Purchasing my first gun tomorrow, Saiga 5.45

Hows it going guys, new to the site, new to this style of gun as well.

Basically, I am trying to figure out as many places to look at tomorrow for my purchase of the rifle. So far, I have only found two places that have it,

$325 Saiga 5.45 Centerfire Systems OUT OF STOCK

$360 Saiga 5.45 Atlantic Firearms

The Atlantic setup comes with a 5 round clip instead of 10 round clip that CFS offers and yet it costs $35 more. Anyone know if they price match? Hey, its worth asking, the Race shops do :D

So.. any extra info would be helpful, any other places that are competitive? I am going to get back to reading all I can on the 5.45. I spent about 14 hours today reading on the 5.45 AK-74 before deciding to just going the right route, which is converting one of these bad boys and not messing with a Lancaster or Century setup.

Edited by The_EE

Great choice. Ammo's relatively cheap, and with conversion you have as close to a real Russian AK74 as you're legally able to get.

Where in Missouri are you? I am in Clinton.

Great choice. Ammo's relatively cheap, and with conversion you have as close to a real Russian AK74 as you're legally able to get.

Saint Louis suburb here.

Saint Louis suburb here.

Ahh ok.. so you would not know of any local area's around here to go shooting. I moved out here from Southern California...figured since I can own one here, might as well finally get one. Dont know where I can go shoot at though, going to have to find out :)

Saint Louis suburb here.

Ahh ok.. so you would not know of any local area's around here to go shooting. I moved out here from Southern California...figured since I can own one here, might as well finally get one. Dont know where I can go shoot at though, going to have to find out :)

There is at least one local range you can shoot to 100 yds., and a couple other within reasonable driving distance that you can do more than that. If I can help just PM me.

Saint Louis suburb here.

There is at least one local range you can shoot to 100 yds., and a couple other within reasonable driving distance that you can do more than that. If I can help just PM me.

I think 100 yards will do fine, I have not fired a gun since 90 or 91 so I will be getting back into the swing of things, its like riding a bike right?

Whats the laws out here on folding stocks? I did some searching using google and could not find any info on it, figured you might know, if you dont, I can find out when I talk with the guy with the FFL today, I would assume he would know then again, he tried to correct me ( saying AK-47 ) when I was asking about the AK-74 ammo availability a couple days ago :D

Edited by The_EE

Saint Louis suburb here.

I think 100 yards will do fine, I have not fired a gun since 90 or 91 so I will be getting back into the swing of things, its like riding a bike right?

Whats the laws out here on folding stocks? I did some searching using google and could not find any info on it, figured you might know, if you dont, I can find out when I talk with the guy with the FFL today, I would assume he would know then again, he tried to correct me ( saying AK-47 ) when I was asking about the AK-74 ammo availability a couple days ago :D

Missouri's firearms laws are pretty liberal--no problems with folding stocks, SBS, SBR, silencers, etc. A lot of FFL's/dealers are just salesmen and know nothing about firearms or the law. I deal with a local FFL, an 07 (manufacturer), a custom gunsmith, who is a true master gunsmith, trained in Europe, and has a background as a SF sniper, who knows his stuff and does not deal in bullshit.

Saint Louis suburb here.

Missouri's firearms laws are pretty liberal--no problems with folding stocks, SBS, SBR, silencers, etc. A lot of FFL's/dealers are just salesmen and know nothing about firearms or the law. I deal with a local FFL, an 07 (manufacturer), a custom gunsmith, who is a true master gunsmith, trained in Europe, and has a background as a SF sniper, who knows his stuff and does not deal in bullshit.

Dont know if I like the idea of dealers who know nothing about what they are dealing in.

I just ordered my 5.45 from Atlantic less than a hour ago. Grabbed the 4 mag deal from Centerfire ( really should have grabbed another 4 ) and 2 cans of ammo from AIM.

Do the cleaning kits come with oil or should I run out and buy some now to have it ready?

Edited by The_EE

Well, I am happy I picked up two cans of ammo and not one, that can opener is a life saver!

Anyways, got everything I ordered but a Email saying my rifle has shipped. Its not 4 days since ordered, no shipping notice. Grrr... wont have it by Friday now, was looking forward to throwing 500 or so rounds down the range this weekend. Damn you Atlantic, you slow bastards! :D

Only loaded 1 Magazine to see what the weight would be and get a guesstimate of the weight time 8. Man, fingers will be sore after loading 8 magazines, need to find some sort of speed loader for these things, if that exists.

SSPX0110.jpg

SSPX0112.jpg

SSPX0111.jpg

SSPX0114.jpg

SSPX0113.jpg

SSPX0115.jpg

SSPX0116.jpg

SSPX0117.jpg

Many thanks to the guys and gals at AIM and CFS for their quick shipping, also a special thanks to Albert at Accessory Arms for the ultimate in quick shipping, ordered my conversion kit on Friday and received Monday! very pleased with the looks of everything in the kit, even if the picture came out fuzzy.. getting dark.

Rifle here and converted. I really think I need to get myself some wood on this, the plastics are nice and light but I think the wood is the way to go lol..

I wont be able to shoot this bad boy until Friday. So, hopefully I did everything right, if not.. well, at least I will have a pistol to practice with. Decided to pick myself up a Springfield XD 4" 9mm. Hopefully I made the right choice. I really liked how it felt in my hand compared to the Glocks they had. I also like the fact that I could pick up the XD much cheaper new compared to a used Glock. One thing though is, I really didnt know which was I wanted to go on Ammo for it, 9mm, .40SW or .45.. I picked 9mm for price and it will likey be the most common ammo out there for pistols if SHTF.

IMG_0007.jpg

xd.jpg

Looks darn good IMHO..

When you go to shoot just keep and eye on the BHO side of the hammer spring sometimes they WALK in and jump into the trigger area which will cause you some mild drama. a slight bend outward will alleviate this.

Al

Looks darn good IMHO..

When you go to shoot just keep and eye on the BHO side of the hammer spring sometimes they WALK in and jump into the trigger area which will cause you some mild drama. a slight bend outward will alleviate this.

Al

BHO Side?

I practiced taking apart the gun and putting it back together today, got it down pretty quick, then again, its pretty simple :D

I dont think fixing a little problem will be much of an issue.

Looks good man, congrats on moving to the USA and being able to do a real build! Man, I wish my spam can came with a can opener. They forgot it so I used some vise grips and a pair of tin snips. The remains of the can look like a demon raccoon tore through that thing like it was a garbage bag :lolol: Have fun shooting!

And yeah, you did good on the XD in my opinion. My dad has a XD .40, very comfortable gun to shoot and I like the sights a lot too.

Looks good man, congrats on moving to the USA and being able to do a real build! Man, I wish my spam can came with a can opener. They forgot it so I used some vise grips and a pair of tin snips. The remains of the can look like a demon raccoon tore through that thing like it was a garbage bag :lolol: Have fun shooting!

And yeah, you did good on the XD in my opinion. My dad has a XD .40, very comfortable gun to shoot and I like the sights a lot too.

You only get the can opener if you purchase 2 cans since it comes in the case.