receiver block or weld on plate

I am about to do the PG conversion to my Saiga 7.62x39. A buddy of mine who has done several of them told me that if I want a side folding skeleton stock that I would have to weld on the back plate to do so. I am an aspiring welder but I still am unsure if chopping and welding on my new saiga is what I want to do.

I see there are internal receiver blocks from CSS and tac47 that seem like I could get around the plate and would slide in like the original stock minus some tang removal. Is there some reason this would be a bad choice? The only down side I can see is that it might extend the length a hair vs. the plate.

i used the internal block that has the holes to put srews through the origional rivet holes that held in stock trigger, looks good on gun and gets rid of the holes, but need to put some lock tite on it cause after shooting about 100 goose loads this weekend i noticed they had came extremely loose. only problem other than that is that it is kinda hard to put pg nut in, cobra said that he notches the ones he used to that the pg nut fits.

If you know how to weld, it doesn't seem like it would be very difficult. I imagine that you'd cut/grind off the tang, which you'll have to do with an internal receiver block anyhow, and then weld the plate on. I don't know if this is how it works, I guess you could also remove the entire rear trunnion.

I use an ACE internal block on my S12. It works pretty well, but there are better options available now, as mentioned above. You have to file the ACE unit to fit, and it's only secured with one bolt.

The internal receiver block types work pretty good if you get the one with holes to put screws through the receiver. Me having a S308, had to drill holes as those two (the reason why a 308 is the easiest to convert... fuckers...) are absent on the S308. If you aren't that great at welding, go with the internal block method, just make sure you get the one with pre-tapped holes that line up with the two holes left after conversion. From experience, if you just go the route of the single vertical bolt/nut, you stock will work its way loose after not too many shots and you will be left with an AK pistol, that you have to promptly rip into pieces unless you have a pistol permit and a manufactures license of some sort...

Well it sounds like the internal receiver is an ok option, just get the one with side holes and use loc-tite. I have only been welding for about a year so I guess if I am not happy with it, I could always go back and weld on the piece after I am totally confidant in my welding skills. I think I could do it now but I have also turned other welding projects into some sort of melted abstract art.

• 1 year later...

Well it sounds like the internal receiver is an ok option, just get the one with side holes and use loc-tite. I have only been welding for about a year so I guess if I am not happy with it, I could always go back and weld on the piece after I am totally confidant in my welding skills. I think I could do it now but I have also turned other welding projects into some sort of melted abstract art.

Pay someone 30 dollars to do it for you it is worth it the block with lock tite will still loosin up when you go shooting bring an allen wrench Edited by fishwithagun