suggestions for a gun at work?

Hey guys,

I do landscaping (yard work, mowing, weedeating etc) and I'm allowed to carry a gun with me. Some places we work are at some apartments where I know some friends have been robed before, and I've had several strange people come up to "talk to us". My problem is while I love my p2000 its hard to take it because of several reasons. 1) my clothes for work are usually a pair of shorts and a white undershirt. Its a real pain in the butt to conceal it. 2) I dont really feel like exposing my baby to the ton of dirt, dust, water, and plant matter. Dont get me wrong I have no problem should such a thing be needed, but *shrug* Thats a lot of cleaning because during the summer months we work many days during the week. 3) concealment is very very important, while we have some loyal customers I dont want to "freak any body out" if they notice that buldge.

I've considered just leaving it in the truck, but for one they could brake into the truck when we are not looking and two the gun does me no good in the truck if a dog attacks me or I get robbed.

Thus does anyone have any suggestions? guns, holsters..... etc.

I would want to keep the price to a very low min. I dont intend to use another firearm except for "at work".

One thing that grabs my attention is NAA's Black Widow in .17HRM or .22

I like that because its so small, and you can get a foldable handel with a "belt Clip" This would be good for a dog (not a large dog) but not good enough for self defense against a human.

perhaps a small revolver or something?

thanks for the help.

You should look into Thunderwear type holsters. They fit under your pants and hold the gun up in front. I see the guy at the gun shows selling these. He's wearing nothing but a pair of jeans and a t-thirt, but can pull his gun out in less than a second. You might have to forego using a belt, or loosen your belt, but if you usually wear shorts & a t-shirt, I figure that might not be important to you. Since the holster hangs in front of your underwear, you'll have to move it to one side when you want to use the bathroom, but it doesn't print through your clothes. I suppose if you use it with a big enough gun, you might show a bulge, but people might just think you're especially "gifted".

my uncle has a concealed carry permit. he is a highschool teacher so he cannot carry at work but he does everywhere else. he carries a short barrel "snubnose" 357 revolver, 5 shot i believe. I cant remember the make/model...but he absolutely loves it. Many people have told me, and it makes sense, to use a wheelgun for concealed carry.

1. you can usually get a smaller gun with a larger caliber

2. can tend to be (but not always) be more reliable than a semiauto

3. In a very tense situation,if you get hyped up on adrenaline and just start squeezing the trigger, you run out in 5 or 6 shots instead of a dozen or more

good luck with your search

i know there are a lot more guys on the forum with much more handcannon experience than I, so im sure that between all of us here, we can get you setup up with something good

HOOP

The basic idea of your question is "what small gun should I buy"?

NAA Mini's are cool- I carry one every day, but I for damn sure wouldn't get the .17 version. The .22 LR is anemic enough. If you get one, get a .22 Magnum with a .22 LR cylinder for cheap practice.

There are a number of very small Glocks, Kel Tecs, snub nosed revolvers and other makes of firearms what would ruin a bad guys day. It's all in what you prefer.

A gun that i've always considered to be a good compromise between a mousegun and a small CCW piece is the Kel Tec 9MM's.

They are very small, very reasonably priced and hold a fair amount of roundage in a caliber that isn't totally terrible...

Like any Kel Tec product, if you get a reliable one you are gold, but lemons do pop up. In Kel Tecs defense, they have great customer service.

I would suggest a bersa 380, you can find them on gunbroker for between 200-250. you can read a review of it at http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380.htm

you could use an inside the pocket holster. this site talks about them and has links to two of them (leather or kydex) at the bottom of the page 40 for the leather and 35 for kydex. http://gunnersalley.zoovy.com/category/art...pocketholsters/

so you could get the gun and a holster for under 300. I have shot one and it seems to be a good gun. i haven't used the in the pocket holster but it seems ideal for your situation. :bag:

I would suggest the Kel Tec 380 with some Extreme Shock ammo to get the biggest bang for the buck. Also, don't know if you guys have seen this or not, there is a holster that resembles a wallet that is being made for the gun. The ATF wouldn't allow them originally, but now they're good again. Gilbert's got them in. You put the gun in the leather wallet thing, which has a hole in the side, and if you need to fire, you pull out your wallet and fire. The gun stays in the wallet thing. Pretty cool. Great idea if you're getting robbed.

I found a pic online...

post-128-1114015646_thumb.jpg

I use a .32 caliber Berreta Tomcat for such occasions. It's light,shoots straight at 21' and the hydroshock type ammo I feed it blows big holes in varmits. A buddy of mine sold it to me and claimed the the knock-down power at close range is comparable to a .45acp. It cleans up easily ( I dropped it into a mudhole once but it came out fine). The downside is that they are kind of pricy but if you look hard enough one can be found for about $300. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the gun and holster info guys!

I like the idea of a the pocket holster, (or perhaps a ankle holster if I get some pants)

All the guns suggested are right on the money.

I really like P3AT because loaded its only weighs in at 10 oz.

I also liked the NAA Guaridan, but it does weighs 20 oz and is about $100 more, but looks very nice.

The beretta tomcat is also pretty nice. A again a little bit more money and a little more heavy. also only in .32

The Bersa looks cool, but again is a little bigger and the most heavy of so far seen at 25 oz.

Looks like I'll be going down to the gun store soon and hold and look at above mentioned guns, and pick one up in the next week or so. :D

I would use any good .380 auto, preferably in stainless. Get a good "in the pants" holster, and put a condom over the barell. In a dirty enviroment, a semi is better sealed against dirt. A revolver is by design open to getting dirt in the chambers and between the cylinder and frame. As a practical measure either a small auto or revolver can be placed it a sandwich bag before holstering. The cheaper bags are flimsy enough to poke your trigger finger through and also operate the controlls without removing the bag. Watever you get. clean it every night.

G O B

Kahr, Rohrbaurgh, Kel-tec...in that order. The snub-nosed revolvers are great, but heavier, harder to conceal, and lower capacity.

The Kahrs are unbelievable. A .40 will definately ruin anyone's day, though the 9mm is also amazing. Both are accurate, reliable, and easy to conceal, though rather expensive.

The Rohrbaurghs are similar to the Kahrs, but I've always heard Kahr get better reviews. Rohrbaurgh's a smaller company from what I understand, and thus can't meet the same demands and keep the costs comparable, however they make a great product and have great customer service.

The Kel-tecs are cheap but a ton of people swear by them. My verdict is still out on mine...this weekend my P-3AT and I are gonna have a heart to heart with about 300 rounds, a lot of cleaning, a lot of lube, and a lot of trial by fire. I think everyone will agree that the Kel-tec can be a quirky gun, but if you learn its quirks, it's easy on the wallet, and easy to conceal. The P11 is a great value, the only Kel-tec that I'd support.

So to sum it up:

Rohrbaurgh=9mm, concealable, realiable, attractive, accurate, 6+1 (maybe 7+1 w/ extension), $900

Kahr=9mm or .40, concealable, realiable, attractive, accurate, 5+1, 6+1, or 7+1 depending on caliber/extension, $500-600

Kel-tec=9mm or .380 or .32, concealable, questionable reliability, not the most attractive, not gonna be used for target practice but will hit CoM every time, 10+1, 6+1, or 7+1 respectively, ~$300

If you have the wallet, go with Kahr, otherwise go with a P11 and work with it until you like it. Just my 2 cents on micro-compact guns. If you want me to go into sub-compact, that's another ball-game entirely, but it will bulge whether you want it to or not, whether you holster it or not: so stick with the micro-compacts, and you'll be fine.

'Nother vote for a Smartcarry/thunderwear style holster. http://www.smartcarry.com/

I've never had anyone at work or church "make" me.

I carry a Kahr P40 & an extra mag.

I also agree with the suggestion that you get at least one knife and learn a bit about how to deploy it quickly and use it. Knives are often faster to deploy than guns. I carry two.