Greetings. The latest crap falling out of the mouths of the Obama herd has me off the fence about getting a .308. Now all I need to know is where to focus my attention. I shoot lefty, so I would like a weapon not too cumbersome for a lefty to use. Thinking along the lines of FN FAL or a PTR in .308. Have seen the DPMS Sportical in.308 at a good price but after running AK's not sure about a AR platform.

Any suggestions? Would love something from DS Arms, but not sure I can sink that kind of dough...

Edited by Jpanzer

Greetings. The latest crap falling out of the mouths of the Obama herd has me off the fence about getting a .308. Now all I need to know is where to focus my attention. I shoot lefty, so I would like a weapon not too cumbersome for a lefty to use. Thinking along the lines of FN FAL or a PTR in .308. Have seen the DPMS Sportical in.308 at a good price but after running AK's not sure about a AR platform.

Any suggestions? Would love something from DS Arms, but not sure I can sink that kind of dough...

AKs seem to benefit lefties ergonomically do they not? And isn't the .308 Saiga the easiest to convert? If you're familiar with the system already, I'd say go for it and add that .308 to the collection.

Standard Saiga .308s make great tactical rifles after conversion, come in 16" & 21".

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saiga-308-firearms-c-287_368.html

That or you could get the Saiga.308-ver.21 like I did, no conversion necessary.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=51221&st=0&p=496467&hl=Saiga308-ver21&fromsearch=1entry496467

If I'd had a larger budget, a DSA FAL would have been the order of the day.

From another .308 thread...

I just finished comparison shopping the .308 Saiga, CETME & FAL.

FAL, a great weapon, especially the better built ones, e.g. DSA. But they cost a pretty penny, if I'd had 1200-1500 budgeted, I would have bought a DSA FAL.

CETME, a good platform, but a good one is hard to find. I looked at many and shot a few, almost all were Century builds, and all the Century builds had problems.

I would not recommend a Century nor buy one. If you can find another manufactures build, that looks well put together, shoot it first.

If I could have found a good one, I probably would have bought it.

Saiga, another great firearm, and you pretty much know what your gonna get. Its a Russian made AK, rock solid, accurate, dependable, easily converted/modified & very reasonably priced... WORD!

Imported sporters are going to have to be converted, even if just for the improvement in the FCG.

16" or 21" take your pick, what do you want the weapon to do? I wanted at least a 18", prefer 20"- 22", I wanted a sporty hunter/target shooter.

Saiga offers the S.308-ver.21, I looked, I asked numerous owners/retailers & RAAC a bunch of questions... I bought the ver.21.

Just picked mine up today :smoke:

Thanks for responding guys. Yeah I have to admit, AK's work pretty sweet for lefties. Only the minor irritant of the sling being setup by default for righties, but thats no big deal. Have to admit Chile, that Saiga Version 21 is a nice looking rifle.

Don't know though, if I were going to stay with a Comm block rifle I might have to go the PSL route. But really, I think I want to get familiar with another weapons platform besides AK oriented stuff. Not thrilled about the cocking handle on the left side near the barrel on the HK and it's clones. Could probably adapt to a FN FAL though. Atlantic firearms has this Imbel FAL .308 Carbine for sale: Atlantic Don't know who makes these but I'm kinda tempted to check it out..

Edited by Jpanzer

JP,

Pick up one of the FAL's, you will not be disappointed. If you are interested, we can meet up one of these weekends and you can take my STG for a test run to see how you like it. Nothing against the Saiga at all, but if you are looking for something different and dependable, you can not go wrong with an FAL. Let me know.

JP,

Pick up one of the FAL's, you will not be disappointed. If you are interested, we can meet up one of these weekends and you can take my STG for a test run to see how you like it. Nothing against the Saiga at all, but if you are looking for something different and dependable, you can not go wrong with an FAL. Let me know.

GPD - Might just have to take you up on that! Been interested in a FN FAL for a few years now, finally at a point where I should be able to afford one. BTW, I fixed the link in my above post, check out the Imbel FAL Carbine Atlantic has for sale and let me know what you think...

Professionally assembled FAL or an AR-10.

The truly nice "accurate" FAL's ain't cheap. The truly cheap ones can be a nightmare, both accuracy and reliability-wise.

The AR-10's can be match grade with just a little tweaking. I have a RRA .308 that I've shot next to my buddy's AR and I'm sold on the AR-10. He also has a stable of really sweet FAL's, DSA and otherwise.

-JMHO

guido

I'm a lefty and I have the AR15. Just as good as the ak as far as right/left handed. Only suggestion I might make is if you get the AR10 you might want to make sure it has the brass deflector. Its a little knob thing that sticks out on an angle right behind the ejection port. Its not an accessory tha you can add on later. Its part of the upper. The upper will either have it or not.

Dsa stg58 or sa58 FAL

M1A

HK91 or Ptr 91

I have an Stg58 and I LOVE IT. Heres why.

-Its built like a tank.

-Reliable

-Adjustable gas system.

-Field strips easier than an AK 47.

-It will eat all .308 and 7.62x51mm and ask for more.

-Plentiful and cheap mags

-Accurate. Mine gets between 1-2.5 moa with match grade .308 and

betwen 2-4 moa with nato surplus. Thats benchrest at 100 yards. Ive hit man sized

targets at 400 yards with it standing.

Before this I had a dsa sa58 para and sold it after the second range trip.

It was great but I couldnt get comfortable or a good cheek weld with the stock.

post-24640-1274643752947_thumb.jpg

Edited by saigalupo

Dsa stg58 or sa58 FAL

M1A

HK91 or Ptr 91

-Its built like a tank.

-Reliable

-Adjustable gas system.

betwen 2-4 moa with nato surplus. Thats benchrest at 100 yards. Ive hit man sized

saigalupo, is that Stg58 from DSA also?

Dsa stg58 or sa58 FAL

M1A

HK91 or Ptr 91

-Its built like a tank.

-Reliable

-Adjustable gas system.

saigalupo, is that Stg58 from DSA also?

Yes it is.

Man, it's gonna take a bite outta my wallet, but considering the current state of affairs in this country, it might just be time to go ahead and swallow hard and get the DSA... :cryss:

Man, it's gonna take a bite outta my wallet, but considering the current state of affairs in this country, it might just be time to go ahead and swallow hard and get the DSA... :cryss:

Then swallow hard again, and pack away a few thousand rounds of decent milsurp ammo and a dozen mags.

Then swallow hard again, and pack away a few thousand rounds of decent milsurp ammo and a dozen mags.

Thats good advice. But decent milsurp is going up and the better stuff like radway green is getting hard to find.

Thats the beauty of the FAL, it will fire all of it even the crappy stuff, unlike most .308 ARs.

What about the Keltec RFB? Worth waiting on?

This looks like a very nice rifle. I like that its a bullpup, I like that it is forward ejecting, I like that is has an adjustable gas system, and I like that it takes

fal mags. However it does not come with iron sights which is just stupid and it has not been battle proven like the FAL.

Ill have to def check this thing out though im interested.

Id still have to say go with the FAL.

You can pick up a Dsa Austrian STG58 between $1000-$1100.

Edited by saigalupo
  • 1 month later...

I traded in my AR for a FAL when I came back from Iraq and I have never looked back. Get a DSA STG-58. You will not regret it.

Bought the STG from AIM Surplus. Too good of a deal to pass on. Should have it in hand by mid week.... :angel:

I traded in my AR for a FAL when I came back from Iraq and I have never looked back. Get a DSA STG-58. You will not regret it.

Bought the STG from AIM Surplus. Too good of a deal to pass on. Should have it in hand by mid week.... :angel:

You chose.... Wisely

"but considering the current state of affairs in this country, it might just be time to go ahead and swallow hard "

what people will do for money in this economys current state. LOL I had to.

Don't forget, Obama wants us to bend over and grab our ankles while we're at it too! :killer: