Saiga "must have" modifications/upgrades?

I'm new here and with the Saiga 7.62. I think it's pretty good right out of the box, but it seems to be the general trend to modify it. All I've changed so far is switching to the Tapco Intrafuse stock (which I'm not really attached to) and the 30-rd. waffle mags. I also have one of the DPH flash hiders/muzzle brakes on back order. Not sure yet if I want a front rail with an EOTech or the side mount with a longer range scope. In any case, I'd like to make mine more tactical, without making any permanent mods, unless you think it's REALLY worth the $$$ to take it to a smith.

What do you all recommend as far as this goes? What have you done to your own rifles that you would never change back? (For the sake of the thread, just assume everything is going to be 922r compliant)

Edited by mrtastycakes

+1 to the bullet guide.

I would also recommend doing a conversion yourself. And yes, I think it's REALLY worth the time and money!

ETA: Welcome!

Edited by Raoul_Duke

+1 to the bullet guide.

I would also recommend doing a conversion yourself. And yes, I think it's REALLY worth the time and money!

ETA: Welcome!

Tapco 6 way adjustable buttstock. Definitely a must, unless you like the montecarlo stock...

Did anyone elses wrists end up sore with the montercarlo?

I am not ready to dive into the conversion game so my first step was the Tapco stock. Perhaps as I get used to the rifle and get bit by the modification bug I might end up converting my Saiga but I feel that for 55 bux you can't go wrong with the Tapco.

Edited by Phoenix7.62

Bullet guide.

not to hijack the thread but if i plan on only using 10 round mags...whats the point of the bullet guide for me?

if you must know i live in Kalifornia...no regular cap magazines for me :(

Well that does suck . . . I would personally be of the opinion that if you are limited to 10 round mags there would be no point in a bullet guide. Just get a bunch of 10 round mags.

But can't you put on one of those Monsterman grips or use a mag release that requires the use of a tool for mag removal? Or something? Or you just don't want to go that way . . .

Hell, I don't know, I'm in Texas! I really do feel sorry for you people in restrictive states, though.

Bullet guide.

not to hijack the thread but if i plan on only using 10 round mags...whats the point of the bullet guide for me?

if you must know i live in Kalifornia...no regular cap magazines for me :(

Well that does suck . . . I would personally be of the opinion that if you are limited to 10 round mags there would be no point in a bullet guide. Just get a bunch of 10 round mags.

But can't you put on one of those Monsterman grips or use a mag release that requires the use of a tool for mag removal? Or something? Or you just don't want to go that way . . .

Hell, I don't know, I'm in Texas! I really do feel sorry for you people in restrictive states, though.

In Kalifornia, the only way to use normal cap magazines are if they are preban (not entirely sure, so dont quote me on this).

Also if you restore the saiga (pistol grip) you need either the ugly monster grip thing or a bullet button device....which is what i have.

....not a lot of freedom in Kalifornia.

Back on topic though...since this is an upgrades thread...who sells the best or at least high quality US made 74 style brakes?

I'm in VA, so there aren't a ton of restrictions. I researched doing the full conversion, but I'm pretty sure my chimp-like mechanical skills would cause me to royally screw something up.

Some questions about the bullet guide: there seem to be several types. Which one is the correct one, or has the simplest installation? Would a mag catch mod be necessary if a bullet guide were installed?

Truth be told, I really don't mind the Saiga mags. I bought them in bulk, wholesale, and they ended up not costing much more than AK mags (I prefer the Bulgarian waffle style). The availability of AK mags is pretty tempting, though, and if it's an easy, cheap mod, I'll do it.

As for the muzzle brakes, I couldn't find any that don't require threading besides the DPH/Phantom ones, and everyone seems to be sold out. EDIT: Also, I'm not concerned about drift; it's more for the flash hiding.

Edited by mrtastycakes

I'm in VA, so there aren't a ton of restrictions. I researched doing the full conversion, but I'm pretty sure my chimp-like mechanical skills would cause me to royally screw something up.

Nothing to a conversion and you can't really screw anything up. You really just need a drill and a drill bit. 2 pins to drill on the side of the receiver and a couple rivets to drill on the bottom. Everything comes right out and goes right back in even easier, once you have the proper parts. $5 drill bit, $5 autopunch and you're in business. You can do a basic conversion for right around 100 bucks.

Some of the videos and tutorials make it seem far more complex than it really is. :unsure:

Edited by KC913

Some questions about the bullet guide: there seem to be several types. Which one is the correct one, or has the simplest installation? Would a mag catch mod be necessary if a bullet guide were installed?

Truth be told, I really don't mind the Saiga mags. I bought them in bulk, wholesale, and they ended up not costing much more than AK mags (I prefer the Bulgarian waffle style). The availability of AK mags is pretty tempting, though, and if it's an easy, cheap mod, I'll do it.

As for the muzzle brakes, I couldn't find any that don't require threading besides the DPH/Phantom ones, and everyone seems to be sold out. EDIT: Also, I'm not concerned about drift; it's more for the flash hiding.

If you want some help, I'm in Manassas, I'd be happy to help you do the conversion, not do it for you, but lend a hand :) I just moved out here, so my shop isn't 100% setup, probably will have it finished in the next couple months.

The conversion is easy, if you can handle basic tools, you should have no problem.

For the bullet guide, you'll need to use a tap, to make the threads for the screw.

For the muzzle brake, you'll have to use a pipe cutter and take the cover off the end of the barrel then possibly thread the end, I say possibly, because some are already threaded. I have a threading die and tat for threading AK barrels, if yours is not threaded.

Drop me a PM if you're interested, I'm not interested in $$, just like to help people w/ their guns :)

Edited by vbrtrmn

To fit your rifle for regular mags its pretty easy. You just need the bullet guide. Then you can take a simple hand file and file down the mag catch. IT took me about 30-45 minutes and a few beers.021.gif Taking breaks randomly because its gets old fast lol. Just go slow, and try to fit a mag ever so often. Eye it once in a while to make sure you are cutting straight.

As for the muzzle brake, I have the dph/phantom simplye to hide flash. I love it. The thread shroud snaps on in a second then the flash hider threads down on it and locks tight. Never had a problem with it. I would suggest it if you dont mind waiting. But if you want to go ahead and get one Im sure you can find plenty of info here on threading the barrel.

Edited by Chevyman097

Hmm . . . maybe I will give the conversion a shot.

@KC9: Is there a particular conversion guide you like? I've only seen the YouTube vids and the cross-conn site.

@vbr: Thanks, but I'm in SW VA right now. I'll be moving to the DC region by next year, though, so maybe I'll be stopping by your shop sometime!

So we've covered stocks, mags, and muzzle brakes. Anything else you guys needed to change with your rifles? Different foregrips? Rail mounts? Scopes?

@KC9: Is there a particular conversion guide you like? I've only seen the YouTube vids and the cross-conn site.

This one is a little old, but it pretty much covers how to get the job done, step by step with pics. It shows which pins to drill out on the side and what to drill on the bottom plate. It shows a bunch of steps, but that's just to cover every little detail. Really its just 2 steps. Drill pins on the side, and drill rivets on the bottom. Then everything pretty much falls out after you remove the pins you drill out and new parts drop right in. You don't need all the tools he has listed, either. All you really need is a drill. A thin screw driver and a hammer work fine to knock the pins out after you drill the ends of them out.

http://www.cross-con...rsion/index.htm

Edited by KC913
  • 3 weeks later...