Anybody run a EoTech on their AK?

Given the difficulty in finding what I want in a Comm Bloc Red Dot at a decent price, I was wondering, does anybody here run a EoTech holosight on their AK? IF so, how do you like it? Thinking an EoTech on a weaver rail might be the way to go...

I run an EOTech 511 on my UTG quad rail. It's a "scout mount" type setup, but sits just above my vertical forgrip, and the sight picture is fine! I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I really do. I'm able to assure the sight is steady with that grip just under it.

The other option was on a side mount rail above the reciever, but I tried that and hated it. I just don't like that mount one little bit, YMMV.

Juggernaut used to run one with his Saiga 12 on a HALO setup. He doesn't now, as I think he said it was a tad nose heavy. That might have had something to do with the combined weight of the EO Tech AND the HALO though.

I opted for an Aimpoint T-1 on an Ultimak. Much lighter. The EO Tech is a great sight however and you should be pleased with it. I understand they'll go through batteries faster than a regular red dot though.

I run the new Eotech XPS on my Bulgarian Krinkov and I like it alot.

I have an EOtech XPS too, how is your mounted?

I have mine mounted in a scout configuration on a utg quad rail. I'm thinking of tossing the qaud rail and changing to an ultimak but I'm worried about heat. Got any insight about the XPS and its heat resistance?

an aimpoint t-1 or h-1 on an ultimak is the way to go as it will cowitness. I'd save your eotech for your s-12. If you run a chaos extended rail you can use buis and cowitness with that. Though i dig the eotech circle/dot reticle i don't like the battery drain issues. You can leave a t-1 on for 5 years.

Looking to keep the furniture stock, so that only leaves me the side rail option. Been looking for a Kobra or a PKAS with no success. Eastwave told me last week that had some Kobra's in stock, but with shipping it came to $434! Might as well go with a US made optic for that kind of dough... :dollar:

Have an older (94) EOTech. Short battery version. Been on Fn Fal, Socom, S-12, and Krebs AK. 1,000's of rounds. Never a problem. Son has it on an Ak now. He really likes, I did too. Just that I went back to using iron, off colored illumination tips (yellow/red self applied). Seen 512's getting around $400 range lately. Sold all except 4 Kobra's to board members. (Youngest loves the halo/red on weapons). Probably too cheap for what I see they are bringing on open auctions, yet I'm glad others will get good use out of them. Had 9 at one time. :smoke:

Looking to keep the furniture stock, so that only leaves me the side rail option. Been looking for a Kobra or a PKAS with no success. Eastwave told me last week that had some Kobra's in stock, but with shipping it came to $434! Might as well go with a US made optic for that kind of dough... :dollar:

Not sure if you saw my post in your WTB thread, but the PK-A might be a good choice for you.

Not sure if you saw my post in your WTB thread, but the PK-A might be a good choice for you.

Thanks Jim. I just read that post. Not that I have my heart set on the PKAS, as I have some minor reservations about it and the Kobra. Just thought these were the best of the lot currently. Have even considered a PK23. I've read some good things about it elsewhere, and some speak very highly of it.

$400 is my ceiling for an optic, so that rules out most Aimpoints anyway. The Eotech can be found in the $350 range, so I'm mulling over whether to go that route or stick with the Commbloc red dots...

Thanks Jim. I just read that post. Not that I have my heart set on the PKAS, as I have some minor reservations about it and the Kobra. Just thought these were the best of the lot currently. Have even considered a PK23. I've read some good things about it elsewhere, and some speak very highly of it.

$400 is my ceiling for an optic, so that rules out most Aimpoints anyway. The Eotech can be found in the $350 range, so I'm mulling over whether to go that route or stick with the Commbloc red dots...

It's neat that, with the PK-A and PK-AS, you can use the irons without removing anything. The rapid adjustability of elevation is cool too. If neither of those things are important to you, the EOTech would be a superior option.

I run EoTechs on my Saiga 12 & AK. It's great for transitioning targets while firing. Very clear sight picture. I would recommend the one that runs off of AA batteries. Seems to have better battery life and batteries are readily available.

here's an entertaining video of me shooting close range at a helmet and log.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPI4cCmaw

I run EoTechs on my Saiga 12 & AK. It's great for transitioning targets while firing. Very clear sight picture. I would recommend the one that runs off of AA batteries. Seems to have better battery life and batteries are readily available.

here's an entertaining video of me shooting close range at a helmet and log.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPI4cCmaw

Nice vid! Man, you made that AK sing...! :super:

I run a Trijicon Reflex II with a cheveron reticle 'cause I hate dealing with batteries (and it's less bulky).

It also co-witnesses...

How do you have it mounted?

I run a Trijicon Reflex II with a cheveron reticle 'cause I hate dealing with batteries (and it's less bulky).

It also co-witnesses...

How much does a Trijicon reflex go for?

I have an Ultimak tube with this mounted on it...

I like the tritium illumination as it is always on... for 10 to 12 years. Then it only cost about $25 to get Trijicon to replace the H3 lamp. I've never used the chem-lite port.

They run (new) from about $400 - $550, depending on model, reticle, and mounting options. They are about 1/2 the bulk and weight of an EOtech.

Trijicon Reflex RX09-23 14.4 MOA Amber Chevron Reticle with Cyalume Port & A.R.M.S #15 Throw Lever Mount. Developed to overcome washout on certain missions, this reflex has a port for a cyalume stick. Trijicon technologically advanced Reflex sights offer shooters the perfect combination of speed and precision under virtually any lighting conditions.

post-1473-12730614522238_thumb.jpg

I like the tritium illumination as it is always on... for 10 to 12 years. Then it only cost about $25 to get Trijicon to replace the H3 lamp. I've never used the chem-lite port.

They run (new) from about $400 - $550, depending on model, reticle, and mounting options. They are about 1/2 the bulk and weight of an EOtech.

Trijicon Reflex RX09-23 14.4 MOA Amber Chevron Reticle with Cyalume Port & A.R.M.S #15 Throw Lever Mount. Developed to overcome washout on certain missions, this reflex has a port for a cyalume stick. Trijicon technologically advanced Reflex sights offer shooters the perfect combination of speed and precision under virtually any lighting conditions.

No shit, and it cowitnesses? I thought the reflexes would be too high to cowitness.

I really like this idea. Could you post some pictures of your setup and how the reflex cowitnesses?

Thx :super:

I went with the Bushnell derivative and found the battery life way less than the EOtech. Had it on for a while then put it on my M4. Been there a

while. I'm not sure which way to go. From what I read they both share some technology and are made by the same company or were. Anybody

have the truth?? Sorry to Hijack. I have about 3000 rds through the M4 with it on and it stays on the money.

No shit, and it cowitnesses? I thought the reflexes would be too high to cowitness.

I really like this idea. Could you post some pictures of your setup and how the reflex cowitnesses?

Thx :super:

+1, I don't see how that set up could co-witness. Of course, with a very rugged sight that does not use batteries on a QD mount, it may not really matter.

Edited by hogdog

an aimpoint t-1 or h-1 on an ultimak is the way to go as it will cowitness. I'd save your eotech for your s-12. If you run a chaos extended rail you can use buis and cowitness with that. Though i dig the eotech circle/dot reticle i don't like the battery drain issues. You can leave a t-1 on for 5 years.

+1! A micro Aimpoint on an Ultimak railed gas tube is a great option for an AK. The Eotech would be better utilized on an S-12 IMHO.

+1, I don't see how that set up could co-witness. Of course, with a very rugged sight that does not use batteries on a QD mount, it may not really matter.

Not only that, but the Trijicon Reflex and RMR dots have a tendency to wash out in certain lighting conditions. I've handled several Reflex models and briefly owned an RMR.

If only some company would combine the black dot feature of the PK-AS with the tritium/ambient illumnation of the Reflex, we would have a winner. The TriPower was a good idea in concept, but I'm told the execution was lacking.

I had a N-cell EOtech on my .223. I used the Scout Scope.com mount. Loved the EOtech, loved the mount, but they just didn't work together for me(window was way too high). If I had a Ultimac rail it would have worked out better IMHO.DSC00104.jpg

Edited by Havoc308

Think I've narrowed it down to a Trijicon reflex or a Eotech now. Just need to make the decision as to which will work best on a AK sidemount...

Edited by Jpanzer

I wonder which one is more durable a Reflex II or an Aimpoint H-1?

I'm basically looking for the most dependable and durable ultimak setup.

post-10068-12732709526734_thumb.jpg

Edited by Krom
  • 3 weeks later...

Think I've narrowed it down to a Trijicon reflex or a Eotech now. Just need to make the decision as to which will work best on a AK sidemount...

Seems like either would be awfully high in a side mount. What about a mini RDS like a Fastfire?

• 2 weeks later...