Magpul MOE Grip..

Hey guys-

Just snagged some parts for my conversion..

I've got a Vltor tube, Magpul MOE Grip, MOE Stock and AFG coming, along with my Chaos quad rail..

I think all I need now is a fire control group and I'll be compliant, or at least it looks that way.. I'll need a trigger guard as well..

What I'm wondering is, what is needed to be done to be able to fit the Magpul AR grip to the gun - is the only way to do it to pick up one of these?

If so, what trigger guard works well with this unit?

Pretty much any of the trigger guards will work. Anything from a reshaped one that was already on there, to a regular AK trigger guard. I like the Ram-STG ones they sell at Carolina Shooter's Supply or just re-using the one that was on there pre conversion.

If you want to use the Magpul MOE grip, your best bet is probably this: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-375/Saiga-12-AR-Trigger/Detail kills two birds with one stone. It's a trigger guard and an AR grip nut.

I agree with Klassy. i wish jt's trigger guard nut thing came out a long time ago. I would have bought one for sure. Another thing you'll have to do to get the magpul MOE to work is you'll have to cut off that top piece of the backstrap and file it flush with the rest of the grip or at least flush to the bottom of the gun. Post pictures when you're done.

To fit the Magpul MOE to the rifle you'll need a dremel and some cut off wheels. You have to cut the rear upward pointing tang off flush, then mill out the grip where the nut goes through (if you don't have a pistol grip nut you'll need one of those as well), the Magpul has a second hole inside the grip that lines up perfectly for the AK grip nut for some odd reason, but hey that's lucky for us. Then you'll have to either cut the notch that the grip nut goes into lower inside the MOE, or you will have to grind and shape the nut from your AK to fit the grip as it is too long to go in without modifying one of the two. I ground the grip nut to shorten it. I don't have a better pic without dragging out the rifle and camera, but there's how it looks...

HPIM1300.jpg

I personally wouldn't use one of the adapters for an AR to AK grip because in my opinion they put the grip too far back and are uncomfortable. If you do go that route however, you will still need to trim down the rear "tang" on the Magpul grip.

I did mine a long time ago and love it. I plan on getting one in flat dark earth for my Saiga and attempting to dye it plum :D

Looks like I've got some thinkin' to do.. I like the adapter with the trigger guard, it looks pretty sweet and kills two birds with one stone..

I wish I knew someone who had one so I could shoot it and see if it was comfortable..

Thanks for the replies guys..

To fit the Magpul MOE to the rifle you'll need a dremel and some cut off wheels. You have to cut the rear upward pointing tang off flush, then mill out the grip where the nut goes through (if you don't have a pistol grip nut you'll need one of those as well), the Magpul has a second hole inside the grip that lines up perfectly for the AK grip nut for some odd reason, but hey that's lucky for us. Then you'll have to either cut the notch that the grip nut goes into lower inside the MOE, or you will have to grind and shape the nut from your AK to fit the grip as it is too long to go in without modifying one of the two. I ground the grip nut to shorten it. I don't have a better pic without dragging out the rifle and camera, but there's how it looks...

HPIM1300.jpg

I personally wouldn't use one of the adapters for an AR to AK grip because in my opinion they put the grip too far back and are uncomfortable. If you do go that route however, you will still need to trim down the rear "tang" on the Magpul grip.

I did mine a long time ago and love it. I plan on getting one in flat dark earth for my Saiga and attempting to dye it plum :D

Hey L5K, you made that safety yourself? I'm curious as to the size/dimensions of the plate you used? I am considering doing that to my safety lever sometime soon. Yours looks really well done.

Looks like I've got some thinkin' to do.. I like the adapter with the trigger guard, it looks pretty sweet and kills two birds with one stone..

I wish I knew someone who had one so I could shoot it and see if it was comfortable..

Thanks for the replies guys..

As far as comfort goes, you should really check out the Hogue Overmolded grip or the MD Arms Izhmash-copy grip. They are both very comfortable, especially the MD Arms one, I use it on both my rifles.

I am a big fan of the JT Enterprises trigger guard, it is billet and you can mount any AR PG including the MOE. I personelly like the Hogue mounted on the JP Enterprises, anything I can do to reduce felt recoil and promote comfort in shooting you can bet I will be all over it.

I have made two of those style safeties, that first one was made from screws and nuts, I don't remember what size though. The metal is just a thin piece of steel I had lying around. Then I laid it over the safety on the receiver and drew a line even with the stamped line on the original safety (for cosmetic reasons only) and also drew a line that was even with the bottom of the receiver when the safety is off. The first line I just used a grinder to trim the metal to line up with the safety, and the second line I put in a vise with the jaws even with the line and bent the piece to 90 degrees. I then just used a bench vise, clamped it down right on the line and bent it to 90 degrees. Then I used a dremel to cut the shelf. At this point the shelf still had corners... I drilled the holes in the safety and the new extension and mounted it with small screws and nuts on the backside. I got the nuts up into the stamped groove on the safety and used the dremel to trim them down really really thing to clear the receiver. Then green loc-tite and done for mounting it. Then I just used a grinder to shape the curves onto the finger shelf to make it have a lower profile and eliminate sharp edges.

The second one I did was a little easier to mount, but that's because I used a lathe to custom make some rivets for it. I made the piece in the same way, installed my tiny custom rivets and used the bench vise to mash them. I finished mashing them with a punch so that they would clear the receiver. I'll try to get pictures of it tomorrow, along with pictures of the backside of both the safeties.

Also, both of them I cold blued the steel after finishing and sprayed them with flat black Alumahyde II. You can tell that they are definitely not machine made perfect parts, but they look good enough for my purposes and well, are more fun to make by hand. Beats the hell out of dropping money on overpriced designs that I don't even like.

I have made two of those style safeties, that first one was made from screws and nuts, I don't remember what size though. The metal is just a thin piece of steel I had lying around. Then I laid it over the safety on the receiver and drew a line even with the stamped line on the original safety (for cosmetic reasons only) and also drew a line that was even with the bottom of the receiver when the safety is off. The first line I just used a grinder to trim the metal to line up with the safety, and the second line I put in a vise with the jaws even with the line and bent the piece to 90 degrees. I then just used a bench vise, clamped it down right on the line and bent it to 90 degrees. Then I used a dremel to cut the shelf. At this point the shelf still had corners... I drilled the holes in the safety and the new extension and mounted it with small screws and nuts on the backside. I got the nuts up into the stamped groove on the safety and used the dremel to trim them down really really thing to clear the receiver. Then green loc-tite and done for mounting it. Then I just used a grinder to shape the curves onto the finger shelf to make it have a lower profile and eliminate sharp edges.

The second one I did was a little easier to mount, but that's because I used a lathe to custom make some rivets for it. I made the piece in the same way, installed my tiny custom rivets and used the bench vise to mash them. I finished mashing them with a punch so that they would clear the receiver. I'll try to get pictures of it tomorrow, along with pictures of the backside of both the safeties.

Also, both of them I cold blued the steel after finishing and sprayed them with flat black Alumahyde II. You can tell that they are definitely not machine made perfect parts, but they look good enough for my purposes and well, are more fun to make by hand. Beats the hell out of dropping money on overpriced designs that I don't even like.

Awesome, thanks a lot for the info, and well said on the last paragraph. I'm going to give your method a try soon.