I have only the most basic of tools and am going to outline how this is done as such. It is possible with very few, simple tools. There are other ways to do with, with a press (about $129-179 at Harbor Freight) and metric bits/pins. Below is how I did it, this method uses minimal tools and what I have on hand.
Tools I used:
- Sledge Hammer
- Ball Peen Hammer
- Wood Block
- 3/32 Titanium Bit
- Iron nails
First, begin by removing the factory front sight block and barrel shroud. The barrel shroud is attached to the front sight block, and can be removed either separately or together.
The Saiga's front sight block is not pinned on like a regular AK's is, it has dimples and is pressed on . Some have regular pinned on front sight blocks. Mine is dimpled on.
IMG_1538.JPG 302.68KB 442 downloads
To remove the dimpled block, I cut paralell to the barrel, right along the dimples with a dremel. I went very slow, and every so often tried to smash it off with the sledge hammer. You don't want to cut into the barrel by accident, only a little kiss, not even. Eventually, after cutting enough, simply smack it with the sledge hammer and it will come flying off in two pieces.
IMG_1539.JPG 739.65KB 296 downloads
When you put the gun in the vise to smash anything, don't squeeze the receiver. You're gonna be pounding on it with a sledge hammer so you do not want to put stress on the receiver, you can probably fuck the gun up pretty bad that way. You will be smacking this thing pretty hard with a sledge hammer so be aware of how and where you are striking the gun and not putting undue pressure on parts.
IMG_1541.JPG 125.53KB 253 downloads
Now the block is ready to be installed. Due to legal reasons mine had to be welded in place, my brake and block are one unit, and the bayonet lug is ground off. When doing this part, you would do this with just the sight block, or a welded unit in some states. I was surprised that I was actually able to press it on with my hands maybe the first 1/5 of the way.
IMG_1542.JPG 57.86KB 226 downloads
After that I took the rubber mallet, and was able to smack it on about halfway. From there, I eyeballed the sight tower and whacked it with the hammer, gently, to index it roughly.
IMG_1543.JPG 76.65KB 213 downloads
From there, A little more indexing, and then a wood block on top of the brake, pounded with a sledge hammer. I had a hard time rigging it up in the vice, do I just held it in one hand with the other hand using the hammer. After it was on about 3/4 the way, I took the wood block down and just used hammer to the brake. Once it was fully down, I indexed it one final time. This time I used a piece of string tied to the buttstock, put it in the rear sight notch, and then had the string (dental floss) against the top of the post, and eyeballed how even it was with the barrel. Not really the most scientific way or anything, but I was sober so there's a 1-up on the typical east bloc factory worker
After that, I drilled through the holes with a 3/32 drill bit, making sure to go carefully and evenly. After that, I took some nails and pounded them through with the sledge hammer, then with the block against the anvil on the vise, keep straightening and pounding them with the sledge and ball peen until they were driven in hard and seized up good. You can tell because the nail will be bending outside the block and needing straightened more and more.
IMG_1544.JPG 360.27KB 199 downloads
Then I cut the excess nail off, and did a little more pounding with a sledge/punch and then the ball peen again. Some final touch up and it's good to go.
IMG_1547.JPG 133.43KB 170 downloads
Hopes this helps someone. Big thanks to everyone who helped me along the way, especially Nalioth and Paulski.
Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov, 07 May 2010 - 07:01 PM.