Odd things to load in a shot shell

I recently heard of a few things that I found odd. Crushed obsidian or glass, whole pepper corns, airsoft BBs, and used primers.

Would any of these loads hurt the barrel? If its all in the shot cup I wouldn't think it would matter. Any one hear of any thing stranger?

Rock salt is something that I hear often,and use with follow up buck shot.

Never heard of coins,marbles, or sand though. I don't think sand would do a whole lot but scare the guy.

It'd be like firring dust, once out the barrel it would just stop in mid air.

Rock salt is something that I hear often,and use with follow up buck shot.

Never heard of coins,marbles, or sand though. I don't think sand would do a whole lot but scare the guy.

It'd be like firring dust, once out the barrel it would just stop in mid air.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot35.htm

• Like 1

Looks like dime loads are an expensive less then lethal-ish way of saying get out of my house.

Still think that the sand does nothing but go bang.

However I was just talking to my cousin, who said that wood glue and sawdust mixed in to a slug works as a perfect home defense load.

It supposedly breaks when it hits something solid, thus transferring its energy to the target.

He says it leaves large black and blue bruises but won't kill. Sounds to good to be true, but I'll have to try it out on a ham.

I am betting wood glue and sawdust would turn into a solid deadly projectile... like a lump of plasticized wood! I just think of the furniture on the ol VZ58...

As far as the dimes go... I am not sure who is actually LOADING these... YES, I know they fit in the barrel... but HOW... I cant get dimes to fit in ANY shotcup/wad, and I sure as hell am not going to just zing them LOOSE outta the barrel... Maybe in a 10 gauge... but not in the 12... they just DONT QUITE FIT in the shell... :unsure:

I think too many people saw that part of the movie where they guy says its "The best buck eighty I ever spent"... and went from there...

:smoke:

perfect home defense load.

leaves large black and blue bruises but won't kill.

Sounds to good to be true

Sounds like a less lethal load, which makes it a bad choice for HD or SD. Unless you want to give the BG the lethal advantage.

Heard of rock salt.

I was shot with rock salt as a kid, it burned like hell, but did not stop me from running away from the moron who did it.

I have a ripple on one of the cheeks of my hairy butt to this day where it blistered me.

Dragon's Breath. Nothing says "...AND STAY OUT!" quite like a 12-gauge flamethrower! Even better if you've got a double-pumpgun like the Remington 1740 with DB in one pipe and Screamer noisemaker in the other (Shotgun Flashbang, anyone?), followed by buck and slug...

Don't try this at home, though.

I had some dragons breath with 4 or 000 shot in it. Didn't have as big of a flame but it could F@%$ some S!#% up. Don't remember what it was called.

• Avenger: Hollow steel balls with a low gunpowder load. Short range and low recoil, with low penetration. Could be useful in a situation requiring low penetration, such as home defense. Semi-nonlethal.
  • Bird Bombs: An explosive payload, which (in theory) detonates on impact. Roughly equivalent to an m80 firecracker.
  • Bolo: Two heavy slugs connected by piano wire. Was once known as the garrote slug. While impossible to aim, the wire becomes a very hazardous blade at muzzle velocity.
  • Bouncer: Two zytel (nylon) balls. High muzzle velocity, very low penetration. Semi-nonlethal, like rubber bullets.
  • Chain reaction: A 6-inch length of chain. Impacts in a rather random pattern.
  • Comet: A regular shotgun slug with a red tracer.
  • Detonator: Essentially, a hollow lead slug with an explosive tip. It's made with for the purpose of filling with your own explosive or other payload, which then detonates on impact.
  • Door buster: Tiny lead pellets, approaching lead dust. Impacts with full force, but over a larger area, with very little penetration.
  • Dragon's Breath: Yes, these really do exist, and yes, you can order them for $16.98 each. White phosphorous that ignites upon being shot. Creates a 100-yard flamethrower that burns for about three seconds. Contrary to popular belief, this does not damage a smooth-bore shotgun.
  • Fire siren: A small weighted whistle. Incredibly loud at muzzle velocity. Wear ear protection.
  • Flash bomb: Like the bird bomb, above, but using a flash-powder incendiary instead of an explosive one.
  • Flechette: A whole bunch of needles. High penetration.
  • Hammer: A bean-bag round; a nylon bag filled with tiny shot. High impact, but theoretically nonlethal.
  • Mini Missile: A solid lead slug with a steel core. The lead slug peels away on impact, driving the core through hard targets (like armor.)
  • Napalm: Like the Bird Bomb, above, but filled with white phosphorous, which burns very hot upon impact.
  • Pit Bull: Six big lead pelletes, and one big slug. Not that exotic, really.
  • Shredder: A lot of sharp tacks. Short range, but high trauma to flesh.
  • Smoke bomb: Essentially, the Dragon's Breath Round, only using a smoke powder instead.
  • Stinger: 16 zytel (nylon) balls. Essentially, the rubber bullet for shotguns. Semi-nonlethal.
  • Super flare: A shotgun-launched flare.

Out of all on that list the Bolo stands out to me. It might just be thats something so fun to say, shouldn't be a shotgun round.

Regardless it is going on my list of things to try out.

By the way, I was just surprised with a Mossberg 500. Just saved up the $300, asked my father to take me the the local gun shop to buy one tomorrow. He told me to sit down, shut it, close my eyes, and hold out my arms. After about 30 seconds I got a box shoved in my lap.

He found a Hell of a deal, 18.5" 6 shot model with an extra 28" vented-ribbed modified choke barrel, for $297.00 with tax.

I am both happy and sad, Love the new shotgun, but have only $3 for ammo. Time to start saving, again.

Gimmick loads are just that, they shouldn't be used for serious work. They might be fun to shoot at the range but they are far too expensive for that role IMHO. I would stick with conventional loads for any use.

Out of all on that list the Bolo stands out to me. It might just be thats something so fun to say, shouldn't be a shotgun round.

Regardless it is going on my list of things to try out.

While impossible to aim, the wire becomes a very hazardous blade at muzzle velocity.

I would pass if I were you.

Edited by bigj480
  • Like 1

In my misspent youth, I played with the idea of pulling the pellets from some 00 buck rounds and filling the shot cup with hot glue. Made a really nice, fast moving slug that weighed about 1/2 an ounce, 220 grains. Out of a smoothbore, it would smack an election yard-sign with real authority out the about 25 yards.

Problem is, in most HD scenarios (0-7yds), the shotcup, by itself, is potentially lethal.

Stick with buck or slugs for threats to home and hearth, smaller shot for smaller critters and save the novelty stuff (usually wayyyy to $$$$$ for what it does)for those who know no better...

As far as dimes (washers work too, BTW) - Young Guns did a lot to get people to get rid of their spare change... I wouldn't wanna take a load like that, but #4 - 000 buck is much more effective.

[i do have to add - A few years ago, a buddy of mine was showing me his Mossberg loaded with flechete's and had an AD into his ceiling while we were standing there discussing it. Not one "dart" made it completely through the sheetrock overhead, at less than 3' of distance... We found most of them on the floor. He dumped those rounds and went back to 00 Buck.]

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just for general knowledge, so to speak.

Carpet tacks are really wicked, but we did score a barrel thru the shot cup.....011.gif ......but man what a mess they make at 25 ft.

One of the better home made loads is still good old split shot (sinkers) on a piece of fishin line................ (I think some of my cousins used to keep these loaded for revenuers, or maybe it was some of those old Force Recon guys, Hell it's all startin to run together thse daze)

• 3 months later...

i am glad box of truth tested the dimes. i just wonder how it would have turned out if they used period correct dimes instead of modern dimes.

Pre 1837 dimes would have not fit a 12g. they were 18.8mm from '09 - '27 and from '28 - '37 were 18.5mm

1837 - '53 dimes were 17.9mm diameter, weighed 2.67 grams, and were .900 silver + .100 copper.

1853 - '73 dimes were 17.9mm diameter, weighed 2.49 grams, and were .900 silver + .100 copper.

1873 - 1964 dimes were 17.9mm diameter, weighed 2.50 grams, and were .900 silver + .100 copper.

1965 - present dimes are 17.9mm, weigh 2.27 grams, and are .750 copper + .250 nickel.

I don't think it would make a lot of difference, but with 16 dimes per load, that could be between 3.52 grams - 6.4 grams difference in weight. It could improve penetration to a possibly lethal dosage.

i am glad box of truth tested the dimes. i just wonder how it would have turned out if they used period correct dimes instead of modern dimes.

Pre 1837 dimes would have not fit a 12g. they were 18.8mm from '09 - '27 and from '28 - '37 were 18.5mm

1837 - '53 dimes were 17.9mm diameter, weighed 2.67 grams, and were .900 silver + .100 copper.

1853 - '73 dimes were 17.9mm diameter, weighed 2.49 grams, and were .900 silver + .100 copper.

1873 - 1964 dimes were 17.9mm diameter, weighed 2.50 grams, and were .900 silver + .100 copper.

1965 - present dimes are 17.9mm, weigh 2.27 grams, and are .750 copper + .250 nickel.

I don't think it would make a lot of difference, but with 16 dimes per load, that could be between 3.52 grams - 6.4 grams difference in weight. It could improve penetration to a possibly lethal dosage.

I have to ask...where did you find the information concerning size and weight of period currency? Just curious.

Thanks

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

While specialty rounds like this are really fun to play with at the range, and really fun to brag about to your friends at the range, I wouldn't suggest actually using them. I tend to follow Massad Ayoob's advice about specialty ammo, which is DON'T. The best quote on the subject comes from the 'Ammunition for the Self-Defense Firearm' that's been circulating for years. "If you want to gamble, go to an Indian reservation. Don't gamble with your life, or the lives of others." You never know what a round will actually do when it hits someone. Something that seems logical, like flechettes, act very different at velocities near the speed of sound. Accuracy might be horribly affected as well, meaning that you miss the attack 6 yards from you and kill your neighbor across the street. When your life is at stake, load any ammo you've fired at least 150 round with slugs or buckshot between #4 and #000 buck and leave the novelty ammunition in the safe.

Here's a link to the ammo guide mentioned before, directly from the Chuck Hawks website: http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

Dimes are fun to shoot at the range when your buddies don't know what you are firing. When shooting targets, innocently fire a few of these rounds, then grab your target and check the expression on your buddy's face when he sees the pattern. While I haven't tried it, I can only imagine the effect of firing a shot cup filled with ink powder, producing this massive black cloud.

• Like 1
While I haven't tried it, I can only imagine the effect of firing a shot cup filled with ink powder, producing this massive black cloud.

I am imagining "TONER" here... and I cant get past imagining the nasty black mess that will be your shotgun, magazine, hands, face, etc... cause toner does not adhere to the laws of physics as we know it... and it likes to get on, in, and coat EVERYTHING even remotely solid, within dozens of feet of the source of the toner, without any observed medium of transmission...

While I haven't tried it, I can only imagine the effect of firing a shot cup filled with ink powder, producing this massive black cloud.

I am imagining "TONER" here... and I cant get past imagining the nasty black mess that will be your shotgun, magazine, hands, face, etc... cause toner does not adhere to the laws of physics as we know it... and it likes to get on, in, and coat EVERYTHING even remotely solid, within dozens of feet of the source of the toner, without any observed medium of transmission...

:haha2::haha2::haha2: Indy, have you been playing with the printer again???

:haha2::haha2::haha2: Indy, have you been playing with the printer again???

AM I WRONG?!?!?!?

Have you EVER messed with Toner??? Then you KNOW!!!! :unsure: