My boss picked up a 520 round tin of 7.62x51 ball at a garage sale figuring I would want it. Of course I did! I am guessing that it is Norinco based on some threads that came up on the search. It is copper colored steel (sticks to a magnet) and has the numbers 61 and 92 on the head stamp. The tin has no identification other than 48-92-61 7.62x51 Ball. Any of you know anything about it? I'm wondering if it's corrosive. I always keep my guns clean but I have never dealt with corrosive ammo. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Well, if you have to ask, you should treat it as such.

Asking us doesn't mean anything - Wolf has been known to stick military primers in runs of their "non corrosive" civvy ammo, so ya never really know.

Well, if you have to ask, you should treat it as such.

Asking us doesn't mean anything - Wolf has been known to stick military primers in runs of their "non corrosive" civvy ammo, so ya never really know.

What's the point of jabbing a new member for asking a valid question? I guess you're correct "Asking us doesn't mean anything"

Does NALIOTH stand for Never Allow Legitimate Inquiries On THis website?

Doesn't mean much to me. If it goes bang, I shoot it. I always clean my AK weapons after every outing. Since this question gets asked about once a month, it my be helpful for new persons that visit this forum to use the search button. This question gets asked about as much as "what is better an AK or an AR"?

Good luck and happy shooting,

Yakdung

Doesn't mean much to me. If it goes bang, I shoot it. I always clean my AK weapons after every outing. Since this question gets asked about once a month, it my be helpful for new persons that visit this forum to use the search button. This question gets asked about as much as "what is better an AK or an AR"?

Yakdung

I clean 'em after every session too. I take very good care of my equipment. I just have no experience with corrosive ammo and I am given to understand that the cleaning regimen is different but I have yet to speak to anyone who actually uses the stuff. I take it from what I've read so far that I should presume corrosive with this can.Since you shoot corrosive ammo,what do you do differently if anything than when you clean after shooting non-corrosive? As for the search feature,yep it's helpful but I didn't find anything that answered my original question well enough to satisfy me. :unsure: I'll try it again. Thanks for the replies!

Edited by Jeff Tipton

Yakdung

I clean 'em after every session too. I take very good care of my equipment. I just have no experience with corrosive ammo and I am given to understand that the cleaning regimen is different but I have yet to speak to anyone who actually uses the stuff. I take it from what I've read so far that I should presume corrosive with this can.Since you shoot corrosive ammo,what do you do differently if anything than when you clean after shooting non-corrosive? As for the search feature,yep it's helpful but I didn't find anything that answered my original question well enough to satisfy me. :unsure: I'll try it again. Thanks for the replies!

For over a hundred years, dihydrogen monoxide has been used to clean guns (among other things). You should heat it up to a point that is as hot as you can take it, and use it liberally to sluice out your gun barrel and any other area where the corrosive salts may have gotten . .

After the heated H²O treatment, a regular cleaning should be fine.

Edited by nalioth
  • 4 weeks later...

Yakdung

I always clean them the same day, too.

But I usually clean them a little sooner if I shoot corrosive. I don't wait till I'm good and ready like I might if I shoot non corrosive.