Gas tube misaligned with barrel!

Its hard to photograph but the gas tube/gas block is off a few degrees to the left(when sighting)from center.It makes it hard to shoot as it shoots to the right, the gun was purchased a week ago, shot it about 150 times and was having an exceptionally hard time hitting clays, i shot a rock on the ground about 25 yards away and with the bead dead on the rock the pattern hit completely right of the rock.

I tried greasing it and banging it with a rubber mallet to no avail, aside from the fact that its aim is off it is frustrating to have a crooked gun. Any way this is covered under warranty? If not, about how much would it cost to be fixed do you think?

Thanks

The proper term for what you are seeing would be: canted gas block

All of mine are canted too. I have a pretty good idea of how to correct it, but I am not a pro and, I too, eagerly await the advice of a pro on this subject.

Cadiz Gun works does the warranty work for RAA and I think this is one of the issues they address under warranty. If you don't mind shipping it out for repair, I believe the actual repair is free. You may incur fees to get your weapon there and back. Possibly shipping and transfer, but I am not sure. I'm sure someone who has sent theirs back will comment on it.

ETA: I just picked up a brand new one a couple hours ago and it has a canted block too.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Its mildly frustrating, I mean I'm having trouble shooting low brass with it, I thought it had blocked gas ports but does not. Upon inspecting gas ports I realized the gas-block was canted and the blow back piston appears to off center inside the gas tube but I have no way of measuring it.

I sometimes wonder if the gas blocks are aligned to compensate for ports drilled out of alignment.... I love tearing these guns down, sorting out the issues, optimizing the engineering and putting them back together performing to their full potential.

One thing is certain, no two of these guns are exactly alike. I've seen them come in with perfectly arranged ports, and dead on alignment - and with canted blocks - and ports that look like they were drilled by blind chimpanzees doing contract work.

If the warranty work doesn't do it for you, I can fix your problem, and transform your gun into one that shoots right where you point it, every time, with practically any ammo you want to use - and no aftermarket parts. It isn't free, but I've never had anyone I've built a gun for tell me it wasn't worth every penny.

Guaranteed.

I sometimes wonder if the gas blocks are aligned to compensate for ports drilled out of alignment.... I love tearing these guns down, sorting out the issues, optimizing the engineering and putting them back together performing to their full potential.

One thing is certain, no two of these guns are exactly alike. I've seen them come in with perfectly arranged ports, and dead on alignment - and with canted blocks - and ports that look like they were drilled by blind chimpanzees doing contract work.

If the warranty work doesn't do it for you, I can fix your problem, and transform your gun into one that shoots right where you point it, every time, with practically any ammo you want to use - and no aftermarket parts. It isn't free, but I've never had anyone I've built a gun for tell me it wasn't worth every penny.

Guaranteed.

Well.... when Mike gets done with it, it will still need something.... more ammo!

Guaranteed.

I saw some videos of your optimized guns,they are amazing. Can you pm me with an approximate price for your optimization? Or does it vary?

Guaranteed.

Well.... when Mike gets done with it, it will still need something.... more ammo!

Lol! You got that right... last trip to the range to test guns we burned through 300+ shells in about 20 minutes. Most of the time was spent loading drums, mags, and policing shells :devil:.

Guaranteed.

Lol! You got that right... last trip to the range to test guns we burned through 300+ shells in about 20 minutes. Most of the time was spent loading drums, mags, and policing shells :devil:.

You wouldn't happen to be in need of an assistant, would you? You don't even have to pay me, well maybe a sammich for lunch :lolol:

Guaranteed.

I saw some videos of your optimized guns,they are amazing. Can you pm me with an approximate price for your optimization? Or does it vary?

PM Sent.

Guaranteed.

You wouldn't happen to be in need of an assistant, would you? You don't even have to pay me, well maybe a sammich for lunch :lolol:

You can bring a sammich when you come out here this summer...lol! There's a Subway just down the street from the workshop :lolol:

As Mike alluded to, fixing the cant in the gas block is easy, but could possibly cause your ports to be misaligned with the hole in the bottom of the gas block. Work like this is better sent to the pros to do. If doing it yourself, you should be prepared to knock out the blind pins holding the gas block to the barrel, adjust it to where it's sitting straight, then make sure the ports are all still clear to deliver gas through the hole in the gas block. If not then the hole in the gas block may need to be opened up some, or depending on just how bad a job they did at the factory, you may even need to drill a new port or so....

Once everything is aligned and the ports are unobstructed, it may be necessary to re-drill the holes for the blind pins before re-installing them to keep it in it's correct location.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue on a 24" S12. The gas block was severely canted and it was annoying and caused issues with shooting slugs. The way I fixed the latter was getting an aftermarket front sight that clamped on the barrel. I then took out the bead and could shoot straight.

I was going to spend several hundred bucks to have the barrel cut to 18.5" and the gas block aligned when I decided to just give it a try.

Like Cobra & LoneStar said, you may have bigger issues with the port holes not being lined up properly, but the hole in the bottom of the gas block is quite large and allows a lot room for error.

I sawed my barrel down to 18.7" (to allow a grinder to clean it up) and when I took out the plug I noticed it had 3 ports. I knew I would have functioning issues with just the three, so I had to take the gas block off to drill another port. I used a 15" 2x4 as a dowel to hammer down on the gas block after removing the pins. I used another 2x4 and a towel on the ground to keep the barrel from getting burred while I was hitting the 2x4 on the gas block.

When I replaced the gas block by hammering it on while aligning the gas tube (using a 2x4 as a dowel again), it was finally aligned and to my surprise, the pins fit fine. I had to do it twice because I still needed to open up the ports to get reliable function despite the addition of the 4th port. A GunFixr gas plug from MDArms wasn't available at the time but has since been added for versatility.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and I felt much more confident in my ability to work on the Saiga after this experience. The other beautiful thing is any dents in the gas block from hammering it off (some are tighter than others) will be covered by the handguard.