First time out with my Saiga .308

This morning I went to the Angeles Shooting Ranges with my new Saiga .308 with 16-in barrel and my new DSA Fal Carbine also with 16-in barrel.

It was very windy this morning, in my scope the target was moving back and forth more than an inch maybe 2 so it was not possible to shoot any groups this morning.

I know some of you will disagree, but I'm much more happy with my Saiga than with my DSA Fal. I paid $500 for my Saiga at Ammo Bros and $1800 for my DSA Fal at Turner's. My Saiga is unconverted; so the strange trigger required some practice to get used to. My brother hated the Saiga trigger, but I have no problem with it. Honestly, as a functional and practical firearm, I think the Saiga is every bit as good as the DSA Fal. Of course, the DSA Fal is much better built with tighter tolerance and more esthetically pleasing, but I value function over cosmetics. In a SHTF situation, I would not hesitate to pick my Saiga .308 over the DSA Fal.

• 4 weeks later...

This morning I went to the Angeles Shooting Ranges with my new Saiga .308 with 16-in barrel and my new DSA Fal Carbine also with 16-in barrel.

It was very windy this morning, in my scope the target was moving back and forth more than an inch maybe 2 so it was not possible to shoot any groups this morning.

I know some of you will disagree, but I'm much more happy with my Saiga than with my DSA Fal. I paid $500 for my Saiga at Ammo Bros and $1800 for my DSA Fal at Turner's. My Saiga is unconverted; so the strange trigger required some practice to get used to. My brother hated the Saiga trigger, but I have no problem with it. Honestly, as a functional and practical firearm, I think the Saiga is every bit as good as the DSA Fal. Of course, the DSA Fal is much better built with tighter tolerance and more esthetically pleasing, but I value function over cosmetics. In a SHTF situation, I would not hesitate to pick my Saiga .308 over the DSA Fal.

I just got back from the range a few minutes ago with my 308. I agree it is very reliable and runs like a well

oiled machine. I have an AR15 but like shooting my 308 more. I converted mine and added the Mako recoil absorbing

adjustable stock which works as advertised,you barely feel any recoil.

Edited by jtboss
  • 2 weeks later...

I took my 308 to the range for the first time yesterday. I used the iron sights and there are no modifications to the gun at all. At 50 yards I was hitting the circle outside the bullseye and hit the bullseye several times. I was amazed with the accuracy!!

Needless to say I am happy with my 308.