Should I replace my Mossy 500?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The people with the real big issues got guns that were made with undersized ports. The next issues have to do with American mags. There are ways to fix all those too, or just buy Russian mags. AGP is

I'm an electrician in West Texas...   Good call on the Mall Cop thing though, actually I can't remember the last time I was in a mall...   You know what? You ARE special, now wipe the drool from

I wouldnt suggest getting rid of any gun, Im a big fan of keeping and buying more.   I would suggest if the Mossy is still under warranty getting in touch with Mossberg and get them to take a look

I'm not sure about how HD cases are handled in your area but here in CA is is a good idea to keep your HD weapon as boring looking as possible.

I use a 590 for HD, and I replaced the pistol grip with a traditional stock just to make it more boring looking.

If you use a Saiga-12 as HD then use a non-converted one.

I'm not sure about how HD cases are handled in your area but here in CA is is a good idea to keep your HD weapon as boring looking as possible.

I use a 590 for HD, and I replaced the pistol grip with a traditional stock just to make it more boring looking.

If you use a Saiga-12 as HD then use a non-converted one.

I was wondering when someone would come to this conclusion. If you did use a converted S12 with a big detactable mag in a HD scenario,

a highly paid lawyer would try to make you and your gun look as evil as possible and that you were just hoping and waiting for a break in to get

a chance to use your 12g AK 47.

Stick with your mossy or get a remmy 870 for HD and use the saiga for the range or when Z day comes or shtf.

My 500 still is set up for HD, but just hidden in a different part of the house. I've been trying out some Centurion 2" buck shot in it, and they cycle perfectly. You only get 6 00 buck pellets instead of 9, but you get 7 in the mag instead of 5, so it's a trade off.

Um, is that muzzle device welded on? Answer carefully...

Naw, Corbin regularly comes on here and admits and gives evidence to violating multiple federal, and state regulations...

I love how you built suspense in this too, its really easy to do! Just like this...

Who you work for? Answer carefully...

Nope.....it's machined as part of the barrel, then bored back a ways. That's how Mossberg manufactures them. Careful enough? :haha:

Edited by Corbin

I'll try the 25 cycles of full to empty before making any decisions. As far as the difference in looking "evil".. there are a lot of SWAT-looking shotguns out there, including the "tactical" Mossberg 500's that are just as scary as a SAIGA.

My naive 24 year old friend (male) saw pictures of unmodified glock and H&K handguns, and he asked me.. "Those are scary! Are those even legal to own!?" I couldn't believe anyone found a handgun to be that scary, but perhaps I just see it as a mechanical tool. He didn't immediately associate the black polymer AK-100 series as a "terrorist weapon" like he did with the wooden furniture AK-47 either.

Anyway, I think the "scary-looking gun" argument is a moot point in gun-friendly states (i.e. not california). It seems like one of those "order, order in the court" arguments. :)

I just noticed something else important. It looks like Mossberg doesn't even manufacture the 500A I own anymore. I see 20" barrels with 8 shot capacities and 18.5" barrels with 6 shot capacities.

I am almost certain mine is an 18.5" with a 7 shot capacity from the early-mid 2000s, and I don't see it for sell anymore.

Edited by Kilryth

It's a known fact that on certain models, the factory Mossberg springs suck. That might be the cause of the problem. Get a pack of Wolff Xtra Power springs and swab out the inside of the tube before replacing. I got a 3-pack of the XP springs for my 500A 20" for something like 25 bucks, shipped.

It's a known fact that on certain models, the factory Mossberg springs suck. That might be the cause of the problem. Get a pack of Wolff Xtra Power springs and swab out the inside of the tube before replacing. I got a 3-pack of the XP springs for my 500A 20" for something like 25 bucks, shipped.

Thank you, merc! I wasn't able to find any aftermarket springs/followers when I looked before. I had forgotten about Wolf's power springs (somehow!). I will make sure to try this if I don't sell it for other reasons.

My 500 still is set up for HD, but just hidden in a different part of the house. I've been trying out some Centurion 2" buck shot in it, and they cycle perfectly. You only get 6 00 buck pellets instead of 9, but you get 7 in the mag instead of 5, so it's a trade off.

Naw, Corbin regularly comes on here and admits and gives evidence to violating multiple federal, and state regulations...

I love how you built suspense in this too, its really easy to do! Just like this...

Who you work for? Answer carefully...

Hey, sometimes people slip up, sometimes they misinterpret the law or are just plain ignorant to it.

I like suspense.

And I'm able to tell you who I work for now, but when I take the new job, with the security clearance, I won't be...

Edited by Caged

Well, I figured out what was locking up my Mossberg's follower. I had a UTG tri-rail bolted down onto the magazine tube firmly. I was unbolting it to remove the magazine tube, and the follower sprung forward once I began loosening the UTG rail. I tightened it only slightly this time, and the magazine functions flawlessly now!

The balance on it for one handed/shoulder holding (while reloading) still sucks compared to the SAIGA 12 though. I'm going to have to do some more thinking when it comes to the shotgun.

And I'm able to tell you who I work for now, but when I take the new job, with the security clearance, I won't be...

The trash collectors at nuke sub sites have a security clearance. :rolleyes:

Its true! I go back to work at Fitspatrick NPS on monday.

Anything dealing with Nukes has to have background checks, and psyche evaluations.

How I manage to pass i'll leave to your imagination.

NO NO No! Do NOT replace the Mossberg as it is already paid for and you may not be able to replace your new Saiga as soon as you'd like. What ever gun you are forced to use will probably be seized as evidence.

I've spoken with someone who fired their gun in defense. The pistol was confiscated as evidence. He went to buy a replacement piece only to find out he was now on a do not sell to list. Took a long time, post court, and letters to his representative to remove his name from the list.

Keep the Mossberg you may need it as a backup.

Assuming by home defense you are talking about a reasonable size house or plot, and not a 500 acre ranch then here are my comments on replacing your Mossberg:

When it comes to home dfense the first rule is reliability (especially for the first shot), things like stopping power, rate of fire, accuracy, size and ease of use are secondary. A .22 bolt-action single shot rifle that goes bang is a better then a tommy gun that doesn't. So with that in mind I would get rid of the Mossberg unless you can't afford a different second or you want to just keep it as a plinker. Note I did exactly that - replaced my 19" Mossberg 500 with a S-12 because of feeding problems. If you can't afford something better your pistol (if it works) is pobably better suited as your #1 HD weapon.

As with what other people said it never hurts to be prepared and have some spare HD weapons, of course this is budget driven. I have two primary HD weapons "in current use" a .357 S&W I keep loaded in a mini-safe under my bed and the Saiga-12 I keep in the safe in the closet with a 10-round mag near by. If one or both of these were confiscated I have many others to fall back on which would be servicable (if not ideal) in HD roles. I would load one of the long guns and one of the pistols in a setup similar to what I have now and still have a very capable HD setup.

Long guns:

M1 Carbine

SKS

M1 Garand

Mossberg 500 5 shot long barrel (this one is 100% reliable)

AH Fox 12-guage side by side

Huglu 20-guage over/under

Romanian PSL

Remington 743 30-06

Pistols:

Sig p229 .40

Firestar 1911

Rossi .38 special snub nose

Colt .22 Huntsman

That is not a comprehensive list of the guns I have but it is what I would first consider using for home defense in rough order if some of my guns were confiscated. Note if it came to using those on the bottom of this list I would be looking to buy a better replacement, but if I couldn't I would still have something credible and reliable.

Edited by auburn2

The S-12 can be extremely dependable, but it's a crap-shoot.

However, EVERY S-12 can be made to be extremely dependable.

Pretty sums it up nicely.

I wouldnt suggest getting rid of any gun, Im a big fan of keeping and buying more. :super:

My thoughts exactly.

Besides, how much are you going to get for your Mossy pump? Not a ton. Might as well keep it and save up for the S12. That's my opinion, anyway.

Damn, I was just joking...

You guys sure do think you're special... :rolleyes:

Not at all. But you sure do suck at telling jokes.

I didn't tell a joke, I was joking around, there is a difference.

Oh wait, I'm explaining something to a Marine, does anyone have any crayons?

After looking at SAIGA 12s more this weekend, I decided to hold off on the shotgun for now. Like one of the earlier posters said, "You'll likely find it more expensive to finish anyway.. might as well keep the mossberg for now." Which is a good point. I'm just going to wait on buying anything for now.

Anyone else notice that some gun show vendors don't want you testing the function of their items for sell? Really annoying... it's like trying to sell a car without allowing a test drive. Speaking of which, a certain Honda dealer wouldn't allow test drives on the Honda S2000... she compared them to corvettes.... wow. That explains why no one bought them! :)

I know your security detail job at a major retail installation is a lot more demanding (mentally). I could only hope to reach that level of situational awareness some day....

I know your security detail job at a major retail installation is a lot more demanding (mentally). I could only hope to reach that level of situational awareness some day....

I'm an electrician in West Texas...

Good call on the Mall Cop thing though, actually I can't remember the last time I was in a mall...

You know what? You ARE special, now wipe the drool from your lip and tighten up your helmet.

I bet you beat-off while watching "Heartbreak Ridge." :lolol:

I'm an electrician in West Texas...

Good call on the Mall Cop thing though, actually I can't remember the last time I was in a mall...

You know what? You ARE special, now wipe the drool from your lip and tighten up your helmet.

I bet you beat-off while watching "Heartbreak Ridge." :lolol:

No, you're a pathetic keyboard badass. BTW, you wouldn't believe how many Marines are on this board. Best of luck getting help from them in the future.

And you can go ahead and reply, but you just made number 3 on my ignore list so I'm not gonna see it.