I've been dealing with my 2wd manual trans ranger in the snowy north that is Central NY for way too long. That said, after this last outage I made it a priority to find something with 4wd for the next winter. At first I started out looking at jeeps...

Then I found a 1985 M1009 CUCV 2500 Blazer...

29446_1413167365049_1108478863_31225266_6169039_n.jpg

29446_1413167245046_1108478863_31225264_7519932_n.jpg

Already started working on it.

29446_1413167645056_1108478863_31225271_7605282_n.jpg

29446_1413167685057_1108478863_31225272_7400958_n.jpg

I love the idea of waking up and hoping into a piece of military history that is only 16 months younger than I am...

29446_1413167165044_1108478863_31225262_3199124_n.jpg

Anything other than cosmetic repairs?

The suspension is kindof tired, shocks are beat and leafs are sagging...

On the up-Side...

FUCK YEAH!!!

Straight axle, so easy to lift, easy to work on, removable top, BAD-ASS!!

Plus, something to weld & fab shit for...

Can you say...... Snorkel & rag top?

Yeap! a 4" lift is cheaper than a stock suspension, and damnit, I would LOVE a snorkel...

Where did you get that ribbon? I must have one!

AKAstormi bought it for me as a gift...

FUCK YEAH!!!

Straight axle, so easy to lift, easy to work on, removable top, BAD-ASS!!

Plus, something to weld & fab shit for...

Can you say...... Snorkel & rag top?

Yeap! a 4" lift is cheaper than a stock suspension, and damnit, I would LOVE a snorkel...

Easy enough to make.

Go to a salvage yard & find a piece that attaches to carbs for vehicles with square air filter boxes, use 4" flex pipe for the bends, 4" ABS for the main rise, & a cone filter (like rice rockets use) with a coffee can on top (to keep rain out).

Or...

the air intake from one of those UD or Mitsubishi delivery box trucks & a canister filter.

The trick is sealing it up with silicone.

The REAL trick is sealing the cap & plug wires with silicone. It's hard to keep the plug & coil wire caps from slipping up & screwing up the seal while the silicone drys.

I had my YJ able to run with water up to the windshield after I did mine...

Of course if it were diesel, it would be easier, as there is no ignition shit to worry about.

Easy enough to make.

My concern is that this will be a daily driven vehicle in a environment where shoveling large amounts of snow off your vehicle is the norm. Realisticly its not that practical to have one where I'm at given the purpose I have in mind.

A block heater may be more important.

I'll still look into it, and If i find a setup I feel will handle the weather properly I will probably chase it.

Right now I'm thinking 33x10.5R15 tires and a 4" lift.

Tall yet reasonably narrow tires allow me to put my weight where I'm driving, cutting into the snow rather than driving on top of it, and maintain good clearance for drifts.

Don't forget, you're still going to need a good set of chains for all four wheels. All of my 4x4s have gotten stuck in snow that was not super deep because I thought I could get by without the chains "just this one time".

Lift kit, battery heater, block heater, Narrow-ish tires, chains, DAMN GOOD HEATER! Or do like I plan on, move to a kinder climate!

Nice truck! i still mourn my '47 Power Wagon that was stolen 20 years ago!

• 1 month later...

Nice , did you yank the diessel and pop in a 350 yet?

Why would I do that? if anything I'll get a banks turbo for it after I take care of the rest of the mods I want to do.

the 6.2 pulls it around perfectly, and has already been meeting my towing needs with ease. I'm averaging 20-21MPG.

If anything after my priorities are all met for mods I'll banks turbo it.

Nice , did you yank the diessel and pop in a 350 yet?

Why would I do that? if anything I'll get a banks turbo for it after I take care of the rest of the mods I want to do.

the 6.2 pulls it around perfectly, and has already been meeting my towing needs with ease. I'm averaging 20-21MPG.

If anything after my priorities are all met for mods I'll banks turbo it.

All of the CUCV diesseld around here seem to be rhode hard and put back wet. That usually the first thing to be done because 350 stuff is every where and reliable as hell. The 6.2 stuff isn't as easy to come by.

All of the CUCV diesseld around here seem to be rhode hard and put back wet. That usually the first thing to be done because 350 stuff is every where and reliable as hell. The 6.2 stuff isn't as easy to come by.

Its harder to find than the most common engine on the face of the planet, yes.

that said, its not that hard. Complete rebuilt drop in engines can be had for VERY reasonable prices considering they are a diesel.

8dba_1.jpg

this goes for $4250.00 for example...

Good find. If your looking for a good all around AT tire, I use Yokohama Geolander AT-S, suppose to be decent in snow and whatnot, but they are a bit pricey. That thing would look great with 17 or 18" black wheels and some beefy, big walled AT tires.

I love this type of truck. I'm also looking for one, hopefully get a nice desert dog. And I love the 6.2L desiel, had one in a 85 chevy silverado and that baby would get up and haul ass, and great on fuel for the type of vehicle it is.

HUZZAH!!

Get a set of General Grabber AT2's. They are a good tire, and relatively aggressive, and not much in the way of road noise. They also dont break the bank... I have a set of 31 X 10.5s on my lil Nissan pickup and it has yet to get stuck ANYWHERE... They also seem to wear amazingly well... I have had mine on for a year now, and they still look new... :up:

:smoke:

Buckshot mudders.

Great gas milage for an MT, good price & they last longer than many styles. (BFG MT copied them byut used softer rubber)

Too bad the old style buckshot mudders aren't around. They were a really hard rubber & had a connected center tread so they could see the 60,000 mile mark.

It would be ridiculous to have a fire breathing 4X & put ATs on it unless you're just trying to show off or you're going for a rock crawler, & New york isn't the desert.

When TSHTF, ATs clog up.

• 1 month later...