Why are non leathal rounds illeagal to own?

Why dont they allow then/  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Why dont they allow then/

• Because people would do stupid things with em
    • They are leagal you dont know were to look
    • Beacuse thats par for the course

Well, here in Florida, I'm one of the ones who would decide if the shooter goes to jail or not. And if it's self defense, it's called "justifiable homicide", so the dead guy goes to the morgue, the shooter keeps his guns, and I'd probably pat him on the back for stopping the attack.

P.G. countie's finest told me years ago that you cannot use leathal force unless bad guy has entered your house. We have had 2 home invasion's that have ended in eldery homeowners shooting bad guys dead this year (times must be tough) no arrest or prosicution of homeowners. The use of leathal force in Md. is OK only if you are endangered and cannot flee. However in home invasion you are not required to flee, just to be threatened with bodily harm. If bad guy has a kitchen knife in hand when LEO's arrive--

G O B (somewhere in maryland)

Most cities in the USA have a "no firearm discharge within city limits" law. Better check before you try to defend yourself. You will lose your guns. But, why not? the other option is to be dead or robbed blind. Yet one more stupid friggin law.

Actually bean bag rounds, drag stabilized rounds, Torpedo rounds, rubber buckshot &slugs and these so called "less-than-lethal" rounds have been upgraded to a new politically correct term of "less lethal" because you can kill someone with them. I work in a jail in Md. where we not only employ the 12 guage versions but also in 40mm of "less lethal" rounds. Dependent on target area, distance, and type of round used is dictated by situation. LEO's and us "jail guards" spend time training with them for job use as mandated by our use of force policies. As far as for home protection and my family is concerned, if the bad guy comes in, he's leaving with lead poisioning. Yes, in Md. we have some screwed up gun laws. Usually in order to buy less lethal rounds it has to be submitted on departmental letterhead to purchase so it probably is illegal to own, at least here in Md.

• 5 years later...

This site sells a bunch of less than lethal ammo: Ammo to Go Right Here...

My wife and enjoy the occassional zombie flick and got a kick out of these. Hard to imagine using these. Flashbang might have some application if only because the noise says "Hey moron! I have a gun!!!!" We picked up the UV dye marker "water bags" and some of the rubber stuff. Maryland gets weird about this stuff and like someone said on another thread, there's not much point in pissing someone off only to have them shoot and kill someone you love. If they come into your house, better to take them out totally than to maim and cripple. I defer to the Castle threads for the rest in the context of HD.

YouTube has a bunch of videos from "dragon tongue" (flamethrower shells) and a lot of this other stuff. Funny stuff until you think about practical usage. I also read in some forums and reviews elsewhere that a lot of this specialty ammo is prone to messing your gun up due to overpressure and because it doesn't get used very much, there are quality issues with powder and the actual performance. Kind of defeats the point if your flashbang or bean bag just jams the gun... might as well be shooting blanks.

one minor thing that is overlooked is that there is no "non-lethal" rounds. They strategicly use the term "less than lethal" but they all can kill. Advertizing words and legel type words and phrases are easily misunderstood. No manufacturer is going to say ":non-lethal" heck , enough windex is lethal if you want to drink it. I think that is why it's illegal,so every schmuk doesn't go around throwing crap out of his weapon thinking he's not going to kill someone.

Everyone should probably take a course in how and when you are allowed to use your firearm for their own liability.

Speaking from what I have learned in PENNSYLVANIA, if you use a deadly weapon, you must be in imminent danger of death and/or severe physical harm, or, someone in your home or vehicle, must be in the same situation.

There is no such thing, in the eyes of the law, as a less than lethal use of a firearm, for that matter, mace, tear gas, tazers, etc.

If you are in danger enough to merit the use of any of those weapons, then, and only then are they acceptable to use.

IE, someone comes up to your window in a road rage incident, and spits in your face, and you mace, taze, or shoot him, you are going to jail.

You may have been insulted, but, your life was not in danger.

Same as someone breaking into your home, either you are threatened, and correct in your use of force, or you aren't. Using a half measure of force just to scare or wound someone, is going to get you charged, more than likely, because of course, we are guilty until proven innocent in todays legal culture.

And, there are monetary liability issues as well, you shoot Barry Crackhead with a rubber buck shot shell, and you put his eye out, and if you are not legally justified to do so, some scumbag lawyer sues you, and Barry Crackhead leaves court with a judgement that leaves you homeless.

Either you are in enough physical danger to kill, or you aren't, load a real round, or none at all, do not ever consider half measures as acceptable, because sure as hell, your local DA wont.

Edited by frick

Here in indiana (and in most states) Less Lethal rounds are NOT Illegal.

Its mostly an urban myth that less lethal rounds are illegal.

I actually just bought 200 rounds of rubber slugs just because I could. I even put 5 rubber rounds in my SHTF kit. Its simply another tool that the swiss army knife of guns has at its disposal.

Man 5 years old?

I would own the rubber buckshot shells but I think I would leave them in a ammo can until I could think of a real use for them.

I do like reading old info to see what has changed.. Like the choked barrels, I think all the saiga shotguns coming in now have threaded barrels or no chokes right? I shoot sabot slugs out of my shotgun all the time with no problem, pretty much if you can shoot a slug through the barrel sabots are safe.

Rubber slugs for running off bears. Use lead on people, they have less sense than bears .Bird bombs work good on birds, but there a a zillion local ordnances to comply with. They do however let people know from a safe distance that you ain't afraid of using your shotgun.

• 2 weeks later...
Hehe, i see the birth of a new extream sport :D

yeah, it would be pretty extreme. there is still a good possibility of death if one of those rubber slugs hits you in the right spot.

something a little less extreme would be using FX paint rounds. if you havent seen these, they consist of a casing(ive only seen these hand gun calibers- .40, .45, 9mm) with a plastic holder in them that has a plastic bullet full of paint. when fired, the plastic holder stays in the shell, but launches the paint bullet out. i dont know where to buy them, i used to find boxes of these things in buildings used for training on fort carson

If you want that buy the rounds for the FN 303 and run them through any modified paintball gun. use

which are made by the same manufacturer, but cost and hurt less.
Hehe, i see the birth of a new extream sport :D

yeah, it would be pretty extreme. there is still a good possibility of death if one of those rubber slugs hits you in the right spot.

something a little less extreme would be using FX paint rounds. if you havent seen these, they consist of a casing(ive only seen these hand gun calibers- .40, .45, 9mm) with a plastic holder in them that has a plastic bullet full of paint. when fired, the plastic holder stays in the shell, but launches the paint bullet out. i dont know where to buy them, i used to find boxes of these things in buildings used for training on fort carson

If you want that buy the rounds for the FN 303 and run them through any modified paintball gun. use

which are made by the same manufacturer, but cost and hurt less.

GunFun, you do realize you just responded to a 5 year old post which quoted two members who've not been seen here in years?

Thread_Necromancy.jpg

Please don't feed the zombie threads.

But you did. You were the first to post on this thread since 2004. Rather than bringing it out for the mods attention you should have just let it die a quiet death.

No sir, I did not. That post was in response to some nitwit voting in a 5 year old poll.

You see, when anyone submits their vote to a poll here, it is brought to the top as a new post, even though no actual post was made.

If you hang around enough, you'll see these polls pop to the top all the time, with no new posts in them.

personally, as someone who has been here for a number of years, id rather see an old thread resurrected with all of its old info intact than see 5 new threads with the same silly question, and zero responses from any experienced members because they already answered that question the first time it was brought up.

If anything, i think we should stop posting on old threads with the same picture over and over instead of adding something usefull. ;)

Back on topic, of course, dimes are my favorite, of course, mostly because of watching Young Guns too many times. "Best buck eighty i ever spent" though they have near zero penetration. (bounced some of them off an empty leather jacket.)

A chemistry student friend of mine had a couple shells he loaded with large granular NAHO2, (lye) though im not sure if he ever tested it, im sure it would be corrosive and might turn to very dangerous dust coming right out of the barrel in a big gonna be dead soon cloud.

I also know several people who practice three round drills and keep a rubber less lethal in the chamber, No slowdown of defensive response, and they further their claims that they werent looking to kill anyone, and in fact were looking for an alternative to stop an attack, and were only forced to escalate to lethal force by the situation.

Small difference, but the courts are a mess, arent they?

Legal as far as I know, and some shops around here sell them...

This thread started and stopped in 2004.

Some ****tard decided to "bump it to the top" with a poll answer, and people have been talking to the past ever since.

Mods, can we please close these out of date polls?

The AWB has been over 5 years.

If you drive to the next town over from where I live and drive down a dirt road for a half hour, there is this white supremacist who owns a gun shop. He sells all that crap. Just answer all questions Yes or No. Dont ellaborate, and dont ask questions. LOL

Box o truth did a test with some rock salt rounds and found that the wadding did more damage to cardboard than the actual rock salt. From their tests it looks like rock salt is completely useless as a shotgun shot material. If you are using your shotgun for HD load it with buckshot or slugs. If you maim a home intruder with a less than lethal round you open yourself up to serious litigation. The dead can't sue.