND... in the RARE occasion that I manage to break something Lee is VERY good about free replacement parts...

With all that said, I DO own RCBS dies as well... and they function JUST as good as the LEE dies do.

LYMAN also makes a good die, and Hornady I believe makes them also...

Pretty much like you need to buy a pickup... ford, chevy, dodge, or other... which do you prefer??

If I had to suggest a set... I would say LEE... thats just MY 2 Cents... for what its worth... :up:

:smoke:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Well it really depends on what you are trying to do with the 300. If close to mediun distance hunting hunting of large bodied game is what you plan to do then any dies will do. But if longer range shots ot target shooting are your plans [i know some shooters that do 1k f-classwith 300 win mags], then if I were you I'd look at Redding,Forester or Wilson type dies, as far as the sizing dies they all work about equally well, but the competition type dies will allow you to control neck tension, but the seater dies are what really set the comp. dies apart, they tend to keep the bullet aligned with the case neck better and generally have a micrometer type depth control which makes repetable settings more likely.Personally I use Redding dies for my 300, 308, 223, and 25-06 . Plus I use the Redding competition shell holders whick allow me to square the die with the holder but still let me just bump the shoulder back about .001 for my bolt guns. Hope this gives you a option to consider, right for me but not necessialary for everyone.

I second the Lee Dies, I have both RCBS & Lee Dies for 300 Win Mag. I always choose to use the Lee dies over the RCBS. Both are good dies especially for the money.

Well it really depends on what you are trying to do with the 300. If close to mediun distance hunting hunting of large bodied game is what you plan to do then any dies will do. But if longer range shots ot target shooting are your plans [i know some shooters that do 1k f-classwith 300 win mags], then if I were you I'd look at Redding,Forester or Wilson type dies, as far as the sizing dies they all work about equally well, but the competition type dies will allow you to control neck tension, but the seater dies are what really set the comp. dies apart, they tend to keep the bullet aligned with the case neck better and generally have a micrometer type depth control which makes repetable settings more likely.Personally I use Redding dies for my 300, 308, 223, and 25-06 . Plus I use the Redding competition shell holders whick allow me to square the die with the holder but still let me just bump the shoulder back about .001 for my bolt guns. Hope this gives you a option to consider, right for me but not necessialary for everyone.

I second the Lee Dies, I have both RCBS & Lee Dies for 300 Win Mag. I always choose to use the Lee dies over the RCBS. Both are good dies especially for the money.

I shoot 1000+ with my 300WM. I use Lee dies, they work great.

Edited by YARP