opinion of promag drum

My local store has pro mag 20 round drums in stock for about $100. Is this worth getting? Everyone has raved about the MD 20 round drums and I put in an order for one before I even bought the shotgun. It sure is tempting to pick up a promag now, but I don't want to spend so much if its junk.

I'm in the same boat,

I respect MD for what he has done for the industry (and this forum), his drum's appear to be the bar at which others are held to.

It boils down to what you are going to use it for. I trust MD arms with mine and my family's life. I currently do not have the same confidence in the PM drum. I will get one for the range, but it will take some time to have it as my primary go to magazine.

My 2 cents.

Loading is easier with the pro-mag, and they work with my machine guns. Basically the drums both have the same feeding issues with the lighter loads, and they may both need fitting. Pro-mag has the lifetime warranty. Still waiting on my latest order of both.

Both drums are very good. For $100, the price is more than right. Personally, I don't think the price competition can last forever, and as the economy heats up and demand increases I expect to see prices go up and not down.

I paid $260, and $150 respectively for my MD arms drums. When I found one at a gun show for $150 - I was very happy. When the ProMag drum came out about two months later at $128, I wrote the company and asked to test one. I was skeptical that a company could deliver a quality drum at $130 bucks, but My buddy Tom bought one - so I had two to test, and both ProMag drums tested beautifully.

There are differences in the drums (MD and ProMag), but both perform well, and at $100 - I don't think you can go wrong.

My advice is to get them at that price while you can - because I think that price will increase with demand.

JHMO

I don't really care what anyone else says about the Promag drums. I bought one just as soon as it came out and made up my own mind about it....long before anyone else here had one and was posting about it. It looked and felt sturdy enough to me to spend around 90 bucks on at my local shop. I took a bunch of pics of it and posted them here with videos, about a month after I bought it... but unfortunately, too many people got their panties all in a wad about it and trashed the thread, so bad it got thrown in the fight club...or the trash....or both. It was really sad to see how it made some people act :rolleyes:

Even though it ran great in a bunch of different guns, and has had close to a thousand rds through it by now, and is still doing great, there are a lot of people who just can't handle the fact that it's made by Promag. To me, I don't care if it was made by K mart, it's every bit as good as the other drums on the market. That's my opinion that you asked for, and I'm sticking to it. Until it actually fails in some way, I will keep liking it more than the other 20 rd drums I have by AA and MD Arms. I like it better for a number of reasons. It has worked great in every S-12 I've tried it in, and four or five other people now..., as Vankiller mentioned, it's easier to load, it's a little smaller, has a more ergonomic design without any sharp edges that could cause an injury if fallen on, it's less expensive, Lifetime Warranty (also mentioned above), comes in 3 different sizes for the S-12 alone (with more on the way for the S-20 and S-410), is more widely available (it was the only drum for an S-12 in my small town gun shop), and I even have more reasons but those alone will keep me buying Promag drums. Everyone has a right to their own opinion though. My opinion is, go out and buy all the Saiga mags and accessories you can afford to, then make up your own which ones are worth the money.

Some how - I sense - after the Great FBMG "Customer Service" Dibacle, that everything that comes after will be measured by the same stick!

I have a ProMag 12 and love it! I love the MD drums! I don't own a Promag 20, but... hey...? None of this would be possible without AMERICAN enginuity! Save for the Factory 8rds from Oleg... The only Hi-cap mags for Saigas are U.S. made - in whole or in part!

If it works - use it

If it isn't to AK standards.... Tough shit... Buy the Russian Equivalent....

Otherwise... quite bitchen!

Be thankful for what you have...

(Don't get me started on Bvamp and the "non-linear feeding divice fiasco" we had here 2 years ago....)

Macbeau sends...

I don't really care what anyone else says about the Promag drums. I bought one just as soon as it came out and made up my own mind about it....long before anyone else here had one and was posting about it. It looked and felt sturdy enough to me to spend around 90 bucks on at my local shop. I took a bunch of pics of it and posted them here with videos, about a month after I bought it... but unfortunately, too many people got their panties all in a wad about it and trashed the thread, so bad it got thrown in the fight club...or the trash....or both. It was really sad to see how it made some people act :rolleyes:

Even though it ran great in a bunch of different guns, and has had close to a thousand rds through it by now, and is still doing great, there are a lot of people who just can't handle the fact that it's made by Promag. To me, I don't care if it was made by K mart, it's every bit as good as the other drums on the market. That's my opinion that you asked for, and I'm sticking to it. Until it actually fails in some way, I will keep liking it more than the other 20 rd drums I have by AA and MD Arms. I like it better for a number of reasons. It has worked great in every S-12 I've tried it in, and four or five other people now..., as Vankiller mentioned, it's easier to load, it's a little smaller, has a more ergonomic design without any sharp edges that could cause an injury if fallen on, it's less expensive, Lifetime Warranty (also mentioned above), comes in 3 different sizes for the S-12 alone (with more on the way for the S-20 and S-410), is more widely available (it was the only drum for an S-12 in my small town gun shop), and I even have more reasons but those alone will keep me buying Promag drums. Everyone has a right to their own opinion though. My opinion is, go out and buy all the Saiga mags and accessories you can afford to, then make up your own which ones are worth the money.