promag 12 and 20 rd drums too small to stay locked in???

not sure what you mean by "to small to stay in" but they might need a little fitting to get them to lock in properly. a lot of mags do.

here are the fitting instructions for the md20. watch the video hopefully it'll help.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=30195

Edited by Snoofer

I just bought a ProMAG 12rd and 20rd drum today and when I got home to clipped them in, they were both to small to stay in??? Am I missing something? Do i need to buy any part or how do i modify them to fit??

The drum should have come with instructions for fitting it to the gun. Follow them and it should work fine. Good luck!

Got my 12 round drum a few days ago, it needed a little fitting before the mag catch/release would snap in place which is no big deal. My concern is that the drum is a little loose at the front where it rocks into place. Once the mag catch engages and locks the drum in you can take the drum and rock it back and forth at the front not in the back where the catch is. Anybody else have this issue and does it affect anything when shooting? Before you tell me I should have gotten an MD20 I already own 2. Mike needs to make a similar sized drum this thing is just the perfect size and weight.

Got my 12 round drum a few days ago, it needed a little fitting before the mag catch/release would snap in place which is no big deal. My concern is that the drum is a little loose at the front where it rocks into place. Once the mag catch engages and locks the drum in you can take the drum and rock it back and forth at the front not in the back where the catch is. Anybody else have this issue and does it affect anything when shooting? Before you tell me I should have gotten an MD20 I already own 2. Mike needs to make a similar sized drum this thing is just the perfect size and weight.

Both the 12 & the 20 rnd promag drums fit in my large opening 4 hole circa 2008 S12 and would rock at the front like you describe. The 12 round drum fed 100% while the 20rnd drum would feed lazy 1 round out of every drum. I would just have to give the charge handle a little push.

Both the 12 & the 20 rnd promag drums fit in my large opening 4 hole circa 2008 S12 and would rock at the front like you describe. The 12 round drum fed 100% while the 20rnd drum would feed lazy 1 round out of every drum. I would just have to give the charge handle a little push.

Good to know it isn't a problem, I really like the size of 12 round drum.

I got my Promag 12rd drum a couple weeks ago from the e-store. It came with the front mag lip pre-filed dry.gif AND it would not catch onto the mag release preventing it from locking in. So per the fitting instructions supplied by promag, I filed down the plastic at the rear and was able to finally get it locked in. However, because some of the material was pre-removed from the front catch lip, it also wobbled back and forth. My solution was to apply a small amount of JB Weld to the part of the lip that was filed off and once it set and hardened I took a file and carefully filed it little by little until I was able to get the drum to lock in tight with no wobble at all. Problem solved.

Disappointment number 2 came when I took the drum to the range and to my dismay, I got nothing but constant FTF's because the spring tension was too low and it refused to reliably push the next round up and into the barrel. I got home, disassembled the drum and found a way to adjust the spring tension so hopefully that solves the issue. I wont be able to test until this weekend.

Needles to say, I cannot wait for my MD-20!!

I got my Promag 12rd drum a couple weeks ago from the e-store. It came with the front mag lip pre-filed dry.gif AND it would not catch onto the mag release preventing it from locking in. So per the fitting instructions supplied by promag, I filed down the plastic at the rear and was able to finally get it locked in. However, because some of the material was pre-removed from the front catch lip, it also wobbled back and forth. My solution was to apply a small amount of JB Weld to the part of the lip that was filed off and once it set and hardened I took a file and carefully filed it little by little until I was able to get the drum to lock in tight with no wobble at all. Problem solved.

Disappointment number 2 came when I took the drum to the range and to my dismay, I got nothing but constant FTF's because the spring tension was too low and it refused to reliably push the next round up and into the barrel. I got home, disassembled the drum and found a way to adjust the spring tension so hopefully that solves the issue. I wont be able to test until this weekend.

Wow, yours is the first post that I have read regarding feeding problems with the Pro-Mag drum. Hopefully this is an isolated instance. Let us know how it shoots.

Wow, yours is the first post that I have read regarding feeding problems with the Pro-Mag drum. Hopefully this is an isolated instance. Let us know how it shoots.

Yeah just my luck. Hopefully it works now. I will let you know!

I hope to have the same luck, I waited a while to buy another Pro-Mag product but it seems everyone is having a positive experience. I am still not happy with the way the mag moves around but as long as it works I can live with it.

Pro-Mag is on my 'No Buy List' along with Sig, but after reading the positive reviews about the 12 round drums, I'm weaking. My Pro-Mag 10/22 drum was junk and the extented mags for the Hi-Point's carbine did not get good reviews, just to mention a few Pro-Mag not the 'best' products.

Pro-Mag is on my 'No Buy List' along with Sig, but after reading the positive reviews about the 12 round drums, I'm weaking. My Pro-Mag 10/22 drum was junk and the extented mags for the Hi-Point's carbine did not get good reviews, just to mention a few Pro-Mag not the 'best' products.

I was the same way, but now I own both a 12 round and 20 round promag drum and both work great! Each did need a few swipes of a file to fit, but they lock up great.

I was the same way, but now I own both a 12 round and 20 round promag drum and both work great! Each did need a few swipes of a file to fit, but they lock up great.

Got 2 at Phoenix gun show and both were milled on the end closest to the bolt. Milling was done on the ledge on both sides with about an 1/8" removed. A little excessive for my gun as the drum rocks front to back pretty good...Good thing there is a lot of room for error with the way the bolt engages and extracts a shell from the drum as both work just fine. I would rather have had to do some filing though. Also, no instructions in either box for fitting.

Pro-Mag is on my 'No Buy List' along with Sig

I love my sigs. :devil:

The promag 12 is a wicked little drum. If I had the opportunity I'd pick one up.

As for the 20 rounder, it's fine but price being equal I prefer the MD20 because they end up with a custom fit.

You can see here I had to tap the charge handle home on 1 round with the promag 20. I believe this is because it was loose and would feed at too much of an angle. I had to do this exactly once out of every full drum with that drum. The 12 and the MD20 performed 100% all day and I went through 300 rounds that day.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MRfnE#p/a/u/1/2tbTCmLz6ME

Took the S12 and 12 round Pro-Mag out to the range yesterday and it preformed flawlessly loose or not. Only put 25 rounds through it so didn't get to test it much, but we were dumping it as fast as you could pull the trigger and it feed fine.

Slug-O, here are instructions on how to adjust the spring tension of the Promag:

1. Remove Hex screw on the front and remove the clear cover by popping the tabs.

2. Remove the cylinder in the middle of the drum and the spring will also pop out.

3. Take a rubber mallet and tap out the follower on the cylinder.

4. You will notice the one small hole in back of the drum where one end of the spring goes and also several holes around the cylinder where the other end of the spring goes to create the tension.

5. To adjust, you just have to place the cylinder in there and rotate it until you get the desired tension, then hold it in place and tap the follower back in. For example, place the cylinder in the drum with the follower in the 6 o'clock position rather than the 12 o'clock position prior to winding to create more tension.

6. Reassemble drum and you are done.