Tapco stock unfit for Saiga's?

I ran across a posting on another forum that is interesting and wanted to get some opinions on it here. See link below:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179794#post14683909

It seems the Tapco stock is not built with the Saiga's ak-74 style butt stock trunnion in mind--it does not fit flush up against the trunnion. Therefore, the sides of the receiver bear the brunt of recoil against the stock. I compared a Tapco Warsaw length stock with a K-var and the OEM Saiga stock and it's true--the Tapco is slightly shorter where it is supposed to make contact with the receiver trunnion. Anyone else think this is of concern?

Yes, it does fit. The three walls of the receiver fit flush up against the Tapco stock where they are supposed to--I agree with you there. But is it doing what it is supposed to do in terms of making contact with the rear trunnion step to absorb recoil? It's clear that the Tapco model does not have the same specs as the original Saiga stock when compared side by side--so it's not making contact with the trunnion as the original does. So, even though it may feel like it fits, could it be lacking in a key area that could be detrimental to the rifle over the long term?

Yes, it does fit. The three walls of the receiver fit flush up against the Tapco stock where they are supposed to--I agree with you there. But is it doing what it is supposed to do in terms of making contact with the rear trunnion step to absorb recoil? It's clear that the Tapco model does not have the same specs as the original Saiga stock when compared side by side--so it's not making contact with the trunnion as the original does. So, even though it may feel like it fits, could it be lacking in a key area that could be detrimental to the rifle over the long term?

No. I really don't believe so. With all due respect you're over thinking this. The steel in a Saiga receiver is exceptionally tough and resillient.

However, if you aren't confident that a Tapco stock is the best option for you - there are many alternatives.

Yes, the receivers are strong. However, the original design of the rifle called for that internal receiver step to make contact with the stock. So, I'm going to go with the K-var stock. Nothing against Tapco but I think their model is better suited for AKMs which have shallower trunnion steps.

Yes, the receivers are strong. However, the original design of the rifle called for that internal receiver step to make contact with the stock. So, I'm going to go with the K-var stock. Nothing against Tapco but I think their model is better suited for AKMs which have shallower trunnion steps.

Sounds like a good choice. Let us know how it works out for you:)

Keep in mind... Glocktalk is where the original "mall ninja" appeared... Then vanished just as suddenly. :ph34r:

Caveat Emptor.

Seriously though, you can't go wrong with K-Var over Tapco any day of the week, IMO.

Its actually the KVAR stocks that require a little work to fit up flush, the Tapco fits perfectly out of the box, that being said, I have a Tapco and am in search of a KVAR because they are thicker, and have the trapdoor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered the Kvar fixed and quickly returned it based on fit and finish. I ended up going with the T6 collapsible stock and it feels far superior. I don't know why everyone knocks Tapco. US made, great customer support and good fit/finish for the money.

Their stuff is not even close to mil spec. It belongs on airsoft guns.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, with three points of contact to the receiver, which is the thicker AK-100 series receiver, I believe that this is a non-issue. It is on there, it is rock solid, and if it is properly installed, it will probably take a nuke to move it.

I think it could use a recoil pad though, it is a little on the short side.