Hi all.

I'm looking for a red dot sight with around 3x magnification for my Saiga rifle. I know I can run a magnifier behind a red dot like some do on M4s, but I'd prefer a single unit if possible. Otherwise, it'd end up something like the top one here:

MyConcepts2.jpg

It could go on a side mount or a beryl mount, I don't care. A receiver cover mount might be a bit too unstable, but I've never tried one. I assume a magnifyer wouldn't have enough eye relief to mount on an Ultimak like the T1 Aimpoint is in the drawing. Maybe a magnified pistol scope with a red dot?

Thoughts?

Corbin, the only magnified reddot I know of is a BSA, search BSA 3x reddot, Aimpoint used to make one, but I don't think they make it anymore.

The magnified reddots are NOT unlimited eye relief, so you will not be able to mount on Ultimak.

If I don't go with an Ultimak, which I love on my Draco, I might go with something mounted on the side rail:

MyConceptsrail2.jpg

That way I wouldn't have to get a long eye relief scope. I'm wanting more than 2X but no more than 4X. 3X sounds about right. Probably with a quick detach mount.

I'd prefer to stay away from crosshairs. Red dots or a small illuminated center section would be what I'm looking for here. Not sure if folks are familiar with the "Bindon Aiming Concept", but that's what I'm going for.

In a nutshell, you have a magnified red dot or something like the T31 ACOG with a glowing chevron. 3X seems good. At close range, you focus on the target with both eyes open and your brain superimposes the glowing dot/chevron onto the target. At longer ranges, you focus on the larger image in the scope for more precision. I used this technique on an M4 and liked it.

Edited by Corbin

IOR 3 x 25 QR-TS CQB. It's 3x, got a bright as hell (if need be) CQB "horseshoe" reticle with ranging reticle. Not unlimited eye relief, like an Eotech or Aimpoint red dot, but helluva fine 3x fast acquisition, illuminated, fit-in-yer-fist scope.

They show up on ebay for $400 or so fairly regularly.

JMHO...

guido

I spent a couple days at the gun show this last weekend comparing different scopes & mounts while helping out Juggernaut a little at his booth. More like he was helping me though by giving me a place to keep my stuff while I looked around.

Saturday I picked up a side mount for the Saiga 223. Nothing special. Just a locking lever type rail. Sunday I ended up getting a 2X red dot scope to try out. It actually has 3 dots in a vertical line. I think it's for crossbows, but I'm not sure. The 2X magnifier can unscrew, if I wanted a simple 1X. Might not be my final solution for the 223, but it'll do for now.

It's this one:

76965821.jpg

Haven't had an offset mount before. I'm wondering if it'll be any different than one lined up with the bore.

I'll take pics soon.

Edited by Corbin

Yep, it is the Barska. Have had one for several months and more than 100 rounds through the rifle with it mounted. At our home range today, on the second shot one of the lenses dropped down out of place. Also, the view at 2X on mine is just a touch off focus. In general, before today I was reasonably satisfied with it. Now it depends on what Barska will do for me. You can get them for less than $99. One more thing - when mounted on the rail, it tends to slide forward because there isn't any way to lock it in one of the grooves of the rail. Maybe I really am not as satisfied with as I thought!! :unsure:

The BSA 3X tactical red dot is a massive scope. I bought one but returned it because of the size. It seemed well made and there is an iris at each end to act as a lens cover or to regulate the amount of light.

Edited by oliverb

Yep, I am certain yours is a Barska. They are identical. I e-mailed Barska customer service last might with an inquiry for replacement. Asked them if they would replace my Tactical version with the one in the link below. Looks like a newer version w/o the other rails and looks like the rear tensioner screw is lower so it will lock in a groove and not slide forward as you shoot. No matter how much I tightened the score on the rail, it would still slide forward. Examined mine more carefully last night and the LED still glows but an internal lens is knocked loose and you can no longer see the dot. Don't expect to hear from them until next week.

http://www.barska.com/ac11090.html

Here is a link to a Barska 2x (open-type) RD that someone mentioned to me last year as being good.

Was like $60 but most places are out of stock..

This place has them for $40

http://www.rockfordoutfitters.com/servlet/the-88/Brunton-Lite-dsh-Tech-Red-Dot/Detail

I dunno.

Just found out Barska make an AimPoint type clone 1x20 also for $80.. (and free shipping)

http://www.shopbarska.com/Riflescope-BARSKA_1x20mm_Micro_RED_DOT_Free_Shipping.html

Al