hi guys, im looking into another revolver to carry while deer hunting, maybe even small game hunting, all i have as of yet is a 44 cal black powder revolver which i love shooting. im going to get my CCW this summer just to make it easier to transport and carry my gun in the field (ill be able to keep it out of the weather inside my coat)

in michigan all we have to do is take a weekend course and not have any felonies,serious criminal record or mental conditions, and you get your concealed permit. but.......once you have it if you get 3 misdemeanor infractions uncluding vehicle infractions (ie..failer to dim your headlights while driving) on your record they revoke youre permit. easy to get hard to keep

im looking for recomendations, i DONT want a .357 or a 38, and for hunting it has to be at least 35 cal as per the law or i would go with the 22mag or 17hmr. i DO want a revolver, preferable single action. i plan to be able to shoot 20-30+ yards with this gun (hopefully) , leaning towards a 44-40 or a 45LC any other suggestions? i dont wanna get too crazy like a .454 casaul or something either, well...maybe if it was in the budget :rolleyes:

"its not how many times ya shoot, its where ya hit your target"

Eric

michigan

another problem with the larger calibers is we cant use a bottle neck cartridge.

ive pretty much settled on the 44-40 slight but not visible bottle neck, i shot a buncha rounds thru a 9mm beretta today and i really dont like the way an auto dances around in your hand. plus i can see my gloves gettin cought in the slide as it flys back over my wrist to eject the shell. dat would suck,

bigger isnt better to me, i been deer hunting (before my siaga) with a springfield model 67 pump .410 killed two deer this year with it without a problem. i have other shotguns but i prefer my 410, the buck was on the run and i shot 4 times and put 2 in his chest and one in the kneck ranging from 30-50 yards i missed once but he was really haulin. the doe was a 50 yard shot and she fell right where i shot her. the problem im havin is dogs\coyotes on the property that shouldnt be there. i wish i could carry a .22 to pick them fruckers off quietly and keep huntin.

the dnr planted the coyotes when they planted turkey cuz they claimed there was no predator for the turkeys and they didnt want them to go nuts. HELLO!!!! hi lemme introduce myself im a predetor, ill hunt anything if you open the season. we dont even have a closed season on coyotes here, you can shoot them year round. wtf was the reason to plant them besides they run deer? damn dnr tryin to outthink ma nature.

damn im rantin again sorru guys way offa topic LOL

the rules for deer season are, no bottle neck cartridges,no rimfire cartridges,and must be larger than 35 cal

during deer season the dnr will sit at your vehicle and wait for you to come out of the woods on state/federal land. and check you out. ive even ran into them wandering private property during deer season(stupid a$$es) while we were sitting in blinds. they can go wherever they want whenever they want.

2 days before deer season this year they showed up at my father in laws place, said they had a report from the poaching hotline(which was false), and searched his house,freezer,checked his fingernails for blood,and made him take them out to his blind to look for a gut pile, they found nothing. they can go anywhere they want, search anyone they want, WITHOUT a warrant. DNR has more power than the police do when it comes to anything they can claim to be "game" or "hunting" related. we had a guy get busted the mile over from us with to much bait out in the middle of his 80 acres. big pile of suger beets. they did a flyover in a plane checkin the county and cought it. he got a big fine and spent a day shoveling beets back into a pickup LOL were allowed a 5 gallon bucket of feed broadcast over a 10ft area

i dont want any problems with these nazis um i mean officers, so i stay within the regulations

i wasnt aware of that. im not a deer hunter, i usually hunt hogs, and its good to have a small pistol with you to put them out of their misery if they arent dead yet. its good for squirrells and rabbits to

Edited by chips
  • 2 months later...

Ahoy from your neighboring state Bone.

I'm over here in Wisconsin and first off, let me say that I envy the fact that you can even get a CCW license. Now then, on to the topic at hand.

I need to know, why don't you want a .357 mag or .38 special? Granted, I wouldn't hunt with a .38 Special but still... if you're going for a revolver, a .357 mag would have been my first choice. Personally, I'm an autoloader shooter. When I hunt with pistols, I do so with a 1911 variant. I've only been doing so two years with it but both years, I've brought home deer. The first, year, it took one shot behind the shoulders at 25 or so yards then another shot afterwards to finish it off (after tracking). The second year, it took 3 shots, two to the body and a fnishing shot once I found it again (more tracking). My father uses a .44 Magnum now and then and he's brought down 5 deer in the past 5 years, 3 of which were one shot kills.

I'm not a hunter, but a revolver in 357 or 44 seems like it'd do the job well, but I can't imagine someone shooting a 1911 45cal at a deer. Do you use a long slide with some sort of scope or just a standard single stack military knock off with iron sights?

If you must have a single action revolver, why not a .44 Magnum? I believe that to satisfy all of your requirements... I have a Ruger Vaquero chambered in .44 Magnum that I used to use for Cowboy Action Shooting... it is pretty accurate up to 30 yards or so... They are cheap as well... but for hunting, I would probably replace the grip.

I know a couple of people that have taken Elk down with Glock model 20 (10 mm ) pistols. Glock even makes a 6 inch hunting barrel for the Glock model 20...

I have always thought I might want to try unting with a Glock! :super:

Edited by Wicked96SS
Do you use a long slide with some sort of scope or just a standard single stack military knock off with iron sights?

I use a standard slide with a Firedragon 6" ported barrel. My Kimber (the one I use for hunting and personal protection at home) has adjustable iron sights. It's sighted in for 30 yards by the guys at my favorite gun shop. I use Federal's HydraShok loads for both hunting and defense. I don't have a scope... yet. I was thinking about getting one for hunting and might do so. I figure though if I keep my targets within 25 yards, I shouldn't need a scope... and I wouldn't trust the pistol beyond 30 yards (even if they gurus at the shop tell me it's effective out to 50 yards).

Btw, all of my 1911 variants are single stack. I know Auto Ordinance (Thompson) used to make a variant that took double stack mags and I'm sure others do too but I just stuck to the single stack... and carry two mags with me aside from what's in my pistol. It's what the boys in WWII carried and I figured I'd do so too. The only difference is that I'm shooting at targets that don't shoot back lol. That would be a trip eh? Deer that shoot back. :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

go for the .500S&W :), i dont deerhunt with pistols or shotguns at all here cause 90% of the shots ive had were over 250yard so i use my .25/06, as for u saying ud use a 17 or 22 to deerhunt if u could HAHAHAHAHA that would be a long ass chase, ive hit deer at 400 yards with a 300 weatherby mag damn near gutting it and it still ran, IMO a .357 is still too small

or maybe our Pennsylvanian deer are just tougher than urs :D

Edited by shotgun_lobotomy

My choice for deer is a 10mm. Its got a little bit more punch than a .357 and the fact that it is an automatic makes it even better. Anything within 40 yards probably won't make it through the day. KIMBER KIMBER KIMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!

My preferance would a 1911,but .45 long colt would make a good wheelgun choice.

It can do the job up to moose or bear at close range, and with reduced loads should make a NICE 'hush puppy'. Also as this is REAL close to .410 it does have some INTERESTING possibilities.

G O B

There is always the option of the new Taurus revolvers that are chambered in .45 ACP. I am pretty sure its Taurus that is the one making them ? I read a couple of articles on them a ways back and they look pretty good. I understand why you would want to carry a revolver in the woods....its not going to fail you if you need it.

after shooting a bunch of rounds im settling on a 44-40, lovin this round, my uncle loads them by the thousand and it packs a pretty good wallop. the gun is a dakota model replica single action revolver. i will get my grandfathers 38-40 revolver and model 94 38-40 lever action rifle when he passes also but the 38-40 pistol cartridgehas a noticeable bottle neck thus not legal to deer hunt with in michigan

??? You can't hunt deer with a bottle neck cartridge in Michigan?? Please explain that. I'm baffled. Hmm..shotgun only? If you say..rifle but just not a bottleneck cartridge..I'm gonna scream! Lets un-invent the wheel and all just use slingshots! I get the one that uses the band material that shoots the higher bc effient slingshot ammo!

There is something unAmerican about a state that wouldn't allow an old fashion-blackpowder round(maybe even the round in the rifle that won the west) for alittle deer hunting!

(Ned steps down from the soap box to go kiss his Henry rifle and his pair of six-guns chambered in 44-40) :wub:

Ok- just read the whole thread..got an extra .2 to add. If you like the single action..I hafta put in a vote for the 45 colt. You can load it way up or way down and if you don't reload..there are many different brands and bullet weights/power levels available from factory ammo. The same can be true of the 44 but usually at a higher price. The 44-40 can be very picky to obtain great accuracy due to improper throating of cylinders...atleast a few years ago. If you want a real banger in a single action..I'd go with the 44mag in a Bisley grip. Magnum loads are straight forward and 44Mag downloads and/or 44 special loads will get you into the softball loads. Just another .2- hollar back when you choose and get out there shooting. "Don't shoot your foot!"

the "no bottle neck" rule applies to pistol cartridges only. north of M-46 we can use rifles in any calibre down to .25(no .223) for deer hunting. south of highway M-46 is shotgun only.

the handgun minimum for deer hunting anywhere in the state is .35 cal with no bottle neck cartridges

Edited by bone