I've been working to limit my caliber selections to .22, .223(5.56), 5.45x39, 7.62x39, .308(7.62), .30-06 and .50 BMG. "Common" calibers and I want to keep the gunsafe to those choices. In that regard, CDNN Sports had a Remington model 799 (mini-mauser) in 7.62x39 and I just picked it up from the gunshop this evening. Got it fitted out with a 40mm Leupold 3x9, tuned the trigger down to a creepless 2-3/4 lbs. and can't wait to get out and find out how it shoots Wolf military classic 124 gr HP! Photos attached.

DCP04843.jpg

DCP04842.jpg

Sweet Rifle! I always see those Rem-Mausers in the CDNN catalog and wondered what kind of quality they are. You'll have to update with some groups. Though I wouldn't expect miracles shooting Wolf factory ammo, do you reload?

The only thing I don't like (Can't stand) about the mauser action is the whole load-from-the-mag-only thing.

I see the word ZASTAVA on the receiver... very cool! :) That would have me believe it is a Remington "rebranded" Serbian manufactured rifle? Similar to what they do with the Remington "Spartan" shotguns made by Izhmash in Russia.

They make some pretty wild rifles and machine guns over at Zastava...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zastava_Arms

:smoke:

Yep, Zastava-Serbia on the barrel. The "mini-mauser" action is supposed to be the same as the Interarms Mark X, but it is laser engraved Remington.

Spent 9 hours on the range yesterday. Shot the new Remy, my Saiga 5.45x39, my new WASR, my SKS, my new Savage Mod 10 tactical, my new DPMS LR-308, the S&W 5.45x39 and even got to sight in my new Countersniper 8x40 scope on my Bluegrass Viper .50 BMG. Helluva day!

After sighting in the new scope on the 799, I tried to shoot it for groups, but the Wolf ammo will not hold a group attached are 4 3-shot groups at 50 yds and one 7-shot string at 100 yds, all sandbagged from the bench. I'll just have to buy some quality ammo and try again until I can get set up to punch out some reloads.

SAVE0014.jpg

SAVE0015.jpg

• Like 1

Not familiar with those targets, assuming center circle is 1"? I'm sure those will clean up nicely with some reloads, not sure there is "quality" x39....maybe TAP?

How do you like the M&P? I've got one on layaway, but it's gonna be a few months.

Shane

Not familiar with those targets, assuming center circle is 1"? I'm sure those will clean up nicely with some reloads, not sure there is "quality" x39....maybe TAP?

How do you like the M&P? I've got one on layaway, but it's gonna be a few months.

Shane

The rings on the 4" targets are on 1/2" radii, so the centers are 1", the big 8" target is 1" radii, so that's a 2" center.

I've got the following ammo order enroute:

Winchester Super-X Ammunition 7.62x39mm Russian 123 Grain Soft Point Box of 20 - 2 boxes

Lapua Ammunition 7.62x39 Russian 123 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 30 -1 box

Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics Ammunition 7.62x39mm Russian 123 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 20 = 2 boxes

DoubleTap Ammunition 7.62x39mm Russian 123 Grain Rifle Defense Box of 20 - 2 boxes

I also picked up a the local gun/pawn:

500 virgin unprimed Winchester brass

500 Winchester 123 gr FMJ bullets

I like the M&P a lot. It's a quality AR upper that shoots the 5.45x39 at least 50% more accurately than the Saiga or Bulgy build, but unfortunately is "ammo capability limited" just like the new Remy. the M&P came with one C-Mag black teflon 30 round mag and I bought three more. All have fed reliably and consistently. I've got a Rock River iron sight on the M&P and have yet to decide if I want to go scope or co-witness a red dot (I'd prefer the second).

Edited by blkgunlvr

I like the M&P a lot. It's a quality AR upper that shoots the 5.45x39 at least 50% more accurately than the Saiga or Bulgy build, but unfortunately is "ammo capability limited" just like the new Remy. the M&P came with one C-Mag black teflon 30 round mag and I bought three more. All have fed reliably and consistently. I've got a Rock River iron sight on the M&P and have yet to decide if I want to go scope or co-witness a red dot (I'd prefer the second).

That's good to hear. I mainly committed to it because I need a lower for my WSSM upper, and this was a great deal for the entire rifle. I never was interested in a 5.45 because I have a really nice AKS build (Bulgy). I know Hornady is now making TAP ammo in 5.45, but it's still in the steel case. But, if they're making 5.45 bullets, someone is bound to produce a brass-case variant with boxer primers.

I'd bet that the Lapua ammo will probably do best. i'm also guessing by the quantity ordered that it was the most expensive.

By the way, thanks to you and a guy at work talking up the Mauser action this last week, I went and did something stupid on GB. But I'll post it separately in this forum.... :rolleyes:

Nice rifle and scope. You made a good choice. The ammo is the problem of course. This rifle is a great example of what I am saying, it is a super solid and proven action with a quality scope, and yet with common AK ammo accuracy is only mediocre. And yes some folks here regale us constantly with tales of MOA AKs firing line ammo, and they wonder why I doubt them... 021.gif

As I said, it is a nice rifle and I have little doubt that you will get it tuned in, reloading is a big part the answer.

Does that rifle have the correct .311 barrel, or is it .308?

I haven't slugged it to confirm, but it's a Zastava barrel branded 7.62x39 and I'm assured it is .311. I had to spend last week in Tennessee and it's been windy and rainy since I got back, so I'm still waiting for a chance to run the "premium" ammo and test it for accuracy. I also bought 500 virgin Winchester brass and 500 Winchester 123 gr FMJ .311 bullets and will trying to cook up a good handload for it.

Does that rifle have the correct .311 barrel, or is it .308?

I haven't slugged it to confirm, but it's a Zastava barrel branded 7.62x39 and I'm assured it is .311. I had to spend last week in Tennessee and it's been windy and rainy since I got back, so I'm still waiting for a chance to run the "premium" ammo and test it for accuracy. I also bought 500 virgin Winchester brass and 500 Winchester 123 gr FMJ .311 bullets and will trying to cook up a good handload for it.

You might try some Wolf 154gn JSP. Great stuff and cut my groups to just over an inch at 100. I had a hell of a time getting my AIA bolt gun to run 122-125 grain stuff. Seems the AIA and CZ527 bolt guns like heavier bullets. For handloads, I've had great success with 24.5gns of RL7 under a Speer 150gn (.311) JSP in Lapua brass.

Macbeau sends...

post-1473-032812600 1276688221_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tips, macbeau - nice rifle!!

I just checked around and Midway has the 154 gr Wolf on sale at 500 for $130 so I have them on the way. I'll have to look at loading up some 150 grainers if your theory holds true and the heavier Wolfs shoot better than I've seen with the 123 grainers so far.

Edited by blkgunlvr

Thanks for the tips, macbeau - nice rifle!!

I just checked around and Midway has the 154 gr Wolf on sale at 500 for $130 so I have them on the way. I'll have to look at loading up some 150 grainers if your theory holds true and the heavier Wolfs shoot better than I've seen with the 123 grainers so far.

Da Nada...

For what it's worth - I've also tried 150 flat base, RN SP (.308 / .30-30 bullets), using the same powder charge and they shoot just fine out of my .311 bore, but the jacket is too thick and velocity too low (around 2200fps) to make these function reliably as SP's. Actually, these are the most accurate bullet out of my AIA, but, since I use it mostly for deer/pig hunting, I need the terminal performance too. The 154gn Wolf jacket was designed for x39 velocities and has a somewhat thinner jacket. It has wonderful expansion on deer-sized targets out to at least 100yds and runs 1.25"-1.5" +/- @ 100yds for me. It moves out at about 2100fps out of my 21" barrel.

The AIA I have was GIVEN to me by a guy who couldn't make it shoot using 122-125gn bullets and didn't want to saddle it on someone else, thinking it was a lemon.

I am suspicious that commercial, 7.62x39 bolt guns, for whatever reason, are using 1/11" to 1/12" twist barrels, as a general rule. Again, I have seen big improvements in accuracy using the heavier bullets in my rifle and the CZ527's.

Certainly makes sense, because I bought some pricey 7.62x39 stuff that didn't seem to tighten groups up at all - and they were all 123 grainers.

I hope you saved the brass!

Macbeau sends...