Almost finished conversion, need some help.

Hi guys, I picked up my Saiga last week, shot 100 rounds of wolf black box through it without a hitch and yesterday i started my conversion.

I still need to grind the hammer a little and put the BHO which im planning to do today and put hole plugs.

But i had a few questions before i can completely finish the conversion.

I have read someone using http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html this paint to paint their Saigas. But how do you paint it? do i need to remove the old paint from the receiver or do i just paint it on top of the old paint? I want something that matches closely the paint of the original.....is this one close enough? if not, which one? I have never painted a gun before(i have only painted a house before) so im a complete noob at this, a step by step would really be helpful.

Also will this paint work on the barrel? Guess what im trying to ask is if this paint (the duracoat) can handle the extreme heat of the barrel....i have some rustoleum high heat ultra semi gloss sheen that i bought from walmart a long time ago...dunno if anyone has tried this. I do not want anything glossy, since the black of the saiga has no gloss whatsoever.

Whats the best way to put a muzzle device on the Saiga? Buying the FSB with threads already or cut the shroud and thread the barrel? I heard removing the FSB was a big pain in the butt (i have a 09 saiga). But im also afraid of cutting the shroud, as i might cut a little bit of the barrel with it too. How easy is it to cut the shroud and thread the barrel? Im afraid that i might thread it crooked. Will using the TAT properly help me with this? Dinzag sells muzzle devices that are 1 inch deep, so i can just go ahead and cut the entire length of the shroud. What did people use to cut the shroud? the actual name of the thing will be helpful so i can go buy it and also what technique did you use to cut the shroud neatly without cutting the barrel? Anyone here willing to let me borrow their TAT and 14x1 LH threader for the 7.62x39? Of course if i break it i replace it. And lastly, how good is the dinzag 74' style brake? or im i better off getting something else? if yes, which one?

Thankspost-24021-12740395715788_thumb.jpg

Edited by lagann

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

This stuff seems to be the easiest/cheapest way (without using Duracoat or similar products). It can withstand 500+ degree temeratures. The low gloss engine enamel works well and has held up fine on mine and lots of other Saiga conversion/refinishes.

Duplicolor part number DE 1634 is the one alot of people use on their Saigas.

Here is the method I used to cut the shroud and thread my barrel:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=53105

You wont cut into the barrel at all doing it like this.

I picked up a TAT and die set from DPHArms.com for about $45 and it worked perfect when I threaded my barrel.

Edited by KC913

did mine this weekend and honestly(this might seem crude)i just used some flat black krylon spray paint where the metal was bare under the trigger plate right after i took it off.wrapped a towl around the mag well area and gave it a couple spurts.dried quickly and matched exactly to the rest of the gun.idk maybe i got lucky but it worked well and cheap for me.

Here is the method I used to cut the shroud and thread my barrel:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=53105

You wont cut into the barrel at all doing it like this.

+1 for using a pipe cutter for this. worked fantastic. and you might have a threaded barrel underneath - i did. use a set of dental picks and a wire brush attachment to the dremel to remove the epoxy in the threads if so.

What did you use for the lower handguard retainer if you didn't remove the gas and sight blocks?

one of those cheap bolt on ones i got from carolinas shooting supplies....which i plan on changing to an original AK one if i ever change the FSB...might even change the gas chamber while im at, it if money allows it.