Too tactical for a Saiga?

Theres a lot of hate in this thread...

Just remember OP it only matters if YOU like YOUR rifle.

the good:

I like the flashlight they are some of few attachments that I find are good for real life use (i.e you can see in the dark cause we dont all have money for night vision)

the bad:

a bit too much on there if it was me (remember only matters what you think) I would lose the laser.

the ugly:

you really should think about a conversion; see my thread "maybe the coolest saiga thing ever." where I almost made your gun lol and it somewhat explains just how easy it is to convert it, and give it a long thought, if you decide against it great and if you decide to convert it more power to ya.

I like it :) The tacti-cool look is fun, and you can always get another Saiga that you go all wood or whatever. I have a flashlight and a laser sight on mine, with buttons for each on the forward vertical grip, and had to use the flashlight once on a moonless night when my brother and I got a little lost in the woods coming back from shooting and our regular flashlight died :eek:

I actually have about 3,000 rounds through mine, running flawless of course (fired every single time without a jam without exception), and am sitting here watching conversion videos on youtube seeing if I have the balls to do the pistol grip conversion to mine. I'm just worried about messing up a good thing.

Personal preference I'm not a fan of lasers. Is that one on top of the foregrip? Does it block the irons? Other than that, yeah, it's all about what works best for you. Some people like lasers, I don't care to use them. But then again I also am not a fan of magnified optics on most rifles so maybe I'm just weird.

My honest answer is that I would start all over from scratch with this gun, starting with a proper conversion. Nothing about this gun is working. It looks like a bunch of parts just thrown together. No offense intended, just being direct and honest.

Looks more like pin the tactical accessories on the riffle.

Well from your other thread, it looks like you are making the right decision to convert. And if that's how you want your gun to look than go for it. After all, like mentioned above, it is your riffle. But I would have to agree with the too busy for me comment. Isn't it kinda heavy with all that stuff on there? And what rail is that?

If it works for you and you're getting solid hits go for it.

Performance is what matters and if you like it.

Imho every fighting gun meant for serious use should have the ability to run a light.

Thanks, everyone for being honest. I appreciate it. I AM converting it as soon as my parts get here from Dinzag, I have another thread about it in the conversion forum. This rifle is for home defense first, plinking second, as I live where there are no Police and a lot of criminals. So, I need the light, the laser was an afterthought. I'll probably take the laser off until I need it, and remove the remote switch on the light. That will calm down the look, but still remain functional for what I need it for.

Someone has already replied to what handguard I'm using and they were right, it IS the Midwest Industries Saiga Quad rail. I got it for $119 though, so shop around before you pay $139 for one...It works great.

Well, considering that I just went ahead and de-pimped my own "tacticool", "m4gery wanna-be", "weekend warrior" monstrosity last night, I would have to say: YES.

I bought this Arsenal SGL21 during the "AK Stimulus Plan" sale. It came with a Midwest Industries quad-rail that you have, pre-installed. It was already a bit front-heavy and misbalanced, when compared to my stock SGL20. Then, I mounted a SureFire G2 LEO light on a side rail and a CAA folding vertical grip (with battery storage compartment) on the bottom rail. The more that I kept the weapon in this configuration, the more that I realized that I didn't like it. It turned this slim, light, well-balanced, simple weapon into this clumsy, misbalanced monstrocity, with things sticking out from everywhere. The final straw came during my last shooting outting, where I emptied three mags in rapid succession and the MI quad-rail mounting screws got shaken loose (even though they were thread-locked).

So, last night, I removed the MI quad-rail (which was a pain, because one of the screws wouldn't bulge and I ended up stripping its head) and installed the standard K-Var polymer upper and lower handguards. I couldn't be happier! The weapon feels so much lighter and better balanced! With the front of the weapon being light, I am going back to using the "Spetsnaz grip", which involves holding on to the mag when shooting and using it as sort of a vertical grip.

I am also thinking of getting rid of the K-Var triangle folding stock that I have on it right now and putting back the regular polymer, trap door stock. The trinagle stock is heavier and I don't really need the folding ability, since I keep a PK-AS side-mounted scope on the weapon.

Now, I am keeping the other mods that I did to this gun, because they are actually practical. The Hogue pistol grip is great and so is the Krebs Enhanced Selector Lever, which lets you disengage the safety without moving you hand off the grip. It also has a Tromix bolt-on charging handle, which I like quite a bit.

Any way, I have decided that, when it comes to accessorizing "AKs", the best approach to take is KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid). By the way, keep in mind that, this is my SHTF weapon. Pics to follow.

I just want to know where the "Master Switchboard" is to run all of that stuff. Sorry, I know that sounds bitchy - just pulling your chain. I feel that, just like cars, you have to go for what fits your needs, and even more, your desires. These are working guns, but just happen to turn into "hobbies" - too easy to do, too many ways to make it personal. Have fun with it.

Most definitely what makes you happy. It doesn't matter what others think. And remember, a "Conversion" might mean to make it back to a traditional AK standard, but you can also simply do "Mods" to it. I personally like the trigger assembly the way it is standard. I did some "Mods" on mine, such as stock, forearm grip, and working on a magazine modification. Point is, it's your gun. There's no law that says it has to be a certain way. It's whatever you like. Have fun with it.

This rifle is for home defense first

Whatever configuration works best for you is the one you ought to stay with. But, play around a little just to be sure it is ideal. Set your alarm clock without looking so you don't know when it's going off and do a "surprise intruder drill." See if your rifle is svelte enough to move around your house at night doing room clearing drills.

For me, the order of ideal home defense tools are:

1) 12 gauge pump shotgun with size 7 shot

2) 45 auto with hollow points

3) a big rock

Now if I'm defending the 100 yard stretch in front of my house, the AK would be my choice.

denden; I commend you for your post for referring to your weapons as "TOOLS". Too many people have the impression that simply having a pistol or other gun at home makes them "safer". Guns don't save people; People save people. The only difference I have with your post is using #7 1/2 bird shot. Seriously, anything past 20 feet and you're asking for problems. Don't get me wrong; I wouldn't want to be shot with #7 1/2 birdshot, but I don't think it would be very effective. But I definitely understand different concerns for home defense. e.g. apartments and shooting into the next apartment. Kids in the next bed room. That's why I use "4-Buck". It's not as much a penetrating pellet like the "00 Buck". But it's also bigger than bird shot. I'd feel comfortable up to #2 bird/turkey shot. But other than that, very good post.

i think leaving the light and palm switch/foregrip would be adequate. the laser on top looks like it would be right in the line of sight though. How much does the rail weigh, unencumbered? i have a surefire poly rail, and it is 2lbs. I am considering a lighter alternative.