Tapco SAW Grip Question.

Hey, everyone.

I am finally ready to do the conversion and I have a question.

I had purchased the Tapco T6 adjustable stock and the pistol grip for the unmodified Saiga rifle. So the pistol grip screwed into the stock rather than the grip bushing like a real AK. Now, my question is: once I do the conversion, can I still use the SAW grip? I am aware that I can get a bushing from Tapco, but is the screw that I would need easy to find? And is the SAW grip that I have the same as the SAW grip that's made specifically for the AK?

I really don't want to purchase another grip on account of some lame technicalities.

Anyway, your replies are appreciated! =) Thanks.

FatalSylence

Edited by FatalSylence

Ok, it is possible, but a pain in the ass. When you do the conversion you will notice that the holes in your pistol grip do not line up with the hole in your rifle. So, what I did was use the rearmost hole and attach the pistol grip to the old trigger slot using a spare nut and bolt I had laying around, with a washer to increase grab area. This option works, but I had reservations about it, since the grip had a little play in it to the left and right.

In the end I threw down for a new pistol grip and bought a warsaw length buttstock.

Ive read from other guys on here that you can drill a new hole in the pistol grip and get it to work that way, but I couldnt see that working when I did it myself.

Ok, it is possible, but a pain in the ass. When you do the conversion you will notice that the holes in your pistol grip do not line up with the hole in your rifle. So, what I did was use the rearmost hole and attach the pistol grip to the old trigger slot using a spare nut and bolt I had laying around, with a washer to increase grab area. This option works, but I had reservations about it, since the grip had a little play in it to the left and right.

In the end I threw down for a new pistol grip and bought a warsaw length buttstock.

Ive read from other guys on here that you can drill a new hole in the pistol grip and get it to work that way, but I couldnt see that working when I did it myself.

So, is the Tapco SAW AK grip different from the one I have then? With the proper holes lined up and whatnot?

I ran into the same problem... The SAW grip that comes with the T6 Intrafuse set is for use with an FAL (I KNOW- I read that somewhere and tried installing it on the hubby's FAL- perfect fit!)... Don't ask me why Tapco did this, but your best bet is to try to sell that SAW to an FAL owner, and spring the $25 or whatever for the AK specific SAW grip.

The other option was mentioned in the other post, but this is your RIFLE! Why mess with a half-assed job?

On another note- the SAW grip positively SUCKS in the rain... Very slippery even with good gloves. (Again, from experience) You may someday rely on this rifle to defend you and your family, no matter what the weather.

Go with an ERGO or Hogue grip. About $25-30 at several on site vendors. I went with ERGO, and love it.

Sometimes you can find used SAW grips on here and other gun forums for sale. I just picked up another SAW grip a couple weeks ago for $8.00 shipped on this board and it was pretty much brand new. All I did was use my own 10mm bolt and washer to install it.

...I've decided to go with the ERGO grip...I'm going to get the Tapco nut and just file wherever I need filing.

Honestly, I don't know why the majority of people buy the Tapco pg nut, (they're not mil-spec, and are only really meant for Tapco brand grips), and then take a file to the AK pistol grip, (fucking it up a bit), of their choice to make it fit. :huh:

Perhaps it's just ignorance, (and because the Tapco hardware is sold everywhere), but there's no reason to do that when there's a properly designed US-made pg nut available; from K-Var. If you use one of theirs, your grip will fit perfectly without any filing.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

...I've decided to go with the ERGO grip...I'm going to get the Tapco nut and just file wherever I need filing.

Honestly, I don't know why the majority of people buy the Tapco pg nut, (they're not mil-spec, and are only really meant for Tapco brand grips), and then take a file to the AK pistol grip, (fucking it up a bit), of their choice to make it fit. :huh:

Perhaps it's just ignorance, (and because the Tapco hardware is sold everywhere), but there's no reason to do that when there's a properly designed US-made pg nut available; from K-Var. If you use one of theirs, your grip will fit perfectly without any filing.

Well, I am aware of the K-Var PG nut, but I was really wanting to get all my parts from one place, saving a bunch on shipping. I don't know, I guess I'm a penny pincher but I also really don't want to ruin my grip. Ehh.

Edit: I might as well say my parts list. I planned to get everything from CarolinaShootersSupply but they don't have the K-Var PG nut.

Single Hook Tapco G2 Trigger Group.

Tapco Retaining Plate.

Trigger Guard Mounting Hardware.

Tapco Grip Nut.

ERGO Classic AK Pistol Grip.

EMA Tactical Vertical Grip.

Edit #2: Plus, I wasn't sure if I had to file the grip nut or the actual grip. I was hoping I could file some metal of the actual nut.

Edited by FatalSylence

Well, I am aware of the K-Var PG nut, but I was really wanting to get all my parts from one place, saving a bunch on shipping. I don't know, I guess I'm a penny pincher but I also really don't want to ruin my grip. Ehh.

Edit: I might as well say my parts list. I planned to get everything from CarolinaShootersSupply but they don't have the K-Var PG nut...

Afaik, the best way to get the K-Var pg nut is from the K-Var website. The shipping should be < $10, and you might find a few other parts to pick up while you're there; e.g. the all black Bulgarian mil-spec AK sling they sell is of excellent quality, I recently bought one.

At the very least, I recommend you pick up a couple polymer Bulgarian "circle-10" mags with your order. They are, without exception, the finest AK mags I've ever used. :up: