Thoughts on forward pistol grips for Saiga

Recently did my conversion (S12) and realized that even with the moved PG, it is still quite awkward to get your hand on the HG with an MD20 drum in it. So I just got my intrafuse HG and the "Finger groove" forward grip from CSS. Got to say, Im not thrilled with the forward grip. Most of all, it doesnt tightly lock up with the rail and feels flimsy. It is also much fatter than I had expected. There are a couple of slim side panels that can be removed which helps a little at the expense of comfort. The storage tube in the grip is actually a separate tube which comes out of the grip, and this is also the means of attaching the grip to the rail. It seems if they had gone with a standard means of attachment and not needed the separate tube I assume the grip could have been a good bit thinner.

Has anyone tried both this grip and others to tell me if others are more narrow? Any other comments on a good forward grip to get?

I'm going to be using a KZ Extreme foregrip on my S12 and probably use one on my 7.62 eventually. Right now I have a Tapco intrafuse vertical grip on my 7.62 and it feels fine, but the KZ ones are sexier, to me.

KZ Extreme Foregrip:

post-7122-12744874789539_thumb.jpg

KZ Aluminum Foregrip:

post-7122-12744874854332_thumb.jpg

KZ Aluminum Foregrip - flat side model:

post-7122-12744874954152_thumb.jpg

I'll probably use the Extreme model or the flat side model on my S12. They're all about $30.

I like the MultiPosition forgrips myself. Not that I shoot using anything other than the 90degree pos most of the time. But the 45degree makes it faster and easier to pull out of the gun safe and swing into position if needs be.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the KZ Aluminum grip that is pictured in the middle on my S-12 which is solid. Also have an aluminum DPMS on an AK, a Tangodown composite on an M-4gery, and a Tangodown stubby on an AK bullpup which are all solid. Kind of get what you pay for with Crapco furniture.

• 3 weeks later...

It also depends on whether or not you plan to mount a tape switch for a light or other accessory. I ran the TD in the sandbox because I had a tapeswitch for a weaponlight and one for an IR Laser. It has removable panels on the sides for mounting. After mounting, I covered them in a piece of bicycle inner tube to help secure them and also provide some more grip. Another great thing about many of these VFG is the inner storage provisions for spare batteries, weapon bolts, or cleaning supplies.

The rails on the TapCo are pretty flimsy. I had the TapCo fore-end on my 308 before I converted to Bullpup and it always felt like if I put too much pressure on the VFG or bi-pod, the whole rail would break off. I now have the same VFG on my S12 with a Chaos extended quad rail and it feels like a frickin' freight train couldn't budge it. The TapCo looks nice and is affordable, but it needs metal rails with brackets on the inside for stability IMO. I like the Chaos VFG a lot, but wish Cameron made a shorty grip.