What has your expirience been when out shooting automatic weapons, either at a formal shooting range or on land you own, and a LEO arrives? Or you are the LEO responding?

Thanks,

MCASSgt New River

Never had/seen a LEO inquire as to such at a well run range, most times weapons/stamps are checked in either by the office or range master.

I had one case where staff asked if I had FA or was bumpfiring, told'em bumpfiring and they went about their business.

Seen one case at a unstaffed public range where a LEO simply asked to see paperwork and then showed interest in the weapon and talking guns.

No experience with private property/informal range.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Private land, lots of hardware to include the following full autos, a Sterling, MP-40, MP-5K, M-16, MG-42, and a Browning 1919 MG. LEO shows up sees all that plus the numerous long guns and handguns everyone has as we looked like a local militia meeting to say the least. Asks for paperwork on the reported machine guns. All is good to go, we let the LEO try the MG-42. :devil:

My range does not allow full auto (or 50BMG). So, I'm forced to go off to the woods to shoot. I have yet to see any fuzz there. If I do it will be a USFS LEO (they patrol USFS and BLM land). I know there will not be an issue with these federal LEO's. If the county Sheriffs come by I always have copies my forms (with their boss's signature on them) so I don't think there will be an issue there either. Actually, I have never had any range master or LEO give me any problem (other than to see my range membership card). However, it seems like every fudd at the range is an "expert" and needs to tell me how all my papered NFA items are illegal/immoral...another reason just to go out to the sticks and shoot.

Edited by sunnybean

Private land, lots of hardware to include the following full autos, a Sterling, MP-40, MP-5K, M-16, MG-42, and a Browning 1919 MG. LEO shows up sees all that plus the numerous long guns and handguns everyone has as we looked like a local militia meeting to say the least. Asks for paperwork on the reported machine guns. All is good to go, we let the LEO try the MG-42. :devil:

Question, was the property gated or otherwise entry controlled, or was it open access?

I'm wondering what gave the officer authority to enter the property besides just the sounds of FA fire.

If the property was open access he can enter at will, see the weapons and thus ask for paperwork.

If it was controlled access,

does the FA fire give reasonable suspicion of a crime in progress and allow him to enter without a warrant to investigate?

It would seem to me since FA are legal, he would either have to surmise the weapons fire is from legal weapons, or get a warrant?

I know this is going to vary from state to state.

Edited by ChileRelleno

My range does not allow full auto (or 50BMG). So, I'm forced to go off to the woods to shoot. I have yet to see any fuzz there. If I do it will be a USFS LEO (they patrol USFS and BLM land). I know there will not be an issue with these federal LEO's. If the county Sheriffs come by I always have copies my forms (with their boss's signature on them) so I don't think there will be an issue there either. Actually, I have never had any range master or LEO give me any problem (other than to see my range membership card). However, it seems like every fudd at the range is an "expert" and needs to tell me how all my papered NFA items are illegal/immoral...another reason just to go out to the sticks and shoot.

I've heard the Illegal arguments before, even with paperwork shoved in their face... But never heard Immoral. I'd like to hear what the jackass(es) had to say on that, please.

I've heard the Illegal arguments before, even with paperwork shoved in their face... But never heard Immoral. I'd like to hear what the jackass(es) had to say on that, please.

Mainly just folks that love guns, but only if they serve a purpose...hunting in their minds. They see no point in a SBS, SBR, FA, or a suppressor. A suppressor? What is you, some kinda sniper or something? These are the same folks that think an AK is evil...and they've never been on the wrong end or one before.

Here's and example. This winter I was sighting in my 8" RJ SBS S-12. An older guy pulls up in the lane next to me and needs to set up a target. I'm very polite (as always) and put up the flag for him. He comes back and pulls out this tiny little .22lr to sight in. I ask him if it's his or what. He said it was a xmas gift for his grandson. Very cool! We talk for a little bit and let him know how neat I think it is to give his grandson a .22, blah, blah, blah. So, we muff up and I continue shooting. He can obviously see that the S-12 is hucking 12ga shells and I'm sure the fireball isn't too pleasant to be around if you're not really used to it. So, I ask if he wants me to move over a lane. He says no but asks if what the hell I'm shooting. With a big shit eating grin, I explain its basically a sawed off AK47 shotgun. Then guy completely changes mood, doesn't say a word, quickly packs his shit up, doesn't even retrieve his target, gets in his truck and speeds out of the range. WTF?

Mainly just folks that love guns, but only if they serve a purpose...hunting in their minds. They see no point in a SBS, SBR, FA, or a suppressor. A suppressor? What is you, some kinda sniper or something? These are the same folks that think an AK is evil...and they've never been on the wrong end or one before.

Here's and example. This winter I was sighting in my 8" RJ SBS S-12. An older guy pulls up in the lane next to me and needs to set up a target. I'm very polite (as always) and put up the flag for him. He comes back and pulls out this tiny little .22lr to sight in. I ask him if it's his or what. He said it was a xmas gift for his grandson. Very cool! We talk for a little bit and let him know how neat I think it is to give his grandson a .22, blah, blah, blah. So, we muff up and I continue shooting. He can obviously see that the S-12 is hucking 12ga shells and I'm sure the fireball isn't too pleasant to be around if you're not really used to it. So, I ask if he wants me to move over a lane. He says no but asks if what the hell I'm shooting. With a big shit eating grin, I explain its basically a sawed off AK47 shotgun. Then guy completely changes mood, doesn't say a word, quickly packs his shit up, doesn't even retrieve his target, gets in his truck and speeds out of the range. WTF?

He was obviously on his way to purchase one. :super:

• Like 1

Question, was the property gated or otherwise entry controlled, or was it open access?

I'm wondering what gave the officer authority to enter the property besides just the sounds of FA fire.

If the property was open access he can enter at will, see the weapons and thus ask for paperwork.

If it was controlled access,

does the FA fire give reasonable suspicion of a crime in progress and allow him to enter without a warrant to investigate?

It would seem to me since FA are legal, he would either have to surmise the weapons fire is from legal weapons, or get a warrant?

I know this is going to vary from state to state.

Open access. If it were gated, I think FA fire is probable cause for the Deputy to gain access as not all FA weapons are legal right? Unless of course you have the stamps. This has happened more than once on the same land. Best to just be polite and comply with the request as law abiding firearm owners. A couple of the Deputies knew one of our shooters as he is a local FFL that makes lots of transactions with the two county Sheriff's departments here anyway.

Not on fully autos but

yeah I get shit from people all the time about "why would you need that".. crap like that.. I just say for fun (so I can avoid the political first amendment discussion while I'm tryng to shoot..)

Having said that 75% of the people out there like my saigas/ak.. Often they talk to me and ask about the guns, and one time I showed up without my s-12 and someone else had an unconverted one and everyone was talking about it and how awesome it was out of his earshot.. he had no idea everyone at the range thought his gun was badass.. made me smile wondering what they would have thought if I brought out my s-12 complete with md20 and ak wood. When I take my s-12 to the skeet range most people there like it.. even the people with expensive shotguns who I figured would be snobby have often liked it and wanted to try it.. most of my problems are at standard rifle/pistol ranges.

One thing that pisses me off the most though is when I'm shooting, and some guy with a .22 sets up next to me and then glares at me when a round bounces off his table/head or starts bitching. I was there first, and it's not like I can do anything about it.. plus half the time the guy on my left is covering me in his casings, I just don't care.

He was obviously on his way to purchase one. :super:

I bet he was really pissed his grandson give him a shitty little .22 after seeing that beast and was on his way to kick his little ass! :lolol:

Open access. If it were gated, I think FA fire is probable cause for the Deputy to gain access as not all FA weapons are legal right? Unless of course you have the stamps. This has happened more than once on the same land. Best to just be polite and comply with the request as law abiding firearm owners. A couple of the Deputies knew one of our shooters as he is a local FFL that makes lots of transactions with the two county Sheriff's departments here anyway.

I agree that it is best to be polite and comply, but I don;t think that just hearing FA fire should be reasonable suspicion. No, not all MGs are legal, but neither are all semi-autos. As a matter of fact, I bet that there are more illegal semi-autos than MGs, bot in percentage and shear numbers. Either way, it's a good idea to have a gate and the certainly should not be jumping fences without a warrant IMHO.

I know exactly the kind of person, and I don't even have as cool of toys as 8" SBS Saigas....

I was at my gun club about a month ago, rolled up to the range and set up. I see it's pretty packed, there's 10 ports at the rifle range and like 7-8 people there. So I grab a spot and set up. Pretty much everyone is an older guy, I'm the only one without gray hair, and they're all shooting various bolts in lead sleds, or lever guns, and one guy had a black powder of some sort. I am sighting in that day so I sit down with a 7.62 Saiga and from the minute I take it out the case, all eyes are on me. None of them said anything, but they're all just staring at me. I have no clue why, as the club is in PA where you can have anything the ATF allows you to have....

It's really a shame that a lot of these older guys act like this towards younger shooters or people without "sporting" type guns. I'm not breaking any range rules or anything, and luckily I could give 2 fucks what the fudds think. But these people do a lot more harm than good for the sport. I could care less if they're in the NRA, big whoop. By alienating younger shooters they work to prevent the "torch from passing on" and by "discriminating" against types of guns, they help the anti-gunners. I wish more of them would realize this.

What has your expirience been when out shooting automatic weapons, either at a formal shooting range or on land you own, and a LEO arrives? Or you are the LEO responding?

Thanks,

MCASSgt New River

SSgt,

I have responded to many calls about automatic gunfire, but most of those turned out to be illegally possessed or converted weapons systems. I don't have a problem at all with people legally owner FA's and furthermore, I encourage it. I believe that they are not only great fun, but also a great investment and they are exercising their rights in the funnest possible way.

I've never had to ask anyone for paperwork on their weapons, but mostly because they make it easy for me to tell at a distance. When they see my patrol car and they run, it is illegal. If they stand by and let me make contact with them, then they get a good conversation and the typical ooh's and aah's. Simple :smoke:

Thanks,

MCASSgt New River

SSgt,

I have responded to many calls about automatic gunfire, but most of those turned out to be illegally possessed or converted weapons systems. I don't have a problem at all with people legally owner FA's and furthermore, I encourage it. I believe that they are not only great fun, but also a great investment and they are exercising their rights in the funnest possible way.

I've never had to ask anyone for paperwork on their weapons, but mostly because they make it easy for me to tell at a distance. When they see my patrol car and they run, it is illegal. If they stand by and let me make contact with them, then they get a good conversation and the typical ooh's and aah's. Simple :smoke:

Don't take this the wrong way GPD, but what difference would it make if you did have a problem with it? Its legal.

Edited by DogMan

Thanks,

MCASSgt New River

SSgt,

Don't take this the wrong way GPD, but what difference would it make if you did have a problem with it? Its legal.

It probably wouldn't make a difference if he did have a problem with it....I think he's just stating his opinion as a LEO and trying to show that while some may be opposed to people owning guns, whether they be auto or not, not all cops are. Personally, most of the shots fired calls I go to are fireworks. Judging by the calls we get you would think everyone in town is dying on New Years and 4th of July. I think the only automatic gunfire call I went to was someone complaining about Ft Knox just up the road doing some training. I politely explained that I don't have near the authority needed to make that stop.

Thanks,

MCASSgt New River

SSgt,

It probably wouldn't make a difference if he did have a problem with it....I think he's just stating his opinion as a LEO and trying to show that while some may be opposed to people owning guns, whether they be auto or not, not all cops are. Personally, most of the shots fired calls I go to are fireworks. Judging by the calls we get you would think everyone in town is dying on New Years and 4th of July. I think the only automatic gunfire call I went to was someone complaining about Ft Knox just up the road doing some training. I politely explained that I don't have near the authority needed to make that stop.

Yeah, I was probably reading more into that line than was actually there. I like GPD, he's a good cop.:super:

Yeah, I was probably reading more into that line than was actually there. I like GPD, he's a good cop.:super:

Dogman,

Yeah, you were reading more into it than intended, but it is all good. I pretty much figured out what you were trying to say and actually agree with you. In the grand scheme of things, it does not matter what my personal beliefs are in the matter. I do appreciate the above comment though and much respect back to you :super:

Cooger was correct in his statements about alot of officers around the country. Many officers do not like to see all of those big nasty machines of death in the hands of "Mortals" and would like to see them go away. Obviously, I DO NOT share their views and therefore do not have any type of problem with them being owned. If everyone had to give them up, then I would be in the same boat with everyone else as I am also an owner.

• Like 2

Thanks,

MCASSgt New River

The only time I've ever had a chance to fire an NFA weapon (not including mil. issue) was a Mac 11 with a suppressor. Like every other shooting range in Texas, it was ill-maintained and would not allow "rapid fire", even though you had to pay $12 (mil. discount rate) to get in. The range safety, who was a serious hard-on who I always had run-ins with; and a Temple PD officer were sitting there making idle threats (I just wanted to fire it with the suppressor) that if I fired it in FA I'd be "in trouble".

I got to fire 5 rounds, and magically, I didn't accidentally slip it in FA. I did make some choice comments to both the safety and the LEO, and they heard me and didn't say shit. ("I don't need a fucking audience, thank you", and "You guys are doing a great job keeping everyone safe")

This is one of many examples of why I hate most Texans. There are exceptions, and most of them are on this forum.

The only time I've ever had a chance to fire an NFA weapon (not including mil. issue) was a Mac 11 with a suppressor. Like every other shooting range in Texas, it was ill-maintained and would not allow "rapid fire", even though you had to pay $12 (mil. discount rate) to get in. The range safety, who was a serious hard-on who I always had run-ins with; and a Temple PD officer were sitting there making idle threats (I just wanted to fire it with the suppressor) that if I fired it in FA I'd be "in trouble".

I had a similar experience (minus the jerk-offs). Had an M4 (department issued/select-fire, not an "M4gery") in my hands at a range in SC, but didn't get to fire it on "go-fast" due to range rules. Funny thing though, is that because it was so well-used, when I flicked the selector to "Fire", it went all the way to the happy-switch.........and I was really tempted to let a quick burp go, followed by a "Woops! :angel: ". But because it wasn't my gun, and it was at a range that my buddy frequents.......I decided it was best not to do it. Talk about restraint.

The fudds you guys are talking about are the reason why our gun rights are in jeopardy. When "shooters" don't believe that we have a right to own certain firearms, we are pretty much fucked.

Everytime I go to work at Scheels and I am showing customers the AR15's, I always get at least one person that asks me if they are full auto or machine guns.

The misinformation the media spews is partially to blame, but the card carrying NRA members that don't believe that a full auto or semi-auto is necessary are the real reason the gun control lobby has a voice at silencing our Constitutional rights!

If someone asks me why I need something like a Saiga or a suppressor, I say, "to defend our Country's freedom and liberty, and to protect your right to tell me I shouldn't have it."

• Like 4

The fudds you guys are talking about are the reason why our gun rights are in jeopardy. When "shooters" don't believe that we have a right to own certain firearms, we are pretty much fucked.

Everytime I go to work at Scheels and I am showing customers the AR15's, I always get at least one person that asks me if they are full auto or machine guns.

The misinformation the media spews is partially to blame, but the card carrying NRA members that don't believe that a full auto or semi-auto is necessary are the real reason the gun control lobby has a voice at silencing our Constitutional rights!

If someone asks me why I need something like a Saiga or a suppressor, I say, "to defend our Country's freedom and liberty, and to protect your right to tell me I shouldn't have it."

Well said.

........... but the card carrying NRA members that don't believe that a full auto or semi-auto is necessary are the real reason the gun control lobby has a voice at silencing our Constitutional rights!

Spot on...These are the worst types of people. They don't understand that if they let the pronoun people take away my rights because it doesn't affect them, they're just making it easier to take away theirs next. see: Smoking Bans

I give these guys an earful whenever they they start excreting out of their mouths:

"What do you hunt with that?"

"Two-legged game" or "Guns were not invented for hunting"