Odd things to load in a shot shell

While I haven't tried it, I can only imagine the effect of firing a shot cup filled with ink powder, producing this massive black cloud.

I am imagining "TONER" here... and I cant get past imagining the nasty black mess that will be your shotgun, magazine, hands, face, etc... cause toner does not adhere to the laws of physics as we know it... and it likes to get on, in, and coat EVERYTHING even remotely solid, within dozens of feet of the source of the toner, without any observed medium of transmission...

:smoke:

:haha2::haha2::haha2: Indy, have you been playing with the printer again???

AM I WRONG?!?!?!?

Have you EVER messed with Toner??? Then you KNOW!!!! :unsure:

Indy,

Nope, you are not wrong and yes I have messed with toner. The key word here is MESSED. I could dress out in a full chem suit and still have that crap covering half of my body. I could not even imagine a toner round going off :lolol::lolol::lolol:

How about sand mixed 50/50 with dehydrated and crushed red habanero powder? Maybe if it won't stay together long enough to get you safely out of range of the cloud you could tie it up in little pantyhose pouches. :devil: ..or wrap it in paper so it explodes on impact.

And there's always the ol standby, chain shot....just downsize it and use cheap jewelry chain...

While I haven't tried it, I can only imagine the effect of firing a shot cup filled with ink powder, producing this massive black cloud.

I am imagining "TONER" here... and I cant get past imagining the nasty black mess that will be your shotgun, magazine, hands, face, etc... cause toner does not adhere to the laws of physics as we know it... and it likes to get on, in, and coat EVERYTHING even remotely solid, within dozens of feet of the source of the toner, without any observed medium of transmission...

:haha2::haha2::haha2: Indy, have you been playing with the printer again???

AM I WRONG?!?!?!?

Have you EVER messed with Toner??? Then you KNOW!!!! :unsure:

Indy,

Nope, you are not wrong and yes I have messed with toner. The key word here is MESSED. I could dress out in a full chem suit and still have that crap covering half of my body. I could not even imagine a toner round going off :lolol::lolol::lolol:

I am so very, very tempted to load a few toner rounds now. Use the first round in one of my non-Saiga shotguns while wearing clothes I don't care if I destroy and making sure my vehicle seats are sealed with something for the trip to a shower. :) I can just imagine the devestation one of these rounds would generate. A Less-Than-Lethal round, perhaps, but one which would mark the victim (the victim probably being the shooter) for weeks to come.

When I was a kid, the local farmer loaded rock salt and flour. The rock salt raises big welts but the flour makes a flash bigger than the house!

that sounds like a lot of fun. i know flour in its finest form is flammable, but I wonder if a powder coffee creamer round would be like the dragons breath rounds. we used to pack straws and blow that across lighters for "flame thrower" effect.

I loaded some punched out lead disks. Very interesting effect.

Shot through a 4x4 at 10 feet. Did not go through 1/2 inch cdx at 40 yards. (neighborhood safe buckshot?)

Made 18 thin lead disks and stacked in a shotcup. Weight was around 1 1/4 ounce. Got the idea from the whole shooting dimes myth.

I only made two rounds, I need to make up a big batch and do some real volume testing.

• 4 weeks later...

I loaded some punched out lead disks. Very interesting effect.

Shot through a 4x4 at 10 feet. Did not go through 1/2 inch cdx at 40 yards. (neighborhood safe buckshot?)

Made 18 thin lead disks and stacked in a shotcup. Weight was around 1 1/4 ounce. Got the idea from the whole shooting dimes myth.

I only made two rounds, I need to make up a big batch and do some real volume testing.

i did somthing similar with some shot .45 slugs falttened them down tell they fit the shot cup. very interesting at close range.

Edited by psl sniper

a couple years back me and my friend started loading various objects into shotgun shells . weve loaded ball bearings, glass marbles, steel bb's, square chain from a dog collar, home made bolo rnds, nails, tacks, silly putty, air rifle pellets, every fishing sinker you can think of, fish hooks, weighted fish hooks, once fired pistol bullets, pebbles, solid brass bars, rebar, flechettes, wire, copper rectangles, copper shot, chopped up wheel wheights, sqaure buckshot, nuts, bolts, monopoly pieces, junk jewelry, modeling clay, screws, wood, a crossbow arrow, tips from playing darts, razor blades, dimes, necklace chain, dog tag chain, lamp chain, rubber ball, plastic ball, metal figurines, dungeons and dragons pieces, dice, confetti.

im sure theres a bunch of other crap im forgetting. if it fits in the wad cup and you use a cylinder bore (no choke) you can shoot pretty much anything, some things are just more effective than others.

a couple years back me and my friend started loading various objects into shotgun shells . weve loaded ball bearings, glass marbles, steel bb's, square chain from a dog collar, home made bolo rnds, nails, tacks, silly putty, air rifle pellets, every fishing sinker you can think of, fish hooks, weighted fish hooks, once fired pistol bullets, pebbles, solid brass bars, rebar, flechettes, wire, copper rectangles, copper shot, chopped up wheel wheights, sqaure buckshot, nuts, bolts, monopoly pieces, junk jewelry, modeling clay, screws, wood, a crossbow arrow, tips from playing darts, razor blades, dimes, necklace chain, dog tag chain, lamp chain, rubber ball, plastic ball, metal figurines, dungeons and dragons pieces, dice, confetti.

im sure theres a bunch of other crap im forgetting. if it fits in the wad cup and you use a cylinder bore (no choke) you can shoot pretty much anything, some things are just more effective than others.

I would almost be afraid to know what the barrel looked like after all the mess went through it... I would be surprised to know if it was not scratched all to hell... :eek:

I would almost be afraid to know what the barrel looked like after all the mess went through it... I would be surprised to know if it was not scratched all to hell... :eek:

all rounds where fired through a new england firearms 12 gauge partner with the barrel shortened to 19" the only thing that really scratched the barrel where some of the "nail" rounds (and it was miner at that), it was his gun so i didnt mind :devil: they arent somthing id be interested in using anyway. as for my saiga, nothing but lead goes down that baby :super:

Edited by psl sniper

Another thought with the specialty rounds, I think a DA would have your ass for using them on a BG..... Stick with the common shot rounds and not have to worry about that aspect.

specialty/novelty round are just that. novalities. for just plain effective. you cant beat slugs or buckshot.

• 1 month later...

A 7140 would be a neat home build but too complicated for a noon like me. Possibly a left hand electing 870 tig welded about a hundred times to a stock 870. Etc.....

what does this have to do with the thread?

• 1 month later...

I just remembered what my Father used for HD, they were old paper shells with # 6 cord shot. This was a goose round the #6 shot was buffered with twine all in and around the shot, and held together with hard wax poured solid in the shell. Before shot cups, this held the shot together and increased the range, but for close HD they acted like disintegrating slugs. These were probably made some time in the 1930's so I don't think I will ever see any more of them, but maybe shot cup filled with shot and silicone caulk would come close.

When I was a kid, the local farmer loaded rock salt and flour. The rock salt raises big welts but the flour makes a flash bigger than the house!

that sounds like a lot of fun. i know flour in its finest form is flammable, but I wonder if a powder coffee creamer round would be like the dragons breath rounds. we used to pack straws and blow that across lighters for "flame thrower" effect.

Flour-buffered shot loads are magnificent in black powder rounds from my double barrel. The flash and BOOOOOM! from the fuel-air explosion hits you in the chest like a flash-bang grenade!

I loaded a test barrel locked in a fixture with 5 drams of 2F black, a cushion wad and 200gr of confectioner's sugar ONCE. The sugar didn't fuel-air explode, it ignited IN the barrel. The recoil blew it out of the fixture and THROUGH a 12" thick ice block. DO NOT LOAD confectioner's sugar.

I STRONGLY suggest using a remotely fired test barrel when experimenting in this manner.

Flour-buffered shot loads are magnificent in black powder rounds from my double barrel. The flash and BOOOOOM! from the fuel-air explosion hits you in the chest like a flash-bang grenade!

I loaded a test barrel locked in a fixture with 5 drams of 2F black, a cushion wad and 200gr of confectioner's sugar ONCE. The sugar didn't fuel-air explode, it ignited IN the barrel. The recoil blew it out of the fixture and THROUGH a 12" thick ice block. DO NOT LOAD confectioner's sugar.

I STRONGLY suggest using a remotely fired test barrel when experimenting in this manner.

what about powdered coffe creamer? hear that stuff is volatile.

• 2 weeks later...

If this is for SD I wouldn't use an odd round like this... not even one home loaded to a round with standard factory specs. Some jerk DA may try to screw you with that saying you intentionally concocted an "evil torture round" or "didn't know what you were doing". Nahh... for SD I'll stick with a quality factory loaded #4--#00 buck that I'm sure cycles through my shotgun.

If this is for SD I wouldn't use an odd round like this... not even one home loaded to a round with standard factory specs. Some jerk DA may try to screw you with that saying you intentionally concocted an "evil torture round" or "didn't know what you were doing". Nahh... for SD I'll stick with a quality factory loaded #4--#00 buck that I'm sure cycles through my shotgun.

wow! why didnt we think of that! oh wait. we did. in this same thread even. look at post #43 and post #44.

Shards of bone.

It would be hard to determine which was the bad guys and which were from the shell. Well, until they pulled DNA anyway. :angel:

I remember some movie I saw where a sniper used an ICE bullet that melted after hitting target. Complete BS, since it wouldn't have survived being fired, but a "cool" idea. LOL

So has anybody ever herd of the whammy round? just cut the case al the way around at the base of the wad just enough to throw out a bb fille slug. i have never tried it for fear of explosion in my face. and dont recomend it. but I anm curious if it works. Also I herd of shooting arrows out of a 410 by cutting the shot of of a shell and putting a arrow shaft down the barrel.

Shards of bone.

It would be hard to determine which was the bad guys and which were from the shell. Well, until they pulled DNA anyway. :angel:

I remember some movie I saw where a sniper used an ICE bullet that melted after hitting target. Complete BS, since it wouldn't have survived being fired, but a "cool" idea. LOL

Nope... not IMHO. Any forensic pathologist worth his/her weight in salt will piece all those bits of bone together like a puzzle. If they don't fit... "ruh-oh"!!

• 3 months later...

Shards of bone.

Nope... not IMHO. Any forensic pathologist worth his/her weight in salt will piece all those bits of bone together like a puzzle. If they don't fit... "ruh-oh"!!

also, it would have to shatter bone to make it to blend in. chances are, it would penetrate like a bunch of horribly shaped needles. they might embed into bone but doubt they will shatter it.

So has anybody ever herd of the whammy round? just cut the case al the way around at the base of the wad just enough to throw out a bb fille slug. i have never tried it for fear of explosion in my face. and dont recomend it. but I anm curious if it works. Also I herd of shooting arrows out of a 410 by cutting the shot of of a shell and putting a arrow shaft down the barrel.

Cut shells are dangerous to the shooter. They're bigger than the barrel ahead of the chamber and need to compress (raising pressure) to push out.

• 11 years later...