AK magazine conversion only is legal! :-D

922r uncomliant is not illegal to own but if the weapon itself is easily viewed as uncompliant then the LEO could potentially confiscate the gun and hold it for further careful examination.

Next time you see a cop walk up and ask "what is 922r compliance?"..... I guarantee you most will not know what you are talking about...

I'm not saying that most cops know about it. But if the local LEOs contact the ATF like happened to someone on another board because of a maintenance worker that reported this other guy's

AK's seen in the livingroom then be prepared to deal with it. And if you ever were forced to use your AK platform rifle to defend yourself, it would look real bad if you did end up in court

with some civil trial lawyer screaming before a jury that you were harboring an illegal weapon. You and I know its not illegal to own but what exactly is your lawyer going to rebut that statement with "No its not illegal its just been modified in a non-legal way." Anyway you look at it, its a liability even if your unlikely to end up in prison for it.

If you purchase a illegal weapon then it is legal, if you do this I'd suggest you always have a copy of 1) your receipt with the entire description with all of the parts listed and 2) a copy of this ATF letter....

Lastly, I still disagree 100% an illegally modified weapon is not going to sit well with the same person you would need to worried enough to keep a receipt and a copy of an ATF letter. If you are worried enough to keep a receipt, then don't think for a second that the same agent would not take the gun if its uncompliant. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Edited by my762buzz

We had a guy come out here and just would not listen to anybody. Guy was a real asshole.

We got through the hunt....and walking back (1 or 2 in the morning)....we see a coral snake crawling across the trail in the light ahead....we all give it a wide berth and this dipshit goes over (with all of us yelling at him) and picks it up.

Of course it bites him 4 or 5 times. He lost three fingers and damn near died....he was smarter than everybody else and was telling us it was a King Snake. No dumbshit that is a fucking Coral Snake. He wouldn't listen.

As for the compliance of going over 10 rounds and 922r.....everybody here is yelling at you friend.....

Edited by The Sarge

922r uncomliant is not illegal to own but if the weapon itself is easily viewed as uncompliant then the LEO could potentially confiscate the gun and hold it for further careful examination.

Next time you see a cop walk up and ask "what is 922r compliance?"..... I guarantee you most will not know what you are talking about...

How may does it take to seize your firearm as contraband? What if it is already at the station and it was taken from you and the original charges have been dropped, what are the odds that one there will know about 922R. What if they call the BATF and ask them about the legality of your "conversion."

Your advice in this matter is weak. I am not in favor of 922R, I am also not in favor of fellow gun owners getting in trouble over something so stupid.

Edited by Azrial
  • 3 months later...

Possession as you say is not illegal. Assembly is. Many Saigas have been sold throughout the years since they were first imported in the early 1990s that were modified to accept high capacity magazines. Many Saigas were resold with mags that were modified to feed. Just like the Mak-90s (until 1994), Maadis, and SA85Ms were imported until 1996-1998 with the ability to accept high capacity magazines with no modification, there was no law to prohibit the end user from operating these rifles with high capacity magazines as long as no other modification were made that triggered 922®.

When B-West/Jensens gun shop first imported Saigas in Tucson they would tell buyers at the store how easy it was to get them to work with regular AK mags.

As I say? No, as ATF says!!! Big difference, click on the PDF file I posted the entire letter is their... Mak 90's are not C&R so you can put any hi-cap mag on it and remain legal, Saiga's are only imported in a hunting style configuration and are not C&R's so any alterations to them would be illegal, unless you purchased it that way, even then I'd be careful, even thought in the letter that I posted states that the burden of proof lays on ATF and we all know how well the Gov agencies follow the law....

I did not understand what your point was on the Maadis or SA85M's, when these where done 922r probably did not exist, I can not remember when it came into affect I think it was in 1996 in the Clinton era.... If this is the case then there was no 922r....

922® took effect in 1989 concerning AK style rifles, the rifles were imported with 5 to 10 round mags. There was no prohibition in using hicap magazines inserted into a rifle until EO took effect in 1998. MAK-90s, Maadis, SA85Ms and such were imported from 1989 until 1998 (1994 for the Chinese rifles). There was no regulation or ban on using hicaps in those rifles as imported and no law effects them retroactively. Some Chinese rifles had a rivet that prevented regular mags from being inserted. Saigas were also from the early 1990's until the magazine restrictions took effect in 1998. Some of the Saigas imported during this time period prior to 1998 were modified to accept and feed high cap mags prior to the 1998 restrictions.