Rear sight replacement

Hi all

Being new to Saigas and AKs in general, I've got to ask a newbie question..

I was reading another members post and saw that he had replaced the rear sight of his .308. with a "Krebs". This is something I'd definitely like to do on mine but have a couple of questions.

1. Is this the correct sight to use on the Saiga .308?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=644580

2. Any difficulty or anything special I need to know before replacing the sight?

3. Does the front sight also have to be changed?(from what I've read it seems like a no, but wanted to ask..)

thanks

It looks to be the right sight. All you need to do is use a screwdriver to push down the front of the rear sight so the pegs on the sides line up with the bigger holes, then slide back the OEM sight and replace with the new one. Its as easy as this:

The front sight does NOT need to be replaced, but a front night sight would be optimum.

Hi all

I was reading another members post and saw that he had replaced the rear sight of his .308. with a "Krebs". This is something I'd definitely like to do on mine but have a couple of questions.

2. Any difficulty or anything special I need to know before replacing the sight?

3. Does the front sight also have to be changed?(from what I've read it seems like a no, but wanted to ask..)

thanks

The only problem I had was that the slider was too tight on the Krebs sight leaf. I had to try sliders from three rifles before I found one that fit nicely.

Hi all

thanks

The only problem I had was that the slider was too tight on the Krebs sight leaf. I had to try sliders from three rifles before I found one that fit nicely.

Hope my slider fits ...because its my one and only.

pain,

If you're going to replace the rear sight anyway, you may want to consider getting something that's windage adjustable. It's a lot easier dealing with the rear sight than banging at the front sight drum with a rock. I have an RPK windage adjustable rear sight on my .308 and highly recommend it.

Rhodes,

I'm not sure what you mean by not using the slider. Mine works just fine as I'm shooting about 2MOA at 100yds. If you're talking about the elevation adjustment not being accurate past that, I would expect it as the sight was originally meant for the 7.62x39 round.

Ok so what is this "SLIDER" you all speak of? And how do you fit the dust cover?

The slider is the little cylindrical device that you move up and down the rear sight leaf to change elevation. If you get a Krebs, you will have to pull the slider off your factory leaf and place it on the Krebs leaf.

The dust cover needs no mods for that sight.

Check me if I am wrong, but I think he is talking about something like below... which is what I did to my .308 with a Vulcan top cover (a'la Galil-style) rear sight - and removed/brazed-in the mid sight channel...

post-1473-12730040886402_thumb.jpg

post-1473-12730041148341_thumb.jpg

Nope - Infact - If I could find more of those top covers, I'd do all of my AK's / Saigas that way... The longer sight radius is wonderful and no loss of zero. The rear has flip up S/L range and is windage ajustable. I made all corrections on the front and fine tuned with the rear. I am getting about 1- 1.5 MOA with South African and 1" with Portuguese...

Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it!

Not quite as nice as my Galil sights, but damn close!

Edited by macbeau

Check me if I am wrong, but I think he is talking about something like below... which is what I did to my .308 with a Vulcan top cover (a'la Galil-style) rear sight - and removed/brazed-in the mid sight channel...

Check the link he posted. Its to a Rear ghost ring sight leaf.

I do like the dust covers with the H&K rear sight and integrated rail though. I dont think people give the dust covers with integrated rails enough credit... I have had absolutely no trouble with mine and it holds zero perfectly even after several range trips in tactical soft case and firing around 200 rounds.

If I had my choice of a rear sight leaf I think i'd choose this one:

http://www.mountsplu...ght_Sight-s.jpg

Or maybe this one:

http://stores.homest...unt%20Small.JPG

Thanks for all the replies....but I think you guys are trying to corrupt me :angel:

All these sight options are nice, but more hassle and money than I want to spend. I love the Krebs ghost ring, simple and not too expensive.

...all I want to know is if it will work on my .308..?

Thanks for all the replies....but I think you guys are trying to corrupt me :angel:

All these sight options are nice, but more hassle and money than I want to spend. I love the Krebs ghost ring, simple and not too expensive.

...all I want to know is if it will work on my .308..?

Yes.

Hi all

thanks

Hello,

I have the Krebs 1000 meter sight on the Saiga 308s I own (all three). I called Krebs Custom to get advice on the correct model to order. They recommended the 1000 meter version.

I have a Krebs 800 meter windage adjustable on my Bulgarian Arsenal SLR 95.

If you crawl around on different boards, you may be able to find one of the Krebs Windage adjustable sights (they stopped making these a few years back).

I have a Mojo sight on my Norinco SKS-M. You might want to consider that as well. They are windage adjustable if that is important to you.

I hope this helps.

Nu2Saiga

Nope - Infact - If I could find more of those top covers, I'd do all of my AK's / Saigas that way... The longer sight radius is wonderful and no loss of zero. The rear has flip up S/L range and is windage ajustable. I made all corrections on the front and fine tuned with the rear. I am getting about 1- 1.5 MOA with South African and 1" with Portuguese...

Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it!

Not quite as nice as my Galil sights, but damn close!

Shit I'm sold then. Are you not using the stock top covers with the HK sights welded on? What kind of fine-tuning did you have to do? I'm going to rig up my .308 the same way as I really want that longer sight radius.

Hi all

thanks

Hello,

I have the Krebs 1000 meter sight on the Saiga 308s I own (all three). I called Krebs Custom to get advice on the correct model to order. They recommended the 1000 meter version.

I have a Krebs 800 meter windage adjustable on my Bulgarian Arsenal SLR 95.

If you crawl around on different boards, you may be able to find one of the Krebs Windage adjustable sights (they stopped making these a few years back).

I have a Mojo sight on my Norinco SKS-M. You might want to consider that as well. They are windage adjustable if that is important to you.

I hope this helps.

Nu2Saiga

Midway sold out of the 800M and I was going to get the 1000m direct from Krebs....

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml

I just the the tracking # on my rifle, once it checks out ok, I'll start "getting stuff" for it :)

Hello

Anybody have any experience with these replacement rear sights? (Mojo "Micro-Click")

I just received a couple I was going to mount on my pistols, they look pretty well-made and nicely thought out. They are windage adjustable with an allen wrench, but obviously, they do away with the slider and use a threaded post with graduated clicks. Everything looks adjustable.

There wasn't really a good pic of 'em on the Mojo site, so I kind of ordered 'em blind.

post-3965-12730999528043_thumb.jpg

post-3965-12730999687491_thumb.jpg

post-3965-12730999837649_thumb.jpg

-guido

I currently have the Mojo Micro click sight on my 308, I like it, I have all three peep sight inserts. While I have used them all, I currently only use the middle one. I would recommend the sight, but I wouldn't spend the extra money on the additional inserts. They adjust very easy for fine tuning accuracy. One additional note, the clicks on the micro-click system go up by .75 MOA, not really a problem just something to note when adjusting for bullet drop at range. I personally would have preferred 1/2 clicks, but as the dial can only be so big you limit the total amount of clicks.

Edited by Noob308

I tried the Mojo Micro-click and didn't like it a lot as it tended to "flop" no matter how much bend I put into the the leaf spring on the RSB. I also tried the older Mojo and found my self missing the slider range adjustment but this is all IMHO.

Rhodes,

I'm not sure what you mean by not using the slider. Mine works just fine as I'm shooting about 2MOA at 100yds. If you're talking about the elevation adjustment not being accurate past that, I would expect it as the sight was originally meant for the 7.62x39 round.

The range adjustment may well be more important on the x39 than the flatter shooting 308. I still would rather have that slider as on the krebs but to each his own. If you look at the rsb on the 308 and compare to the x39 you will see its a bit different and should be.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Rhodes,

The range adjustment may well be more important on the x39 than the flatter shooting 308. I still would rather have that slider as on the krebs but to each his own. If you look at the rsb on the 308 and compare to the x39 you will see its a bit different and should be.

I think you may have the windage adjustable rpk sight confused with something else. This is a pic of what I'm using. As you can see, it has a slider.

post-5447-12732084175014_thumb.jpg

Nice blade sight from the looks of it and yes I had it confused with another sight. I have gotten pretty good at Kentucky windage after proper zero of course so I never even think about it. I wont go back to blades having used aperture all my life they seem slow to me but every one has a preference.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Nice blade sight from the looks of it and yes I had it confused with another sight. I have gotten pretty good at Kentucky windage after proper zero of course so I never even think about it. I wont go back to blades having used aperture all my life they seem slow to me but every one has a preference.

Thanks, I initially got it because my front sight is slightly canted. Not enough to warrant pressing off and pinning back on. The windage adjustments are coarse though. I think it's somewhere between .5 to .75 MOA...but as the saying goes, good enough for government work.

I'm getting more and more used to the blades having been weaned on aperture sights as well.

Shit I'm sold then. Are you not using the stock top covers with the HK sights welded on? What kind of fine-tuning did you have to do? I'm going to rig up my .308 the same way as I really want that longer sight radius.

No - Not HK sights... There are more like M16A1 apature, L/S flips with a quasi A2 knob. I think it is (was) a propriatary Vulcan thing that didn't sell well. I got mine in '05 for $98. The fine tuning I did was to add a detent to make the windage clicks more positive and hold better (a little loose on the knob for my tastes..) If you want, hit me up on IM and I will see if I can take some better pics of what I have.

I need reading glasses these days and wear them, not to see the target, but to see my rear sight...

There is a post on here somewhere where a guy took come square tubing from Lowes/Home Depot and made the base. He then used G.I. M16A1 and M16A2 sight parts to make two rears for his AK's. I am thinking of going this route as the Vulcan sights are now like hen's teeth. Nothing against the HK-welded-to-top-cover options, mind you... I just like the AR/M16-style, L/S range flip apature better. [Also, the HK sight means an HK front too...] With this arrangement, I can use the stock front.