How far does your 5.45 spit?

WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES AROUND 74's FOR SURE!!! A buddy of mine's AK-74 will stick spent casings in the wooden ceiling of the range where we shoot. One of these casings could take an eye if your not careful! This is normal for 74's though, nothing wrong with your rifle. :smoke:

20-30 feet is totally normal. We were shooting a full auto AK47 last weekend and that gun would kick them out at least 40-50 feet in this beautiful arch of raining brass. Nothing is cooler than emptying a mag, dropping the mag and walking back to the shooting bench while the last few rounds are just hitting the ground.

Good to hear! I have never seen a semi auto throw cases like this. I am a little worried about this particular rifle because it has a U.S. made barrel. Don't want to say the manufacture just yet. To all those thinking about it buy a Saiga or Arsenal. You will have better peace of mind. I will keep ya'll up to date on this 74.

Yeah that's normal, and frankly I find it awesome! Was shooting at my dads house and the casings where hitting this old, junker nissan path finders windshield that sits in the backyard. put some cracks in it. :smoke:

It's also awesome because sometimes a casing will land on the hood and literally "break dance" for 20 seconds.

WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES AROUND 74's FOR SURE!!! A buddy of mine's AK-74 will stick spent casings in the wooden ceiling of the range where we shoot. One of these casings could take an eye if your not careful! This is normal for 74's though, nothing wrong with your rifle. :smoke:

So what your telling me is that if a bad guy comes at me from the side this is essential a multi directional weapon? LOL!

I've cracked a windshield with an AKM in 7.62x39! Sucks as it was a 59 Cadillac!

007.gif

It was a Coup De-ville

Two door w/ all the leg room of Texas in the front (zero leg room in the back)

I never did replace the windshield, as I Hit a Cottonwood tree on a gravel back country road late at night. Totaled it as tree was about 5 feet in diameter!

Rifle was an Egyptian Maddi before the ban. Sold the car for parts and the AKM for needed cash. Long gone!

028.gif

Edited by Fluid Power

Thanks for all the replies. L5K you guessed it. Lancaster Rough Rider. So far, it looks like got I a good one. Bought it from Atlantic Firearms(great people by the way). Still putting the rifle through the paces but so far its accurate and the recoil is light. Everyone says 30ft is normal so I am not worried about it. Shot the rifle out my bathroom window the first time, and the shell stuck in the window casing. Wife was pissed.

Anyway Lancaster is really trying to make good in my opinion. Called them, left a message, and they called right back. The first thing they said was, if I even felt the least worried or displeased with the rifle I should send it back for evaluation. My serial number is way out of the problem list so I opted to see how the rifle shoots another 200rds.

WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES AROUND 74's FOR SURE!!! A buddy of mine's AK-74 will stick spent casings in the wooden ceiling of the range where we shoot. One of these casings could take an eye if your not careful! This is normal for 74's though, nothing wrong with your rifle.[/size] :smoke:

the other day, my 223 saiga, exploded a lightbulb and ceramic fixture on the overhead ceiling at the local range.

Edited by GregM1

Have any of you guys taken the dust cover off and shot your 5.45s? It'll throw a good 20 foot high and 40 foot long arc. I was having trouble finding where my stuff was landing so I had my girlfriend shoot it while I watched the cases land. Then just for the hell of it, I took off the dust cover cause I noticed that the steel cases had a ding in them and figured it was contact with the cover. sure enough, when I took off the cover they flew 40+ feet and didn't have a ding in them anymore.

Edited by toshbar

Its not just loose tolerances that make an ak an ak. they are naturally over pressured weapons and designed that way for a reason. If your not pissing off the guy two benches over, something is wrong.

Lancaster has a over pressure issue on there barrels. B carefull

Its not just loose tolerances that make an ak an ak. they are naturally over pressured weapons and designed that way for a reason. If your not pissing off the guy two benches over, something is wrong.

Lancaster has a over pressure issue on there barrels. B carefull

FWIW, the tolerances are not loose, but the clearances. The parts are machined within certain tolerances, which are tight, but the high (for a gun) clearance between the parts is how the AK is so reliable.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

O.K. Where do I begin? I heard that if you put a piece of tape on the rear trunion, fire a few rounds, and see any signs of battering on the tape, then you can bet that you have an over gassed gun. Is this true? And if so is putting a heavier recoil spring in the weapon a possible solution to the problem?

Edited by redfish28
  • 2 weeks later...

O.K. Where do I begin? I heard that if you put a piece of tape on the rear trunion, fire a few rounds, and see any signs of battering on the tape, then you can bet that you have an over gassed gun. Is this true? And if so is putting a heavier recoil spring in the weapon a possible solution to the problem?

A heavier recoil spring will reduce the battering of the rear trunion, but will be putting that much more force into the breech/front trunion upon sliding forward and locking the bolt. Leave it, It's an AK.