I shoot a lot of blackpowder and was just wondering if there were any other muzzleloaders among us.

I mostly shoot .58 out of a double rifle and musketoon, but I have a 10 gauge, a .69 Potsdam, and a few revolvers too. My primary is a Kodiak in .58 and I cast all my own bullets (minies).

Any other smoke-pole shooters here?

post-1473-12740262184582_thumb.jpg

post-1473-12740262392218_thumb.jpg

post-1473-12740262579263_thumb.jpg

I don't shoot a frontstuffer, but I shoot a Sharps BP Cartridge gun in 45-110.

Cool! Do you load your own? What load are you shooting (I know the 110gn of BP or equevalent part)? Paper-patch anything? What kinda ranges? I mostly shoot 100yds or less (S.E. Georgia), but have gone out to 500yds on NMLRA stuff...

I used to compete in N-SSA and NMLRA, but just shoot for fun and hunting these days.

Edited by macbeau

I load 550gr paper patched bullet over top of 95gr of 1-1/2F of Swiss blackpowder. I mostly shoot 200meters, but have shot some 500yd targets

Shiloh Sharps with a #1 heavy 34 inch octagon barrel

Sharps.jpg

Sharpscloseup.jpg

Edited by Banshee

I load 550gr paper patched bullet over top of 95gr of 1-1/2F of Swiss blackpowder. I mostly shoot 200meters, but have shot some 500yd targets

Sharps.jpg

Sweet! I have been wanting to get and H&R Buffalo Classic (poor man's Sharps) and bore it out to 45/90 or 45/110 but brass seems to be rather spendy. Swiss powder is likewise too $$$ (albeit, great quality) - I am a GOEX man....

Are you casing and patching your own or buying ammo/components?

post-1473-12740284328891_thumb.jpg

Edited by macbeau

Ya it cost more, but Swiss is way cleaner than GOEX. I buy the swaged pure lead bullets and cut the patches and wrap them myself. The brass I use came from Buffalo Arms and is made from .348 Winchester brass.

A friend of mine shoots a H&R Buffalo Classic and likes it a lot.

Edited by Banshee

CVA here, lotsa fun :lolol:

I'm not sure what CVA is, but it sounds like it'd be a Civil War re-enactment society possibly? If so that's pretty cool man.

Connecticut

Valley

Arms

Purveyors of fine firearms.

CVA here, lotsa fun :lolol:

I'm not sure what CVA is, but it sounds like it'd be a Civil War re-enactment society possibly? If so that's pretty cool man.

CVA website.

http://www.cva.com/

I didnt see mine listed. Its an older .50, with the hammer on the side. Cant remeber what model LOL! Its a blast to shoot. I paid 50$ for it, and love it.

I have a inline cva buckhorn I think is the model. I have heard of them blowing up so I keep my powder charges around 75% of recommended.

One of these days I'd like to get a few cap and ball pistols. Those would likely be fun. I'd be fine with the brass framed as I'd be shooting light loads with it anyway.

Once I was bitten by the "Sharps bug",(Shiloh Number 3 Sporter) my muzzle loading dropped off a lot, but still use a 54 "flinchlock", a 36 turkey and squack rifle, and a repro 1858 Remington.

I use Goex in all of em..I cant speak to the performance of Swiss..Ive never used it, but it has a heck of a reputation so must be good stuff. Goex burns well when compressed, and I make my own bullet lubes so fouling has not been a problem.

Goex burns well when compressed

I would hope so.

Leaving airspace with black powder leads to KABOOMs.

That's not really true, especially for muzzlerloaders. Minie balls can have a pretty big cavity behind as an air pocket and N-SSA revolver guys rarely put too much umpf on seating their bullets when seating them. BP is pretty low pressure and no problem in modern steel (repo) guns. On cartidges, you'd have a hard time seating a .405 gn cast bullet over 70 gns of any BP without compressing the load in a 45/70 case. You do get a much more efficient combustion/burn [hence, less ash - fouling]... but having the powder loose almost never results in a KB...in blackpowder...

Bullesye and Unique and 2400 are different stories...

The biggest challenge in muzzleloading BP shooting is quality-pure lead (sized .0001 under bore) bullets, consistently measured powder charges, consistant primers, quality lube and fricken Italian barrel makers! On the cartridge stuff, it's the same, but add decent, good fitting brass and bullets you can patch or lube easily.

In almost 40 years of BP shooting, I have rarely heard of a KB... and for several years recently, I shot this sport to the exclusion of all others.

Macbeau sends...

[Added - The only KB's in blackpower that I am familiar with in over 40 years involve original, antique guns where someone either tried to shoot a low-dose of modern powder (bulleseye, unique, etc...) or we shooting an already compromised original (stress fractures, rust, erosion, etc...)]

Edited by macbeau