Tac47 Gas Plug Review

First off this review isn't a slam against any one else's gas plug or their design, just my personnel experience.

The Tac47 gas plug if you have not seen it is knurled on the end so adjustment is much easier and it doesn't tear up your hands when adjusting it, to me this is reason enough to get one. On a side note, just a little piece of advice that has worked for me, get some of the copper based anti-seize and put a dab on the gas plug threads. It makes taking the plug on and off a breeze and I have never had any plug seize up even after shooting up to a thousand rounds.

So I got the new Tac47 gas plug and to be honest I wasn't expecting much, the other plugs I have tried worked just fine and in my opinion gas plugs are more for fine tuning the gas being delivered to the bolt and in most cases they won't do much for a gun that is having cycling issues. Installation is a breeze and I really like the series of progressively larger dots on the front of the plug to designate the increase in gas flow.

Me and my buddy TX-Zen pull the shotties out and I reach into his ammo box only to find out that all he brought to shot was the dreaded Winchester Bulk pack in the white box. Fuuucck! I have never had any luck with Winchester in this particular S12 and even my ultra slick eats everything S12 has always had at least a few FTEs so I was really pissed that the WallyWorld we stopped at was all out of my beloved Federal bulk.

Well hell the gun is out and the ammo is free so load'em up. I set the plug on what would be -1 on the Gunfixers plug pull the trigger and not surprisingly the gun didn't cycle at all, I am not sure the bolt even moved. So dial the next bigger setting and get off about 6-7 rounds before another FTE, this is my typical experience with the Winchester. Dial in the next bigger setting which would be equivalent to the #2 setting on the Gunfixers plug. Dialed in from that point on and the S12 ran like a champ for the rest of the day, we were shooting clays, water moccasins, trash cans and anything else that entered the kill zone. Luckily a big Jack Rabbit was smart enough to stay on the right side of the fence, he was about 8 feet from being cooked up in a stew!

BTW I am in love with the 12 round Pro-Mag drum, hate to say it because most of the stuff for my AKs, ARs, or S12 has been crap and very problematic; but this little drum rocks. Great size and weight even for shooting clays. We also ran the new plug in TX-Zens S12, his gun needed a little more gas than mine so we dialed it up to it's biggest port size and his gun ran flawless.

If you are in the market for a gas plug I highly recommend giving the Tac47 plug a try: I will definitely put one in my other S12!

I have to second the Tac47 plug, I was pretty impressed actually. My S12 originally cycled high brass fine with the OEM plug but was iffy on any kind of low brass. Not really a big surprise considering how S12s are, but a long time ago I got the GunFixr plug and could then reliabily cycle most low brass. The one thing that killed my S12 was Winchester bulk pack...at best I could get 2-3 rounds off before an FTE.

I never really worried about it because it did fine with other kinds of ammo, but after trying the Tac47 plug today I could reliably cycle the bulk pack on setting 3. 8 round blazing mag dumps didn't slow it down and I actually had an ass load of fun wasting ammo...because shitty bulk pack is cheap! I'm pretty happy with the plug. Didn't really need it but it's rounded out my S12 nicely, now I feel like I can shoot any old crap without thinking about it.

Also I've had zero work done on the Saiga, it's never been polished or tuned in anyway other than having all the russkie parts added. The action is bone stock but obviously pretty well broken in.

Some pics

NinerRiderS12Air02.JPG

NinerRiderS12Air01.JPG

Tac47S12Air03.JPG

Z

I'll also mention that Niner smoked our asses when throwing clays...damn! I forgot to get a pic of his S12 but he's got HK sights that work really well for him. Add in his skill and he pretty much punked us out.

I'll never brag about my skeet shooting abilities because frankly I suck, but Tac47 is actually a pretty darn good shot (so is Raoul_Duke btw, even with an 8" Tromix shorty)...have to give the gold to Niner though.

Nice shooting!

Z

Damn I look old in those pictures, shit I guess I am. All credit for skeet shooting goes to the gun and the HK sights, believe me it is almost like cheating. After shooting TX-Zens sweet stick all of us came back down to earth and we got a reality check on out true skill level: it is just much easier to shoot a gun with HK sights end of story. The best day I have had at the range in a long time, great friends and a whole lot of trick guns. Man when TX-Zen started pulling out all his Russian hardware with true Russian issue scopes I felt like I brought a knife to a gun fight. The Dragunov was flat out beautiful and a hell of a lot fun to shoot, way more accurate than I am but really cool to look down the barrel of a piece of Russian history.

I have to second the Tac47 plug, I was pretty impressed actually. My S12 originally cycled high brass fine with the OEM plug but was iffy on any kind of low brass. Not really a big surprise considering how S12s are, but a long time ago I got the GunFixr plug and could then reliabily cycle most low brass. The one thing that killed my S12 was Winchester bulk pack...at best I could get 2-3 rounds off before an FTE.

I never really worried about it because it did fine with other kinds of ammo, but after trying the Tac47 plug today I could reliably cycle the bulk pack on setting 3. 8 round blazing mag dumps didn't slow it down and I actually had an ass load of fun wasting ammo...because shitty bulk pack is cheap! I'm pretty happy with the plug. Didn't really need it but it's rounded out my S12 nicely, now I feel like I can shoot any old crap without thinking about it.

Also I've had zero work done on the Saiga, it's never been polished or tuned in anyway other than having all the russkie parts added. The action is bone stock but obviously pretty well broken in.

Some pics

NinerRiderS12Air02.JPG

NinerRiderS12Air01.JPG

Tac47S12Air03.JPG

Z

Mag dumps, TX-Zen isn't kidding. He can flat out dump an 8 round mag in about 2-2.5 seconds and still hit what he was aiming at. I can't get anywhere near that fast and I have an SRT trigger in that gun.

What is the difference between the two, gunfixers and the tac47. Your talking about TAC 12 T.G.R.S PLUG. They look Identical to me. Just curious..

Well I don't know that much about the differences so I will let the guys from Tac47 address that, the only thing that Keith said when I got the plug was that some of the ports were bigger which allowed more gas to help with cycling. Don't quote me on that because to be honest I was more interested in the end result than how they got there. I really can't wait until we see the auto selecting gas plug, that will make life super easy.

DAMN IT!!! I could/should have gone yesterday! My "plans" for the day dissolved just before noon . . . :evil:

Looks y'all had fun though! :up:

Yeah, I thought Chris said you were going to join us, maybe next time. I saw where you guys got stuck in the mud last time, luckily it was bone dry out there and we were able to drive out to the 300 yard bus.

DAMN IT!!! I could/should have gone yesterday! My "plans" for the day dissolved just before noon . . . :evil:

Looks y'all had fun though! :up:

Yeah, I thought Chris said you were going to join us, maybe next time. I saw where you guys got stuck in the mud last time, luckily it was bone dry out there and we were able to drive out to the 300 yard bus.

I think I told him I would most likely be busy, but it was still up in the air. Sorry I missed it. I'd like to drive out to 300 sometime instead of carrying all the guns and gear through the mud as we've had to do lately! Good exercise, though . . . biggrin.gif

• 2 years later...