Most of my coolest shots came from my Hoyt bow, but I'm talking guns for now.

When I was 14, I shot a gobbler at about 75-100 yards in the neck with a .223 rifle. It had a 9-1/4" beard and no damaged meat.

I'm curious to hear some good skill stories.

The most recent memorable one was knocking 750ml empty liquor bottles off a stand at ~25yds by just grazing them with .45 ACP fired from a Glock 30, (yes, this was intentional :D ). The bullets left marks, but they didn't so much as crack the glass. I managed this 4 times in a row on the same bottle before it broke.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

credit cards in half with the glock 9mm......skinny ways of course....

and i had some shitty 9mm ammo that wouldnt run in a storm lake conversion barrel for my g22(40 ->9mm) i put one of these rounds on top of the backstop and managed to perfectly put a 9mm round thru a 9mm round standing on end(cut a half circle in the brass) from about 15 yards....

not the most impressive but it showed me the storm lake barrel was as accurate as i thought it was

not the best shots ever, but luckily i had witnesses to these events, it put a smile on my face

This one is more funny luck than skill. I was shooting my S&W 2206 at one of those spinner targets in the ground, my wife was shooting her Walther p22 at a big paper man target nearby. She does a 10 round mag dump and that spinner started rolling. She hit it 6 out of 10 through the paper. We were laughing our asses off, because she couldn't hit it when she was trying.

Some seriously nice shots there Gentlemen and thanks for sharing. :super:

What was my best shot? Well, it was the one that let me come home one night when I maybe shouldn't have. Any other shots that I have ever made will always seem way less important to me than that one. :eek:

Edited by GeorgiaPD
  • Like 1

Mine was a toss-up between two 400yd rock chucks shot with my .308 consecutively (they're about the size of a small cottontail, but skinnier) and a 495yd coyote head shot with my 7mm. The head shot part wasn't intentional, but it's not as if I tripped and the gun went off. Got that one on video too!

Coolest I ever saw was my buddy getting a first round hit on one of those small propane tanks (for camping) at 80yds......with a subcompact 9mm! (It had a road flare behind it) :super:

The first deer I shot with a bow was around 30yrds and I hit it right in the temple. It did a flip on it's back and about three kicks with the back leg and was done. My younger bro was right next to me and couldn't stop laughing because he thought I actually aimed there. I was 16 yrs old (he was 14) and it was the first time I'd driven the CJ-7 to go hunting by ourselves. Not much room for a deer INside a CJ...good thing it was red.

Wow this should be a good thread. :super:

Man the best shot? That would require some thinking after all these years... There's one good one that always comes to mind and is probably the most memorable for me. First time my granddad ever let me shoot his .22. We were out at the old fishin hole and he brought along his old pump action Winchester .22. The fish weren't biting too good so he asked me if I wanted to shoot a real gun. I was only about 7 and til then had only shot my bb gun. After I showed him that Bud tallboys weren't much of a challenge...lol...he said he bet I couldn't shoot the fire off the end of a cigarette and proceeded to show me just how it was done from about 50 feet. He lit one of his unfiltered Camels and

stuck it upright in a fencepost for me. I don't know which one of us grinned the biggest proudest grin, me or him, when I cut that cig down just below the cherry! That was one sweet old antique gun. My uncle still has it. Got a picture somewhere of me holding it and wearing my old coonskin Davey Crockett hat.

Longest shot I've made was once when my buddy handed off his .308 Remy 700 to me at a local rock quarry and let me shoot at a water filled 16 oz Mt Dew bottle from 600 yds. He was pretty proud of his rifle and the Leopold scope on there. Had it sighted in dead nuts. Took me three shots to hit it the bottle dead center and splatter it good. What was even more cool was watching the first two shots kick up dirt on each side of the bottle before the third shot hit home right in the middle. Heh...I still have that splattered plastic bottle somewhere. Had to bring it home for a souvenir.

I remember gaining a real appreciation for my Saiga .308 though with the gas operated system...that bolt gun kicked like a mule compared to the Saiga.

The first deer I shot with a bow was around 30yrds and I hit it right in the temple. It did a flip on it's back and about three kicks with the back leg and was done. My younger bro was right next to me and couldn't stop laughing because he thought I actually aimed there. I was 16 yrs old (he was 14) and it was the first time I'd driven the CJ-7 to go hunting by ourselves. Not much room for a deer INside a CJ...good thing it was red.

I never took a deer with my Hoyt, but I hit 3 carp in the same day. Two 26" and one 28". I'd whack 'em from a 9' bank and jump in and grab the arrow and fling 'em up on the shore.

My best shot was when I hit a grey squirrel right below the head while it was facing me at 40 yards.

My luckiest shot was this loud bird in my driveway was driving me nuts, so I flung an arrow at it-I was pretty drunk. It ricocheted off the cement and decapitated the bird!

My ugliest shot was when I was living in the city in '94-95, I heard some rustling around in the living room. I knock up an arrow and creep out. I see two guys steeling my Super Nintendo and VCR. I fling an arrow into the couch and knock another from my position in the dark kitchen. They run out into a waiting car. I follow and take out the rear window as they're driving off. I had no more problems for the rest of the time I lived there.

I miss that bow. I just sold it last year. I'm too much into guns to keep up with practice.

My ugliest shot was when I was living in the city in '94-95, I heard some rustling around in the living room. I knock up an arrow and creep out. I see two guys steeling my Super Nintendo and VCR. I fling an arrow into the couch and knock another from my position in the dark kitchen. They run out into a waiting car. I follow and take out the rear window as they're driving off. I had no more problems for the rest of the time I lived there.

Holy shit! Damn right they never came back, LOL

Mockingbird landed atop my 100yrd target, without really thinking about it, I placed my Tasco's 3x crosshairs on his eye, pulled the trigger and actually hit it in the eye with my Marlin Model 60 .22lr.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I once shot a man from 380 yards with a pellet gun, he was holding crate of grenades, dropped them, and blew up. :killer: hahaha, I have no skill stories to tell yet, just a bunch of boring paper shots from a few hundred yards with iron sights and groups less than 1" from match grade bolt-actions, so that's not too hard....maybe I'll have some kewl video to share later, should be a good year with toys :ph34r:

Edited by Vultite

Backstory: My mom went through a phase of having random pictures made into buttons (some weird craft phase, I dunno). So she ended up having one made of my sister's boyfriend at the time. Well they ended up splitting up (he was a pretty-boy douche). Out of boredom and randomness, I stuck the pin to a pumpkin when were out shooting one day. Broke out my new (at the time) 9mm AR, took aim from about 50ish yards away, and hit damn near dead center of said 2.5" button. Which left a nice 9mm hole in his face. Not amazing by any means, but I had just thrown a cheap Millet red dot on it, and it wasn't sighted in yet, so I thought it was pretty cool to be so dead on, out of the box. Probably more random luck, than anything.

At an indoor range. I was shooting my M44 (sold since) at about 75-100yrds. The target was held up by two metal hooks about as thick as a pencil. I had just bought this rifle and it was my very first weapon so I didnt know a lot about shooting, trigger pull, aiming.....I aimed at the head, pulled the trigger and the target swayed back and forth. It turned out that I put an x54 round right through one of the metal hooks. Cut it in half. Try standing a pencil at about a 100 yards and cutting it half with a ww2 surplus M44 :) I couldnt do it again if my life depended on it. THe range charged me $30 for damage to property :(

It wasn't purposeful, but... Just a few weeks ago I dumped a magazine through my C3 dealer's post-sample Hungarian AK. When we went up to the berm a minute or so later, there was a dead skink in the churned-up dirt, with two holes in it. It was just a little thing, maybe five inches long, tail included.

Can't think of any really great shots I've made purposefully.

Some seriously nice shots there Gentlemen and thanks for sharing. :super:

What was my best shot? Well, it was the one that let me come home one night when I maybe shouldn't have. Any other shots that I have ever made will always seem way less important to me than that one. :eek:

Thanks for sharing your story. Things like that can be hard to talk about. I'm glad it turned out in your favor.

Here's a LOT less impressive shot. I hit a Pepsi can hanging from a string with my Mosin-open sights at 90 yards. I have a scout scope on it now that I still haven't shot in yet.

I have a 40 dollar marlin that I can still shoot string in half with 95% of the time with iron sights.....still pisses people off when betting for bullets....

I think my best shot wasnt even with a gun though. took my dad's last full beer when he held it out about 80 feet away with a handball first try.

Oh crap, forgot. When I first got my Kimber (sold since then), my buddy and I were out practicing mag dumps and double-taps. The gun got away from me and I knocked the top left tack off the paper. My buddy said I couldn't do it again, so I did. 3 more times in a row (7yds) Not super impressive, but I was happy.

He tried it with his Taurus 9mm but couldn't do it. Said it was because of bullet diameter :rolleyes:

That was an accurate little pistol, but what a jam-o-matic!

I liked reading the responses. Keep them coming!

With a bow it was on my first bull elk on my first time out. I ended up getting a cough that I couldn't hold back for the dam. Found a heavily used trail crossing and sat there for a few minutes only to have brow tine bull come in sorta downwind. I was kinda pressing it by taking a 40 yard neck shot but none the less I connected. He did a backflip and layed on the ground spinning circles with his hinds. Stuck him again for good measure.

With a rifle I ranged a mulie buck at 400 yards with about 45 degree upwards angle. I touched the first one off crouched down behind a small rock and with the scope wacking me in the forehead I wasn't sure if I connected. Yeah, I felt and tasted the blood running down my face. He was still standing so I sent another off at him and that took him off his feet. When I got up there is when I noticed I really didn't need the second shot but I was happy with the outcome. That's my first and only hero picture with a ringer oozing blood. I'd do it again though!

We are talking off-hand shots here, right?

My most memorable one was at a snow shoe walk/shoot with black powder rifles. I was scoring dead last in a group of about 6 or 7 men. Last shooting station was your choice of clays at 50 yards for 2 points, or a charcoal briquette hanging on a string for 10 points. The leaders all went for the clays figuring nobody would hit the charcoal. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I chose the charcoal. As much to mine as everyone's surprise I powdered the thing using a .50 cal Pennsylvania long rifle with patched round ball. The perfectly circular shock wave of charcoal looked awesome against the snow backdrop. The ten points put me in first place to win the shoot. The lead shooter up to that point was not a good sport about it either, arguing that the charcoal shouldn't have been worth 10.

Lucky shot? Sure, but it was what I was aiming at!

I had a clothespin clipped to the chicken wire that holds the targets at the local range and shot it off the wire with my Browning Buckmark at 25 yards offhand. My Dad was with me and he bet me I couldn't do it again. I did it twice and quit.

600yd snap shot @ a deer from the kneeling position, supported.Dropped it. Distance was measured after the kill. Gun: Savage Tactical 308. Witnessed.

100yd hit on a fly, open sights, M1A, with my dad as spotter using a high magnification spotting scope. At first, Ihe thought it was a bullet hole, until it moved, them I started trying to hit the fly. . Got him in 3 shots. The little bastard was walking around on the target. I think he liked the orange dot I had pasted to it. I still have the target. You can see fly splattered on it. ( I didn't hit him quite dead center )

~200yd hit on a bowling pin with an Automag III. More a volume of fire thing than actual accuracy. A lot of luck with that one!

Edited by patriot

This is great thread with some amazing stories. 027.gif

All I can ad is a couple of weeks ago I was popping 12" balloons at 500m with a converted Saiga .223

with bi-pod and Burris Scope.

Funny how you never forget a great shot or a great fish or a great f0ckers.gifbiggrin.gif

Well, it isnt so much my best shot, as much as I would call it my best group.

With the Savage, I put 5 .308 rounds into a .37" hole at 100 yards... It really isnt all that impressive really... as the Rifle is an F/TR and is designed to shoot F class competition out of the box...

Got the load data for that one listed in the reloading section ... plus pics of the target... :up:

here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=41276

:smoke:

This probably isn't my best shot ever but it is the best shot I have made in awhile. 100 yards off hand with a Ruger LCR I hit a small water bottle with my first shot(more luck). Another one that just popped into my head is I smoked a squirrel right out of the lower branch of a tree with a HK USP Tactical .45 with one shot at 35 yards. The squirrel was missing part of his head.

Two of the best shots I have witnessed came from my brother and his win model 70 in 270. First shot was before he put a scope on it he hit a snow shoe hare in a dead sprint(ziggin and zaggin) at 50+ yards one shot. The next shot was after he had sighted in his scope. There was a tiny little tweety bird on the top of a giant pine tree behind our house. The tree was 35+ yards or so away but was 50+ feet tall easy. He took aim through his scope and took that little buggers head clean off. I wouldnt have believed it if I didnt see it. It was a perfectly clean cut.