Hey guys,

i took my 7.62 to the range for the first time yesterday. put about 80 rounds through the gun, and so far so good. i was wondering how everyone else cleans their gun especially the gas block. i cleaned and oiled everything i could reach(piston, bolt, bolt carrier, barrel). Could not cleaning the gas block cause problems and what is the best way to clean it?

Thanks

Hey guys,

i took my 7.62 to the range for the first time yesterday. put about 80 rounds through the gun, and so far so good. i was wondering how everyone else cleans their gun especially the gas block. i cleaned and oiled everything i could reach(piston, bolt, bolt carrier, barrel). Could not cleaning the gas block cause problems and what is the best way to clean it?

Thanks

I use a 20ga shoot gun cotton bore swab. soaked in Breakfree CLP. I don't remove the gas tube, just clean it installed. It does not require a lot of cleaning. :killer:

It's good to clean what you can when you can, but don't sweat the details too much. I clean/oil mine after every range trip, you may as well take good care of the thing. But really, unless you're shooting corrosive ammo, these rifles can go thousands and thousands of rounds without ever being cleaned.

It's good to clean what you can when you can, but don't sweat the details too much. I clean/oil mine after every range trip, you may as well take good care of the thing. But really, unless you're shooting corrosive ammo, these rifles can go thousands and thousands of rounds without ever being cleaned.

It is an AK after all! I usually just run a bore snake down the pipe and clean that pretty good and then wipe everything down with CLP and patches.

It is an AK after all! I usually just run a bore snake down the pipe and clean that pretty good and then wipe everything down with CLP and patches.

Same here. Old dishrag, CLP and a bore snake for me :)

On the 5.45 I shoot corrosive so I do the water spray first then the same as above.

And if you are shooting corrosive i find amonia based windex or however it spelled with a brush works for the gas tube.

when I clean an AK on thing I don't do is use a bunch of oil in the gas system, and I try to get everything I can in the gas system as dry as I can when Im done. All that oil will be burnt up and leave some nasty deposits behind in the long run.

when I clean an AK on thing I don't do is use a bunch of oil in the gas system, and I try to get everything I can in the gas system as dry as I can when Im done. All that oil will be burnt up and leave some nasty deposits behind in the long run.

I do pretty much the same. I just put some oil (couple drops) on a cloth and wipe the piston. More oil is in the cleaning patch than on the piston. The cheap russian ammo I have really burns dirty and I can see how it could easily leave deposits in there.

12 gauge brushes and bore snakes work great on the gas tube and block. I usually just take off the gas tube, run a bore snake through it a few times and then put a patch on top of a plastic 12 gauge brush, shove it into the gas bloke, rotate it in there and repeat with a clean patch until it's relatively clean. I then blow some compressed air into the gas block and out the barrel. Once in a while, I will use Hoppe's, but I never lube the gas system.