What did your Saiga 12 replace?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope it replaced this guys, WOW!!!!!!!

Nothing, I don't usually get rid of firearms for shits and giggles. Only if in a trade. I'd rather grow my arsenal than downsize it.

Posted Images

My dad "inherited" my 18.5" mossberg 590A1 so a gap was left in my counter-zombie arsenal. I really really hope the S12 will serve me well. The place I am going to get it from locally is out of stock so I don't own one yet. But the second they do I will get it. I'm hoping that I don't run into problems and that it will run 100% out of the box. I'm used to the reliability of that mossberg so I hope I get it. If not I will have Cobra clean up the internals. Maybe not a full on conversion right off the bat, but a clean running engine is way more important than a pistol grip.

Did it replace a rifle for anyone else? It seems like it has many advantages over an AR for most defensive purposes and at least breaks even on other issues.

12-ga has a rather limited range when compared to any rifle. ;) Different tools for different purposes.

I could see replacing an AR with a S-12 and a Saiga 7.62x39, (preferrably a SGL21), though.

CCF08152009_00003.jpg

033.jpg

Got my S-12 in May last year, and around July 4th had to sell everything else (WASR, 590 SP, Colt Python, Winchester 1910) for financial reasons. It obviously filled the role of the 590 (and 930 SPX I really wanted). But I'll say the Winchester .401 as well, if in actual use; I only bought it cause I wanted a .351 for several years, the .401 was the rarer .50 Beowulf type thumper, was the first I ever saw or heard of for sale. Amazing craftsmansip for something built IN 1910, 98 years old then, but really had no use for it and wasn't the .351 WSL that I wanted (and still do). But anyway, slugs out the Saiga would do anything this one could.

Never, for whatever reason, saw the S-12 as a legit or serious weapon until I read the Suarez book. Then realized I already had the only one that makes sense for an AK guy. And the importance of not making a shotgun do a carbines work, but also the importance of having a fighting shotgun in your personal battery.

It didn't replace, it filled my empty semi-auto shotgun slot. I wanted one for home defense. I like the Saiga because of it's removable mag (and I love AKs). I can keep the mag loaded, without keeping the weapon itself loaded.

Although, I did here keeping the mag loaded for long lengths of time can warp the top cartridge. Still researching it.

Mine replaced an empty spot in my safe but left a empty spot in my wallet.

P1060890.jpg

Again, this has been my favorite project thus far with the AK pistol comming a close second.

Mine replaced a big empty spot in my AK collection, which at the time, I didn't even know was there.

Then since that time, my now (7) S-12s, have replaced a whole lot of other things I could have had for that money...like my Cobra back on the road for one....:cryss:

I have been shooting IPSC in shotgun matches since 1991, with a Benelli 1 Super 90.

It never jammed in all these years.

So my Saiga 12K arrived to retire the Benelli from competitions, and now it returned to its original configuration.

But my old Benelli will be there, always.

Hi guys! I'm new. I bought a Saiga 12 and am having a little trouble with perfect clarity on 922r. I've purchased and 1 piece pistol grip/sliding buttstock, American. (no conversion necc.) An american foregrip. A 12 round magazine (all 3 parts american), and a muzzle attatchment (american) used mainly for decoration (goes on my threaded barrel). Will my gun be compliant with these parts? I could really use a knowledgable yes or know here. Thanks!!!

It replaced the full auto SMG I didn't have to buy. Semi auto shooting 00 is sort of poor mans sub machine gun. Still not as light, short, compact and as easy to suppress as a K type sub gun though. It will have 11.5" bbl. If you went 6" w/ special loaded lower power ammo and red jacket can you would be getting close though

Last Saturday, it replaced the big 'ol Mossberg 835 on a turkey hunt. S-12 is virgin no more.

Congrats on the bird! where were you hunting at?

Just outside of the Village of Clinton, Oneida County, NY. I'm not ashamed to say that's my first turkey! Took up turkey hunting last Fall. He was one of five toms that came running in at my decoy all at the same time, it was really exciting.

Just outside of the Village of Clinton, Oneida County, NY. I'm not ashamed to say that's my first turkey! Took up turkey hunting last Fall. He was one of five toms that came running in at my decoy all at the same time, it was really exciting.

They taste great deep fried in peanut oil ;)

Did the AWB cover S-12??? What on it was banned?

Mine replaced the AWB. As soon as it was gone and I found out that 922r was all I had to go by I was hooked. One look at Shannon and Dinzag's first reconstructions years ago and I knew I had to have one (two, three,....)

Mine replaced a 19" Mossberg 500 7/8 shot. I like Mossberg 500s and have another one (long barrle 5 shot). I bought the 19" used 10 years ago and it had a finicky extractor, some rounds just wouldn't extract after fired. My son (7 YO) got really jazzed when we saw a Saiga-12 in the gun shop because it was in a video game he plays (Metal Gear 4). So after thinking about it a little and getting a budget appropriation from CINC-house (AKA wife), I traded in my Mossberg and a Bersa 380 pistol that I never really liked and $200 or so in cash.

I used to keep the Mossberg loaded, I don't keep the S-12 loaded, but I do keep a loaded 10-round magazine right next to it in the safe.

Hi guys! I'm new. I bought a Saiga 12 and am having a little trouble with perfect clarity on 922r. I've purchased and 1 piece pistol grip/sliding buttstock, American. (no conversion necc.) An american foregrip. A 12 round magazine (all 3 parts american), and a muzzle attatchment (american) used mainly for decoration (goes on my threaded barrel). Will my gun be compliant with these parts? I could really use a knowledgable yes or know here. Thanks!!!

Sounds ok. The most you'd need is one more part. I recommend going to the 922r compliant forum on here to get more information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Roger,

Ouch. Did they give you too much hassle about it?

I'm seeing the general trend here be that the Saiga is replacing conventional tube-fed shotguns, both pump and auto. The range of shotguns replaced--from the relatively humble 500 tot he tweaked Benellis--is interesting, but I suppose it has to do with the nature of the beast. You can get a stock Saiga for less than a Remington automatic and mod it piecemeal into a top-of-the-line fighting and competition gun.

Any other testimonials?