Ok I have worked pretty hard for the last 8 months and am finally going to reward myself with a little C&R indulgence. I can only spend $240 (excluding shipping) so I can only get one. Which should I get? Please provide your rationale. This has been the toughest choice in firearm purchasing I've had awhile. Thanks in advance.

1.) Makarov (CZ-82)

2.) Tokarev TT-33 (Romanian or Polish) Russian models are too $$$.

3.) Other pistol for $240.

In my opinion you should decide which caliber first.

For 9x18 I would get a Bulgarian Makarov, although the CZ82 is a very fine little pistol as well.

For 7.62x25 I'd opt for a CZ52 over a TT33. (this is mostly because I have heard that some TT33's can fall apart with the wrong ammo)

If you can get your hands on the self cocking holster, the Makarov is a no brainer. I have a Yugo Tokarev, and mags are non-existent. The TT-33 has lots of mags/parts available. The Cz52 is supposed to be more rugged than the TT-33's.

Personally, I'm a big fan of 7.62 x 25. Cheap, plentiful, fast, and powerful.

Tokarev!

7.62x25 is a badass cartridge. 7.62x25 is dirt cheap.

I've never had any luck with Makarovs. My p-64 liked to switch itself on to safe after the first round or two, and CZ-82s are the wrong shape for my hand and really kick the shit out of the webbing between thumb and forefinger. That's my personal experience, plenty of others don't have that problem.

If you can find a CZ-52 in the same price range, it might be the way to go. I have two and love them. A Romy Tokarev would be plenty fun.

• Like 1

p-64.. And Paulyski will agree with me from what I've seen, and he's got more experience with it, I'm relativey new to the gun.. Chambered in Makarov, it's a polish cold war rip off of a PPK, but with a bigger (and cheaper) round and a chrome barrel.. run you about 200 bucks.

Word is the hammer and recoil spring suck, but I replaced them in my gun before I took it out the first time and I love it! It's probably the most accurate pistol not only for me but for my regular shooting buddies.

edit: and shandalos, thats wierd, never had that problem with mine, nor really read about it

Edited by volkov

What's the gun for, 690gr?

Its for a cheap to shoot fun little pistol, nothing more really. I am divided right down the middle between the two. I haven't been so split since Sig vs. Glock vs. XD!

I'd go with a CZ-52 over a TT-33 if that's a possibility.

p-64.. And Paulyski will agree with me from what I've seen, and he's got more experience with it, I'm relativey new to the gun.. Chambered in Makarov, it's a polish cold war rip off of a PPK, but with a bigger (and cheaper) round and a chrome barrel.. run you about 200 bucks.

Word is the hammer and recoil spring suck, but I replaced them in my gun before I took it out the first time and I love it! It's probably the most accurate pistol not only for me but for my regular shooting buddies.

edit: and shandalos, thats wierd, never had that problem with mine, nor really read about it

I haven't read about it either, and I think it's the only one I've fired. Might've been readily fixable, I just didn't care for the pistol enough to bother. Bought it for 200, sold it for 200 less than a week later.

CZ-82s are nice, once you get over the polygonal bore that looks like a smoothbore. They just don't fit my hand quite right. Maybe aftermarket rubber grips would've solved the problem, but that went the way of the P-64. Bought it at Cabela's for $200, sold it at Scheel's a day or two later for $200. Net loss of $14 in tax and about the same in ammo.

What's the gun for, 690gr?

Its for a cheap to shoot fun little pistol, nothing more really. I am divided right down the middle between the two. I haven't been so split since Sig vs. Glock vs. XD!

I'd go with a CZ-52 over a TT-33 if that's a possibility.

I have been looking for the CZ-52 since you guys suggested it, but it looks to be out of stock everywhere. So primarily this comes down to a Romy TT-33 vs a Makarov of any iteration. After reading up on the history of the two plus cost of ammo I am ever so slightly leaning towards the TT-33.

I have a P64. Great gun no problems. I personally never replaced any springs. Accurate, never jammed, ate all types of ammo fmj and hp. Paid $165 + shipping.

TT - have 2. Yugo and the older Polish. The one without the retarded new safety. Both are accurate out to 300 yards. I was able to hit metal man sized targets that far out. 1 or 2 hits per mag. The rest were hitting close. Like a little rifle. Awesome penetration as well. All around cheap gun, reliable, rugged, accurate.

My Bulgy mak is nice as well.

Hard to decide. I think if you want a 9x18 go with the P64 or the CZ82

The 64 is inexpensive, well made and you'll still have money left over for ammo.

CZ is more money but you get an ambidextrous gun with high cap mags (12) and just as accurate as the mak.

TT is a fun gun but if you plan to carry it might be to much (bullet penetration) and I don't have to tell you about corrosive ammo and cleaning

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have carried and used a Tokarev (Soviet)7.62mm that I brought home with me in 1962 from a visit to sunny SEA. It has seen a lot of sitting unused for the passed 10 years or so, but I am sort of attached to for reasons that I can no longer validate. I remember a guy on the plane with me coming home (MATS C-124)...no booze-filled pussy-waggon "Freedom Bird" for us old guys. Anyway the guy had an AK and a Broom-Handle Mauser Machine Pistol he bought from some Locals, broken down into very small pieces in his duffle bag. Well, the customs and MP's at Hickam AFB Hawaii went apeshit over his full-auto stuff, and ignored my pistol completely.

I have fired the Tokarev over the years fairly well. It does make a very impressive 'BANG' and large muzzle-flash when fired...especially when loaded with 30 Mauser (7.63mm) ammo instead of the 7.62x25 stuff prescribed for that gun.

It is a Russian gun, not Chinese. serial # TB 3706-1940 (cyrllic)on the Frame, Magazine and Barrel. Also Cyrllic CCCP on the grips. I have no experience with the others you asked about. But I like my 60 year old Russian Piece. :killer:

Both my Father and I have Romy TT's and love them. Yes, they are old, ugly, barbaric and could be used as hammers or clubs, but they go bang every time we pull the trigger with reasonable accuracy. I don't have too much experience with the other choices, but I can say that you can not go wrong with a TT. Fun and ultra cheap to shoot.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know there ugly as sin....but I've always liked the TT-33s.

That being said, the CZ is more reliable from what I've seen.

IDK Yarp, I think the Tokarev looks pretty nice. Has a classy minimalist style reminicent of the Colt 1903/08.

But what do I know, I think the Ruger KP-90 very nice and tough looking.

• Like 1