Too tactical for a Saiga?

denden; I commend you for your post for referring to your weapons as "TOOLS". Too many people have the impression that simply having a pistol or other gun at home makes them "safer". Guns don't save people; People save people. The only difference I have with your post is using #7 1/2 bird shot. Seriously, anything past 20 feet and you're asking for problems. Don't get me wrong; I wouldn't want to be shot with #7 1/2 birdshot, but I don't think it would be very effective. But I definitely understand different concerns for home defense. e.g. apartments and shooting into the next apartment. Kids in the next bed room. That's why I use "4-Buck". It's not as much a penetrating pellet like the "00 Buck". But it's also bigger than bird shot. I'd feel comfortable up to #2 bird/turkey shot. But other than that, very good post.

While I don't disagree with you, my house isn't that big so a 20+ foot encounter isn't that likely. I have an extended magazine on my 870. In actuality, the first two rounds are bird shot, rounds three and four are buck shot. If the bird shot isn't doing the job, a few quick pumps and I've raised the ante.

Yeah man, no offense, but you keep saying you're not converting the gun cause of cash, well that handguard costs as much as a whole conversion......That flashlight alone could almost fund a conversion...

If you check my recent posts, I AM converting the gun, I had to wait until i got some cash. Now I have some. As soon as Dinzag sends me the parts, I will convert it.

And all, I took the laser off. Looks much better now.

i think leaving the light and palm switch/foregrip would be adequate. the laser on top looks like it would be right in the line of sight though. How much does the rail weigh, unencumbered? i have a surefire poly rail, and it is 2lbs. I am considering a lighter alternative.

The company says the rail by itself weighs 10 ounces. I think it s a bit more than that, but surely only about 1 lb tops. Its just hollow aluminum...

Kind of a side issue, but related to the various posts with flashlights attached.I never trained as a "grunt", was always on shipboard, never had or used a flashlight with a rifle. I see a rifle mount like a ships sonar - when it is on and active (light on), you are the hunted - when you are passive (light off) listening, you are the hunter. I wonder how much reach the light has (30-50 yards), while the opposing shooter can be 100-300 yards, and aiming a spread at the nifty little light out there! Anyone clear that up for me - other than maybe clearing a building, some thing dogs are for, if you are lucky enough to have one. The light does not reach far, and is a DEAD giveaway.

Kind of a side issue, but related to the various posts with flashlights attached.I never trained as a "grunt", was always on shipboard, never had or used a flashlight with a rifle. I see a rifle mount like a ships sonar - when it is on and active (light on), you are the hunted - when you are passive (light off) listening, you are the hunter. I wonder how much reach the light has (30-50 yards), while the opposing shooter can be 100-300 yards, and aiming a spread at the nifty little light out there! Anyone clear that up for me - other than maybe clearing a building, some thing dogs are for, if you are lucky enough to have one. The light does not reach far, and is a DEAD giveaway.

lights are for CQB. I don't run them because I can see in the dark with my wizard powers... :eek:

man that rifle is sweet;but i would move the trigger group forward with the grip,and you`ll be happier!do what you wan`t!one question?your magazine release looks weird or maybe it`s not a good view.did you do something there?good luck!i like it so far!

man that rifle is sweet;but i would move the trigger group forward with the grip,and you`ll be happier!do what you wan`t!one question?your magazine release looks weird or maybe it`s not a good view.did you do something there?good luck!i like it so far!

The mag release has a California legal 'bullet button' magazine lock on it, we have to have those to be legal here.The one on there is made by PRK Arms, and takes a bullet tip or small screwdriver to move the latch. We also have to have only 10 round mags, or a bigger mag blocked off to only hold 10 rounds..oh, well...

Edited by icefire

lights are for CQB. I don't run them because I can see in the dark with my wizard powers... :eek:

You have to realize the light is super bright, one blast of it in the dark and you are blinded. I also have a pressure switch on it, so I can let off in a split second. So, I blast them with the light to disorient them, move, and shoot. it doesnt stay on for more than a second at a time.

Edited by icefire