IZ-114: .223 Remington or 5.56x45 ?

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer with a forum search.

Is a Saiga 223 chambered for .223 Remington or 5.56x45 NATO and does it matter? This may seem like a silly question but I hope the folks here will humor me. I've always assumed they were literally the same, but as I started looking into it prior to purchasing, I find that they are different. Looks to me like firing 5.56 in a .223 could (is) dangerous. How about firing .223 in a 5.56 rifle?

Would really appreciate someone with experience and knowledge taking a minute to straighten me out on this subject.

Thanks,

Dallas

Thanks for the reply and the welcome as well! I own some rifles in what I would call "traditional" sporting calibers like 22LR, 30-30, 30-06 and some shotguns. Primarily family heirlooms that I fire occasionally for fun, but have never owned a .223/5.56. The bulk ammo I'm finding is often labeled as both 223 AND 5.56. Just wanna be sure what is cool (safe) to shoot in my new Saiga AND that I can find some!

Dallas

Awesome. I ordered from Mississippi Auto Arms today. Looking forward to firing it. I actually found a post somewhere and the guy claimed that RAAC assured him the chamber is "MilSpec" and fires 5.56 A-OK. I plan to fire it a bit in the Sporting Configuration while I contemplate a conversion. I think I would keep said conversion to a minimum. Leave the front end of the rifle pretty much alone. Maybe with some vents up there? Don't want to put too much into it.

Thanks for the post Floyd. Any pictures of your 223?

Dallas

It's fine for 5.56 cartridges. Just to make things more official here's a screen shot of an email conversation between the US importer of Saiga rifles (Clyde Woods of RAAC) and myself.

I've used 2009 IMI 5.56 in my rifle with no problems at all.

I hope this puts your mind at ease.

63zhtu.png