Bulgarian AK-74 Brake safe for 7.62x39?

I'm pretty sure it's safe to use, but I just wanted to double check anyway, just in case. The brake is question would be a Bulgarian zig-zag brake for an AK-74. I tested with the one I have, and am able to drop a bullet through the holes. It is tight, though no drag at all. Just figured I would double check. If not I'll just use the Arsenal one that says specifically made for 7.62x39.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

I've read that you want to drill it out to 3/8" or so, to make it 100%. I talked to Cobra about it a while back, when I started building the rifle I'm currently working on, and a few people on theakforum.net also reiterated it. Cobra said he had some issues with his, nothing catastrophic (like I would imagine), but he suggested drilling it out.

I ended up sourcing a Arsenal 7.62 brake off another forum, which I will be using on mine. Granted, it doesn't look as cool or authentic, but it'll work. Plus, another US part.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's safe to use, but I just wanted to double check anyway, just in case. The brake is question would be a Bulgarian zig-zag brake for an AK-74. I tested with the one I have, and am able to drop a bullet through the holes. It is tight, though no drag at all. Just figured I would double check. If not I'll just use the Arsenal one that says specifically made for 7.62x39.

I say your safe....if not get a drill bit and open it up a * hair

• Like 1

And here's a 7.62x39 in a 74-type brake that was designed for the cartridge:

proper74typebrake.jpg

See any difference? :D

There's a reason that the Russians, (Bulgarians, etc), produce different versions of this brake. One size does not fit all calibers.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

And here's a 7.62x39 in a 74-type brake that was designed for the cartridge:

proper74typebrake.jpg

See any difference? :D

There's a reason that the Russians, (Bulgarians, etc), produce different versions of this brake. One size does not fit all calibers.

Yeah, I had the same results as GregM1. I pulled a bullet from a 7.62x39 round and dropped it through the brake, it has room to spare in the second hole, but in the first one, closer to the barrel, it slips through by barely a cunt hair. That made me kinda :eek: So I came here and asked.

Thanks again for the help guys. Now to see if I can find a Bulgarian brake to open up or if not I'll just by a K-Var/AK103 US made one.

those brakes are chrome lined so its kind of a shame to dremal it down a bit but do what you need to

I agree, that's why I ended up just selling mine. I could see drilling into the chrome turning into a mess, if it started cracking or whatnot.