Gotta have a Krinkov in 5.45

Looks like a lot of fun! I haven't spent much time on a lathe since high school but I have always wanted a decent benchtop lathe for my shop. I am always looking on Craigslist and ebay but they seem to be overpriced or pieces of junk.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well just to give a little history, this is my first AK build and I must say it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. That said I did a lot of research and got help and guidance from Keith at T

How much did you pay for the Izzy kit if you dont mind me asking?

No worries, paid $450.00 like all the other guppies. Rguns has everyone by the balls if you want a matching numbers Tula or Izzy kit. Word is they have some 83 Izzys with laminate for sale they just a

Posted Images

Here's a few pics of the 6 Bulg. ( new ) barrels from Copes after I chopped and re- profiled them to Krink specs. I had to Knurl one of them as the Tula trunnion it was for was about .003 too big for the barrel .

1001643h.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1001644j.jpg

Next up are 2 E.German Virgin barrels and a Virgin Bulg. .223 barrel .

Cheers.................

• Like 2

Nice, so the Tula trunnions are a little bit bigger than the standard 74 trunnion. Good to know! Did this turn out to be a bigger project than you thought? It looks like a lot of work and it always seems that doing it the first time can be a huge learning curve.

No, they are all 22mm.. except the one which was .871 dia. It's just standard deviation in the tolerances. I built 5 M92 kits prior to this project and all had the same size trunnion and chamber dia. except one. It was .010 bigger than the rest and the trunnion was too, so the interference fit was still about .001, just .010 bigger than the rest.

As far as was it a bigger project than expected, I'd have to say yeah. Alot of measuring and laying out dimensions , making drawings, double checking and soforth, but I'm pretty used to all that. I just don't have to do it every day now that I'm retired..................... :beer:

im also interested in this topic. i came across a topic in another forum about cutting these barrels down and it was between a pretty high end builder and another guy just asking questions. so the builder said the accuracy isnt really effected by the twist rate. im sure the ruskies changed the twist rate for a reason though, but i bought a copes barrel just in case the Rguns barrels turn out to be the usual shitty "US 5.45"s.

Accuracy will be affected, period! Now if you only want to shoot close quarters it may not be a problem for you. My friends Bulgy is accurate out past 300yrds. Thats right a 5.45x39 8" barrel krink was hitting a 12" piece of steel all day long at 300yrds. I personally will not be happy unless mine has similar accuracy. Now if you can get a barrel that is a 1:7 twist rate that may be close enough to stabilize the bullet but a 1:8 ratio may be a bit slow for an 8" barrel.

ya, im guessing your right niner..... but id still like to hear if these cut down barrels can still achieve OK accuracy even though on paper they claim it wont.

actually i was curious as to where i found that info about my first post, so i dug it up and here it is if yall want to read it.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=68739

also im pretty interested in your services loner42. i hope youll be doing this for the next few months. im currently deployed to shitland for the next couple months so thats obviously in the way.

Edited by diescheize11

Yeah Will at Red Jacket pretty much said it on the the other post you are referencing. It will go bang and inside his shop range it hits paper but he has no real accuracy comparisons. I find that a lot of these guys don't worry about the details like accuracy or authenticity, they seem to be more interested in can I do it or can I sell once I do.

ya, im guessing your right niner..... but id still like to hear if these cut down barrels can still achieve OK accuracy even though on paper they claim it wont.

actually i was curious as to where i found that info about my first post, so i dug it up and here it is if yall want to read it.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=68739

also im pretty interested in your services loner42. i hope youll be doing this for the next few months. im currently deployed to shitland for the next couple months so thats obviously in the way.

I will more than likely still be doing it when you return. Stay safe and thanks for your service................

Chuck

USN 1960-1964

oh well, im still hoping for the best niner......

ya, everythings pretty quiet out here loner, we're an engineer bat. (im a const. equip. mech.) after all.

Oh believe me, I hope I am wrong and Loner's barrels or any 74 barrel can be cut down and continue to be accurate. RGuns barrels from Green Mountain have a lot of unanswered questions, like are they hammer forged, crome lined, and journals cut correctly for a krink. I am waiting like everyone else to see the accuracy results of these barrels.

ya, everythings pretty quiet out here loner, we're an engineer bat. (im a const. equip. mech.) after all.

Oh believe me, I hope I am wrong and Loner's barrels or any 74 barrel can be cut down and continue to be accurate. RGuns barrels from Green Mountain have a lot of unanswered questions, like are they hammer forged, crome lined, and journals cut correctly for a krink. I am waiting like everyone else to see the accuracy results of these barrels.

dude, i even emailed them along with rguns about the specifics on their barrels. Rguns never even replied, green mountain did reply but they sent me a pdf. file of their inventory (!?!). no answers, so yup, i guess we must play the waiting game.

dude, i even emailed them along with rguns about the specifics on their barrels. Rguns never even replied, green mountain did reply but they sent me a pdf. file of their inventory (!?!). no answers, so yup, i guess we must play the waiting game.

Yeah more than one person has wondered if Rguns is just floating this barrel story to sell krink kits. Loner's work looks great and being that the 5.45 is a light grain bullet the 1:8 barrel may be just fine for a krink application. I just hate to build a krink around a barrel thay I am unsure of. We should know something soon.

OK Guys, I just did an update of this service with a price restructure and expanded it a little .

Please go here , and PM me for complete list of work offered with prices and details if you think you might be interested

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=131494

Thanks, Chuck

Edited by loner42
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished up the first Virgin E.German barrel in Krink length today and thought you might like to see how it turned out.

On this one and one other I did the whole enchilada............. cut and profile barrel , cut new crown, drill new gas port , cut new HG ret. groove .........demill the entire kit and press out the stubs, reinstall and pin parts on new barrel, press barrel back into trunnion, headspace , drill and ream barrel pin hole, and then press the barrel back out.

Finish with the extractor cut..................

Enjoy................

1001683.jpg

1001685.jpg

1001687e.jpg

1001686g.jpg

1001681f.jpg

1001680z.jpg

1001679k.jpg

1001690v.jpg

1001689.jpg

1001688.jpg

Well, someone finally has finished a build and did give a somewhat range report, not in great detail but he seemed to be content with the accuracy for the distance and type of shooting he was doing. Hope you can view this if you are'nt registered there. This particular build was done with one of the six Bulg. barrels pictured in the above post. It starts in post #26

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68338

Here's some pics of the latest project barrel assembly just completed.

It started out as a Bulg. .223 Krink barrel assembly, but the parts were canted on the barrel and the owner wanted them removed and reinstalled on a 16" Virgin Weiger .223 barrel, barrel pressed into the trunnion and headspaced , barrel pin hole drilled and reamed, and then removed. He also requested that the muzzle threads on the Weiger be removed somehow but without cutting the barrel.

I decided to turn the threads off and reduce the dia. enough to press a sleeve of sufficient wall thickness on it and then turn the barrel back down to the proper size all the way back to the FSB/GB. Made the sleeve from a piece of cut off Bulg. barrel .

002euz.jpg

004wrl.jpg

After sleeve was pressed onto barrel.............and the orig. Bulgy barrel and cut off barrel for sleeve donor

008qli.jpg

007qk.jpg

009gd.jpg

Orig. Bulgy 223 barrel next to the Weiger barrel. Turning down the sleeve and barrel back to FSB/GB journal.

010jv.jpg

011il.jpg

012qk.jpg

013oi.jpg

014xa.jpg

The finished profile and the re-assembled barrel after headspacing and removal.

002ezk.jpg

003us.jpg

006rl.jpg

007cyp.jpg

005oh.jpg

006zt.jpg

007iw.jpg

004xu.jpg

009bp.jpg

001sau.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pics of the latest " chop jobs "................

The 3 US barrels from Arms of America that were referenced in the 5.45 barrel alert thread and 3 Virgin E.German barrels that I reprofiled for Bob in Iowa.

009pp.jpg

008ooh.jpg

006uf.jpg

And this one was the " Whole Enchilada " for NineRider , done from an E.German Virgin. These were all shipped today......................Hope you guys enjoy them.

011ze.jpg

013foy.jpg

012ijm.jpg

Edited by loner42