Around 2003, I purchased a Saiga 7.62x39. I mostly shoot Springfield M1A's, so until recently this rifle has mostly been a "Safe Queen." About six months ago I pulled it out, replaced the stock with a K-Var with a longer length-of-pull, and proceeded to start shooting. It is now one of my favorite rifles.

While researching it online, I've gotten the idea that that it may be on the rare side. Most of the Saigas I see are either: 1)"sporterized" with a single stack mag well and "sporter" style stocks; 2)have been worked over by the final owner to accept traditional AK mags and stocks; or 3) have had the receiver replaced by one made in America.

This rifle came just as it is from the importer (other than the above mentioned longer stock). It had the traditional AK furniture (pistol grip stock), hi-cap mag well, etc. The receiver is from Izhmash. It has a side mounted scope mount.

Am I right that it is somewhat rare? Does it have any special collector value? Is it worth more than a typical Saiga? I have no intention of selling it, as it is too damn much fun to shoot (not to mention, economical), but it would be nice to know that I made a good investment for a change.

Thankspost-24922-12741407230649_thumb.jpg

It looks like someone did the conversion before you bought it. The previous owner or even th shop that sold it to you. your rifle looks like a basic conversion. All saigas i have seen come with a double stack mag well and is easilly converted to accept high cap mags with a bullet guide. These rifles are great to shoot and tons of fun. They are also one of the more accurate ak's out. It looks like your rifle was made and inported in 2000.

Edited by n102788

I think I need to clarify my original post. I doubt that the rifle came into the country in this configuration (with a hi-cap mag well and with a pistol grip stock setup). However, I had my dealer order the rifle from an ad in Shotgun News, and in the ad it was in its current configuration--accepts hi-cap mags, pistol grip, etc. I am almost certain that whatever modifications that were done to it were done by EAA. That is, they added the appropriate number of American made parts to comply with 922r and then modified the mag well.

I was there at my dealer when the rifle arrived via UPS, brand-new, in the box. I suppose that the rifle might have been modified by an intermediary, such as a distributor, but that is not my memory. I remember the rifle being advertised as it is by EAA.

So far as the stock goes, yes, I did replace the one that came with the rifle with one that had a longer length of pull. I'm 6'3" and that itty bitty stock that came with it was just too small for me. This change has made all the difference for me. I got the stock from K-Var and and it was advertised as one for stamped receivers. In a rare moment of competence, I installed it myself and did a good enough job that it feels very solid to me. Indeed, the whole rifle feels very much more solid to me that the other AK types I have, including a MAK90, an Egyptian Maadi, a suprisingly nice little AK74 job from JoKen, and a thing from Hesse which I am contemplating tying a rope to and using for a boat anchor. With the exception of the Hesse, all of these AK's are extremely reliable, but are generally rattle-traps with the exception of the Saiga. The Saiga feels more like the western arms I am used to. Whether or not this is good thing I suppose is debatable. Bottom line is that I like the Saiga the best of the bunch.

So back to the first question: Does anyone remember an AK in this configuration coming directly from EAA?

One other question while I am here. My eyes are getting old enough that I would like to put some sort of optical aiming device on the rifle. I bought a six power Russian scope that mounts via the side rail, but it is more magnification that I really want for this rifle. I'm thinking about getting some sort of 1X type, probably a red dot, but I want it to be of eastern manufacture--not a western scope mounted via some sort of side-rail to NATO rail conversion. These rifles look better, to my eye anyway, with a Russian or eastern block scope. Have any of you had especially good luck with a particular model? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Andy

All saigas come ready to accept double stack mags. there must of been a bullet guide instlalled you can check by field stripping the saiga and looking at the barrell trunion ( the part directly in front of the magwell right before the chamber). I never heard of eaa doing the conversions but have heard of the civilain distributer converting the rifle before sale. I have an eotech on a utg quick detatch side rail mount which holds zero after being taken off. I have always heard great things about the kobra though.

The screw that holds your handguard in place is missing :unsure:

Is the bottom of your receiver bare metal or is it black like the rest of the rifle? Couldn't tell for sure. Looks like a basic conversion with the addition of a new trigger guard and muzzle brake to me. Never heard of EAA converting them, but could be wrong. Your dealer probably ordered it from a company that converts them before sale. I imagine the ad you saw just said EAA, which in no way means it was converted by them, just imported in its original configuration by them.

I wasn't quite sure how to answer your question, so I took a photo in hopes that it will show you what you are looking for.

Of course, since it has been several years since I picked up the rifle, my memory of the event may not be 100% accurate. I guess for my purposes, the bottom line is that I have a rifle that I am very pleased with.

Thanks for taking the time to look this stuff over. Hope the photo helps.

post-24922-12742214953884_thumb.jpg

The receiver has the old FCG pin holes plugged! A sure sign of a Sporter Saiga!

I call it the Saiga Tattoo!

We all have it, some plug with plastic plugs, some with pan head socket screws and some leave it open and the rare one will weld them up.

Converted! Yep!

No problem, still a great rifle.

One last thought. All things considered, conversion or no conversion, is the Saiga rifle with the Russian receiver better, the same, or worse than most of the AK's that are out there? As I said earlier, I've seen a number of AK's over the years and I like my Saiga as well, if not better, than most of them. Certainly, I would rather have a rifle made with a Russian barrel and Russian receiver than most of the stuff I am seeing now made with so-so American parts.

Based on what I have learned here over the last few days, I would say that the 7.62 Saiga, converted to AK style, is one of the great bargains available out there. What do you guys think?

One last thought. All things considered, conversion or no conversion, is the Saiga rifle with the Russian receiver better, the same, or worse than most of the AK's that are out there? As I said earlier, I've seen a number of AK's over the years and I like my Saiga as well, if not better, than most of them. Certainly, I would rather have a rifle made with a Russian barrel and Russian receiver than most of the stuff I am seeing now made with so-so American parts.

Based on what I have learned here over the last few days, I would say that the 7.62 Saiga, converted to AK style, is one of the great bargains available out there. What do you guys think?

I wouldn't trade my Saigas for any other AK, other than an Arsenal SGL. :smoke: