So I have this idea...

Recently I've been dicking around with a homemade rocket launcher I built because my saiga is getting expensive lol. It shoots a modified estes rocket and is made out of pvc... Fun as hell and less than $100 for hours of entertainment. Anywho the only problem is it takes a while to get the rockets juuust right to launch smoothly. What does this have to do with Saiga 12s you ask? My plan to remedy the launch is a barrel attachment. something like the grenade launching attachment for the garand but a rocket on a short fuse instead of a grenade. Why you may ask? Why the hell not? Now if I'm about to violate some law please tell me. I'm in Texas and I have plenty of clear land to test on so I think I may be good.

My question to you guys is how would you mount it? My thoughts was a simple short steel tube fit loosely over the barrel. I haven't shot any blanks out of my saiga so I'm not exactly sure what kind pressures I'm dealing with but I'm not stupid (Well... Maybe). Obviously I'd want plenty of open porting to vent off the over pressure. I was thinking a 1.5" steel tube about 3 or 4 inches long over the barrel with 4 "prongs" welded on at an angle that then attach to the main rocket body leaving a large gap between the barrel tube and main body. Then I just figure out a fusing system that will light the three estes motors I'm planning on using from the blast of the blank and I'm in business.

When you are launching rockets from a platform or launch area, its a science project.

When you decide to start launching them from a gun, not so much. Better check with ATF about legalities before you get started.

Hmmm... Well, you could make your rocket engine tube/fuselage less than .50" in diameter, mix your own fuel out of sugar and saltpeter, and use the open end of a shotgun shell to contain the primer/booster charge to ignite the fuel, and thump the whole shootin' match out of the barrel.

Downside: 1. You have to load the shell at the breech, and fit the tube/motor/rocket from the muzzle.

2. It might be a bit rough on the gun... ie it could go "Boom", or really screw up the barrel on the way out.

3. Isaac Newton was a bastard... the mass of the rocket going out will mean one heck of a kick.

4. Back-blast isn't fun.

But, you just built a poor-man's RPG, even sans warhead... the ATF might take issue.

If you find a loophole and it is legal, I might suggest a very careful test period.

Edited by Heath_h49008

There are a few things to consider to avoid legal issues.

1. shoulder fired rocket lauchers are illegal in florida

2. The rocket can't have ANY metal inside (air traffic controllers sh!t themselves when an unidentified/unresponsive blip pops up in a flight path.

3. Should your rocket go awry you are responsible for whatever it hits

4. And the obvious, no explosives or precursors.

personally i like these swat door poppers...they catch the bullet and carry the rocket.

In his book "Guerrilla Warfare" Che Guevara writes about developing a molotov cocktail launcher. He used a 16 gauge sawed off break action with blanks. A wooden rod is attached to the cocktail and muzzle loaded, then fired like a mortar. This would probably work in a Saiga, I might be a little concerned about the bore. If you do it I'd recommend getting a Gunfixer gas plug and turning it to no setting, so that the gas is completely blocked off.

post-16001-12747616300668_thumb.png

Be sure to take pics, I love dangerous fun stuff like this!

FLORIDA...in case the OP lives there, he might want to know that no matter what, a homemade shoulder fired rocket launcher is illegal no matter how "legal" i.e. no explosives, precursors, or metal included he attempted to make it.

That being the case, if you wish to go to "pound me in the ass prison" buy a ticket to Florida, make a rocket launcher and have someone call the police on you.

Maybe you thought i was talking about Florida Evans, the black lady from popular 70's sit-com "Good Times". For the record, Florida Evans does not give a sh!t if you build a rocket launcher, even if it contains DY-NO-MIIITE!. However the state of Florida will have your ass.

2. The rocket can't have ANY metal inside (air traffic controllers sh!t themselves when an unidentified/unresponsive blip pops up in a flight path.

Now I wanna build one just to make this happen. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Honestly, it takes about a day to build a hasty RPG, or a week for a guided job.

Why build one? All you do is attract unwanted attention from the dumb kids. There are 12 year olds in Gaza building Quassams and launching them every day. It really isn't rocket surgery...

Shaped charges, guidance systems, RDX based explosives... blah blah blah... The laws are silly. The only real threat is someone smart enough to build an effective weapon, and willing to use it. If they are smart enough, the tech is so simple they couldn't be stopped by the law. Get what I mean?

He should be able to build his toy in peace.

You know, if a Tromix guy thinks a project sounds dangerous and/or illegal, chances are, it is. I am inclined to agree with Bob and recommend a Cadiz launcher if you want to play with your Saiga.

If you want to shoot the Estes-type model rockets from your person, I recommend a PVC or otherwise innocuous tube, the standard steel guide rod and a large piece of Lexan to protect your face. I would wear sealed eye protection, too.

I would also recommend that when you do this, you do it without a firearm anywhere nearby.

FLORIDA...in case the OP lives there, he might want to know that no matter what, a homemade shoulder fired rocket launcher is illegal no matter how "legal" i.e. no explosives, precursors, or metal included he attempted to make it.

That being the case, if you wish to go to "pound me in the ass prison" buy a ticket to Florida, make a rocket launcher and have someone call the police on you.

Maybe you thought i was talking about Florida Evans, the black lady from popular 70's sit-com "Good Times". For the record, Florida Evans does not give a sh!t if you build a rocket launcher, even if it contains DY-NO-MIIITE!. However the state of Florida will have your ass.

He's in Texas, Florida doesn't matter.

Just in case you don't know what I'm talking about, try READING the last sentence of the first paragraph...

Edited by Caged

Fired from a firearm whether propelled by a shotgun charge or an Estes rocket, I think you are getting awfully close to a destructive device. A talcum powder round from a grenade launcher is considered a DD and each projectile requires a stamp. Shoot your rocket from the intended launch platform or you may be getting used to being called bitch and picking up everyone's soap in a gang shower. Just saying...

Ok ok ok i should have read closer so to help make up his mind further... SOOOOO {deep breath} far as the batfe is concerned you can't use your own propellant and less than 6 grams commercial unless you apply for a waiver, you can't fire it from a weapon, you can't aim it at anything but up, you can't fire into a cloud, it must tumble or float to the ground after being fired and can't retain it's form and stick into the ground like a lawn dart, it can't be launched 5 miles from an airport, Can't have metal, If there is a likelihood that the rocket will exceed a specific distance (can't remember) from the earth you must notify the FAA and local airports 48 hours prior after receiving a waiver from the FAA, you can't use anything flammable or explosive, it must be made to crush under impact, can't weigh more than 1500 grams including motors, they must fire with an electronic ignition system.

In summation, don't do it.

Maybe you thought i was talking about Florida Evans, the black lady from popular 70's sit-com "Good Times". For the record, Florida Evans does not give a sh!t if you build a rocket launcher

It really isn't rocket surgery...

Not sure which quote is funnier haha.gif

Maybe you thought i was talking about Florida Evans, the black lady from popular 70's sit-com "Good Times". For the record, Florida Evans does not give a sh!t if you build a rocket launcher

It really isn't rocket surgery...

Not sure which quote is funnier haha.gif

I'm glad somebody got that joke.

One of my other favorites is "It's going downhill, like a fat kid on a sled." (The real joke being no matter how fat the kid, or how steep the hill, he still falls at 33ft per second squared.)

Not everybody gets dry humor.