ok.

I've seen the video of the mag test where the rifles are dropped and boolits go everywhere. I've read where if your mags are not metal reinforced they will break,just a matter of time!

The tapco Mag looks good on my gun but It will not feed consistantly. (woof....too many beers but i've not been near guns.....) Anyway, U.S. parts count or not the things hang up in the mag on the forward stroke of the bolt. Makes a good bolt hold-open but you never know when it's gona do it! It sux!

Does anybody know if the mags will eventually feed properly? How about graphite in the mag?

All my other mags including modified Saiga mags feed no problem. What's the deal with Tapco Mags?

Thu

Never had any problem with all 5 of my tapco magazines. And I shoot all different brands of ammo. When you say it won't feed do you mean your bolt won't connect properly?

Here are a few problems that may be causing your feeding situation. 1) Bad Magazine- Some times you just get a crappy mag, with maybe a bad spring or something. Id take it back to whoever sold it to you and get it checked out. 2) Bad Ammo- I've seen some AK's (Not Saigas) Be unable to shoot Wolf ammo. It was strange but for some reason it just would not cycle. So try a different ammo type. 3) Bullet guide- Do you have one? Was it properly installed? This could be an issue.

Hope this helps.

I'd try using some steel commie mags before getting too much into working on the mags themselves. Just confirm the issue is not the rifle first. Also, for what it's worth, the steel commie mags are cheaper, more durable and more reliable than any US made magazine I've ever seen for the AK...

Tapco brand magazines are responsible for the deaths of over 16 forum members, and the injury of a small Bangladeshi child.

STAY CLEAR!

Just curious, were the sixteen deaths to innocent bystanders that were struck by flying unfired cartridges after the magazine grenaded when it hit the ground? Or were they self inflicted due to the owner's deep depression caused the magazine's failure to properly function? Did the child's demise occur in Bangladesh or stateside? "Curious minds want to know."

Tapco brand magazines are responsible for the deaths of over 16 forum members, and the injury of a small Bangladeshi child.

STAY CLEAR!

Just curious, were the sixteen deaths to innocent bystanders that were struck by flying unfired cartridges after the magazine grenaded when it hit the ground? Or were they self inflicted due to the owner's deep depression caused the magazine's failure to properly function? Did the child's demise occur in Bangladesh or stateside? "Curious minds want to know."

Hazah! :haha:

I bought 3 Tapco black 30rd mags. 2 out of 3 fed fine. The third however would get caught about halfway up the mag, like it was snagging.

The 2 that fed fine had a very slightly different color plate on the bottom, you could tell it was manufactured in a different batch. I figured I would mess around with the 3rd and see if I could fix it.

I slid the plate off the bottom of a functional mag and the one that was snagging. The functional mag fit the spring perfectly. Inside the mag that was catching, the spring didn't cover the whole plate it was pushing on under the bullet. Inside of the dysfunctional magazine the spring was backwards, applying more tension to the outside of the follower plate (I think thats the technical term) and not the inside towards the tip of the bullet. So basically, the follower did not have even pressure pushing on it from the spring underneath. This caused the front end of the follower near the bullet tip to snag inside the magazine and sort of drag.

My suggestion is to slid the plate of the bottom and reverse the spring. You may have to do a little bit of bending with a pair of vicegrips. Needless to say all 3 mages have put through about 500rds + flawlessly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replys all,

Nope, the carrier travels back and then on the forward stroke it hangs on or at the point of bolt/carrier hammer contact and the process of stripping the next round. You can slap the gun hard and it will go ahead and strip and chamber the round. This happens about every 3rd or 4th shot with the Tapco mag.

Note that the rifle works perfectly with the modded saiga and the 3 metal mags I have. It seems like the rounds just strip easier from the metal mags.

I really hate to get another Tapco mag just to see if it hangs too. Anyone run across any Norinco mags without the metal ridge on the back? I really like those.

Thu

With mine, the bolt wasn't grabbing the round because it wasn't being pushed up hard enough. The bolt would get snagged on the round. The round could have went up more by like 1/8th - 1/4 of an inch. When I would push the follower down far to about the bend of the mag, it would get hung up around that bend. It should have ALOT of tension on it. Mine would only slow down/get stuck on the bolt when I had over 10rds.

Edited by sonicfrequency
  • 2 weeks later...

i have 1 tapco mag to stay complient with the law and thats the only reason i have it. its an ok mag, it locks in nice and tight and no side to side wobble, mine feeds properly with no problems

Tapco mags are good mags for compliance and range use. I have never had an issue with one. A lot of people will knock them, but you cant knock tapco customer service. It is top notch. If you have a problem they will fix it. Cant say the same for promag. No matter what any one here says, tapco mags are good, imo.

Tapco hand guards need some work....they are lacking. But then again, well tapco customer service is good. I have had to deal with them several times and they never asked questions, just sent me replacement products within a couple days.

Below surefire tapco is great for the price.