Bulgarian -74 or -47 parts?

I know a lot of -74 and -47 parts are interchangeable, such as the FCG and furniture. However, I'd like to buy some spare internal Bulgarian parts in case parts become harder to find. We all know the AK market has fluxuated greatly over the years. Anyhow, the part that's most confusing to me is the Bolt Carrier Group, Gas Piston, and Bolt. I know the SAIGA uses a -74 gas piston; does it use a -74 bolt carrier too? I assume it uses a -47 bolt for the 7.62x39mm.

Unfortunately, this is about the only downside of a Saiga. It uses a non-standard bolt and carrier. Izhmash doesn't ship any replacement parts to RAA for these weapons, so these type of replacement parts are impossible to find, unless you find someone who is selling a gun for parts.

There is a report that the AK74 firing pin will work in the 7.62x39. A few people are running them on here.

It has a smaller 'head' but will still break the primer and make it go bang. I'd buy at least a firing pin.

Check local shows or just google it.

For $340 you can also just buy a spare rifle..

I agree that spare parts would be great.

There were other parts mentioned in a post on here with a list last year.

most 74 parts can be swapped into your saiga. and about the bolts. well, akm bolts and the newer style bolts have the same bolt face, so dropping in the whole assy with carrier should work as long as you swap the pistons. akm/47 pistons are a tad diff...

AKM bolt will not work! the shaft of the bolt is much thicker then a standard Saiga 7.62 bolt. so forget using a AKM bolt and carrier in a saiga

most 74 parts can be swapped into your saiga. and about the bolts. well, akm bolts and the newer style bolts have the same bolt face, so dropping in the whole assy with carrier should work as long as you swap the pistons. akm/47 pistons are a tad diff...

An AKM carrier is higher than a 74 type or a 100 series like the saiga. It will not fit. I tried it with a few different AKM variants. I posted a few pictures of this in the past. The carrier arm will not slip into the 74 style rear sight block opening.

Edited by my762buzz

An AKM carrier is higher than a 74 type or a 100 series like the saiga. It will not fit. I tried it with a few different AKM variants. I posted a few pictures of this in the past. The carrier arm will not slip into the 74 style rear sight block opening.

i got a romanian akm carrier to fit in my saiga, it slid back and forth but the bolt will not go in, only the carrier.

i got a romanian akm carrier to fit in my saiga, it slid back and forth but the bolt will not go in, only the carrier.

The AKM carriers that I tried out fit into the track and moved forward but stopped when the top of the arm brushed the top of the inner gas block.

The AKM bolts have a shorter head which also will not work with the new style trunnions.

1417bi9.jpg

n477ky.jpg

Thank you for the updates and pictures everyone! I was reading that a -74 carrier will work with a saiga bolt, but that is the only combination without heavy modification. I wonder how much it would cost to have a spare bolt machined by a shop..