Robarm followers for .223 in AK-74 mags still around?

Hey there,

I'm German, so I am swimming in AK-74 mags (okay, not as good as it was, but still at about 12 EUR a piece)), but I cannot get the followers to work reliably in my Molot Vepr. Yes, I've read Dinzag's guide, but still... so I wonder if there is still a way to get some RobArm followers and have them shipped to Germany. Robinson Arms themselves do not offer them any more, as I found out by e-mailing them.

Bye,

Tierlieb

YOu'd need to put a WTB (want to buy) ad up on the various AK-centric websites.

Don't expect them to work very well, as the mag body is the wrong shape to reliably run with 5.56x45 cartridges.

You might also consider trading some AK74 mags from your abundant supply (everybody over here seems to want the East German bakelites) for some dedicated .223 AK magazines.

Hey there,

I'm German, so I am swimming in AK-74 mags (okay, not as good as it was, but still at about 12 EUR a piece)), but I cannot get the followers to work reliably in my Molot Vepr. Yes, I've read Dinzag's guide, but still... so I wonder if there is still a way to get some RobArm followers and have them shipped to Germany. Robinson Arms themselves do not offer them any more, as I found out by e-mailing them.

Bye,

Tierlieb

Tierlieb,

What caliber is your Vepr? If it is .223 then try using .223 AK Promag magazines. I have several of these and they fit my Vepr like they were made for it. I know Promag does not have a great reputation in rifles like AR-15's but they work 100% in Vepr rifles plus, they are inexpensive.

MidwayUSA- .223 promags

Edited by Ronswin
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My 223/556 VEPR K runs the converted E Ger 545 mags, Bulgy waffles, or the Polish Beryl mags. Beryls fit 'just right' but are $50ish when found here. Ger Weiger metal mags are too wide at the very front and will not fit the mag well.

The keys to the old RobArm 556 follower are that the rear of the follower is raised to try to change the stacking angle of the rounds, since the 556 round is much straighter than the heavy taper of the 545. Then you may need to file a wee bit under the front of the feed lips to raise the exit angle of the rounds if they happen to stub on the bottom of the chamber face upon feeding.

Others have taken a 545 follower out, filed the raised fake round down flatter, then epoxied on top of the roughed up surface (that now holds better) and built up the rear of the follower.

Buy a 545 mag, take out the follower, and hack it up until you get a decent feed. Do not worry about the first being a strong/reliable conversion. Once you get the shape and height at the back of the follower just right, you can make more :)

the pics should show the stepped rear enough to get you started, and mine did not need changes under the feed lips, only the follower

ps- raised area extends 1.7-1.7cm from the back towards the front, the height change is obvious from the pics

post-2720-088843100 1277744073_thumb.jpg

post-2720-065059400 1277744127_thumb.jpg

Edited by rs39

<snip> since the 556 round is much straighter than the heavy taper of the 545.

This can also cause cartridge bind in the mag body itself when .223 cartridges are used in a 5.45x39 magazine.

There are numerous .223 AK magazines available today that should work, as opposed to "back in the day" when the VEPR was imported.