Side-mount, scope, and flashlight

Before I goof around with trying a conversion, I'd like to ask you all about some other upgrades I'd like to do.

I want to add a scope. The side-mount option seems best, because I want to be able to use irons, or at least have the ability to see 1x magnification. Considered some type of EOTech originally, but they're a bit expensive for me. I'd also like to be able to see up to 12x magnification--not to try to shoot that far of course, but just to see without having to carry around binoculars. It may or may not be a great idea to put a big 12x scope on the side mount, especially if I have a light on the side weaver rail, too. Any input?

Additionally, would a light be better positioned on a foregrip rail, or on the side mount? It'd certainly be cheaper for me to not have to get a rail system for the foregrip and cost is a huge consideration (just graduated from VT last month and I'm pretty close to broke)

Any make and model recommendations for anything I mentioned are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Before I goof around with trying a conversion, I'd like to ask you all about some other upgrades I'd like to do.

I want to add a scope. The side-mount option seems best, because I want to be able to use irons, or at least have the ability to see 1x magnification. Considered some type of EOTech originally, but they're a bit expensive for me. I'd also like to be able to see up to 12x magnification--not to try to shoot that far of course, but just to see without having to carry around binoculars. It may or may not be a great idea to put a big 12x scope on the side mount, especially if I have a light on the side weaver rail, too. Any input?

Additionally, would a light be better positioned on a foregrip rail, or on the side mount? It'd certainly be cheaper for me to not have to get a rail system for the foregrip and cost is a huge consideration (just graduated from VT last month and I'm pretty close to broke)

Any make and model recommendations for anything I mentioned are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

you are kind of all over the place... 1x magnification would be something like you initially describe.. Eotech.. Aimpoint.. etc.. but then you jump to 12x magnification

if you want a GOOD setup that allows true co-witness run an Ultimak rail with an Aimpoint.. it will allow perfect co-witness and be extremely reliable..

as far as rail goes i utilized the Ultimak rail as well.. these items are NOT cheap.. but they are solid, work properly, and should last a lifetime..

lastly i will say this in regards to cost.. you can do it cheaply 2, 3, 4 times.. replacing shit as it breaks.. OR you can do it right ONCE and be done with it.. just build the parts up slowly over time..

I got the UTG 978 side mount. Mounted a Bushnell Trophy RD 1x for about $100 total. This rides my Saiga 7.62x39.

The Saiga 5.45x39 I have sports the same UTG 978 side mount $35 from OpticsPlanet, and a NCStar 6x32 fixed scope $27 w/ OAL of about 8" which when mounted you can get the proper I relief. this has a mil-dot reticle which allows ME to shoot 200 yards into about 5-6" groups with it.. The cross hairs aren't illuminated which is just fine with me.

post-8775-019743500 1275867737_thumb.jpg

The UTG 978 is quick-detach so when the site breaks or 'you just want it off' lift the lever and slide the whole thing off. :super:

downside is you can't co-witness the factory sites... but just take the mount off and call it a day.. bigsal will be along.. :lolol:

The 5.45 is MY 200+ yard gun and the 7.62 is my MBR/150 yard gun for pop-n-shoot with the RD.

PS your going to get a million responses and suggestions..

as pointed out. WHAT you want to do with the rifle will certainly determine the BEST choice when it comes to optics.. 100m or even past if you have good eyes.. does not IMO justify a magnified optic.. I don't know that I would really be shooting the 7.62x39 past that 200+ I would stick with the 308.. so for me the reflex sight is ideal... its lit.. and it's super fast inside 100m... my AR10 has a magnified scope on it 3-9x40, because it is used for longer range.... so it really just depends on what you want to do..

you are kind of all over the place... 1x magnification would be something like you initially describe.. Eotech.. Aimpoint.. etc.. but then you jump to 12x magnification

if you want a GOOD setup that allows true co-witness run an Ultimak rail with an Aimpoint.. it will allow perfect co-witness and be extremely reliable..

as far as rail goes i utilized the Ultimak rail as well.. these items are NOT cheap.. but they are solid, work properly, and should last a lifetime..

lastly i will say this in regards to cost.. you can do it cheaply 2, 3, 4 times.. replacing shit as it breaks.. OR you can do it right ONCE and be done with it.. just build the parts up slowly over time..

The only reason I really brought up the 12x magnification was so the scope could double as a monocular, which isn't necessary since I already have binoculars (I just don't want to carry them). Really, anything over 4x seems like overkill to me in terms of actually hitting a target, but I'm a novice so I don't really know. If I am to have anything over 1x magnification, I just want to be able to switch to 1x or irons quickly and easily.

As far as cost, I mainly just don't want to have to pay over $100 for any single part, which pretty much eliminates the EOTech and a lot of quality stuff. But also consider that there's at least one gun show every month near me and everything tends to cost half as much as it does online or a shop.

The only reason I really brought up the 12x magnification was so the scope could double as a monocular, which isn't necessary since I already have binoculars (I just don't want to carry them). Really, anything over 4x seems like overkill to me in terms of actually hitting a target, but I'm a novice so I don't really know. If I am to have anything over 1x magnification, I just want to be able to switch to 1x or irons quickly and easily.

As far as cost, I mainly just don't want to have to pay over $100 for any single part, which pretty much eliminates the EOTech and a lot of quality stuff. But also consider that there's at least one gun show every month near me and everything tends to cost half as much as it does online or a shop.

absolutely NO disrespect.. but just being honest..

as far as not spending over $100 for any single part.. i would personally not employ that philosophy because it really doesn't make sense.. if you are a novice to firearms i suggest instead the following method for this and EVERY future gun you may decide to modify..

first pick the firearm.. whatever it is it doesn't really matter as the system is the same.. then decide what this will be used for.. hunting.. protection.. range.. competition.. doesn't matter..

then decide what parts you might want to utilize to increase the firearms ability to serve that role..

finally after evaluating ALL of those things decide on a budget.. it can be long or short term... The firearms i own are mostly for range duty, would like to shoot on a competition level at some point but KNOW im not ready for that yet.. my firearms also play the role of personal defense should the need ever arise.. because of that last factor.. I ONLY purchase items i would be willing to bet my life on.. that's why it takes forever to finish them.. lol

the point being instead of deciding 5 parts at no more than $100 each.. figure a $500 total budget.. that way things that are IMPORTANT (like optics for example) can absorb MORE cost and thus be more quality..

with this firearm.. the conversion is IMO absolutely necessary as it TOTALLY changes the way the firearm functions.. I would NOT learn the gun unconverted, because the range time and ammo cost you put into it will IMO be a waste.. while you may be able to sight the weapon in properly.. after converting it, the weapon and the way it functions (trigger pull to be specific) is totally different.. get a piece of paper.. figure out EXACTLY how much you want to spend.. what you plan to do with it (what distances are probably one of the more important factors).. how good you want it to be.. and prioritize..

when i say that good items are costly i am NOT trying to sound elitist.. i am instead trying to give you sound advice so you dont buy a bunch of useless junk strap it to an otherwise awesome rifle, only to regret it later..

you can make the most "tacticool" looking weapon out there.. but if it functions poorly due to ill fitting parts, then it is a complete waste...

just my 2 cents

good luck with it!

@DamagedWorld: No disrespect taken! In fact, any future disrespect is welcome if it's as helpful as that post was.

I'd still like some more setup/product recommendations, but to hell with arbitrary cost constraints! I like inexpensive, good deals--I don't like breakable, cheap crap. I'll likely be able to afford most anything when I (soon, I hope) start work full-time, anyway. Thanks!

@DamagedWorld: No disrespect taken! In fact, any future disrespect is welcome if it's as helpful as that post was.

I'd still like some more setup/product recommendations, but to hell with arbitrary cost constraints! I like inexpensive, good deals--I don't like breakable, cheap crap. I'll likely be able to afford most anything when I (soon, I hope) start work full-time, anyway. Thanks!

Carolina Shooters Supply sells a very high quality, low-profile, quick-detachable mount for the Saiga's for $50. As for a scope, look around for some quality Bushnell scopes. It'd be best if they weren't the 22 rimfire ones because you want it to hold zero. Other optics I would look at are the Burris FastFire Red Dot, the Vortex Strikefire Red Dot System, and of course, an EOTech. EOTech 512 looks to be quite good, and you can get it for $360 shipped on EBay. And, if you can scrounge up the greenbacks, I would recommend an Aimpoint

Side rail + Vortex = $200.

Side rail + Burris FastFire = $250.

Side rail + EOTech = $410.

Side rail + Aimpoint = $500-$700.

Or, you could get the Ultimak rail (which replaces factory gas tube) for about $100. However, and this is just my opinion, I prefer the side rail mount. I like the optics closer to my body (weight distribution), closer to my head (faster and more efficient IMHO), I like the look better, and it just feels good not letting that scope rail on the Saiga go to waste.

Edited by FatalSylence

Carolina Shooters Supply sells a very high quality, low-profile, quick-detachable mount for the Saiga's for $50. As for a scope, look around for some quality Bushnell scopes. It'd be best if they weren't the 22 rimfire ones because you want it to hold zero. Other optics I would look at are the Burris FastFire Red Dot, the Vortex Strikefire Red Dot System, and of course, an EOTech. EOTech 512 looks to be quite good, and you can get it for $360 shipped on EBay. And, if you can scrounge up the greenbacks, I would recommend an Aimpoint

Side rail + Vortex = $200.

Side rail + Burris FastFire = $250.

Side rail + EOTech = $410.

Side rail + Aimpoint = $500-$700.

Or, you could get the Ultimak rail (which replaces factory gas tube) for about $100. However, and this is just my opinion, I prefer the side rail mount. I like the optics closer to my body (weight distribution), closer to my head (faster and more efficient IMHO), I like the look better, and it just feels good not letting that scope rail on the Saiga go to waste.

right and that's just the thing.. if you are patient.. watch the classifieds on different sites you will find good deals.. and some things that are cheap DO happen to be good.. besides converting the gun which is relatively simple.. you really just need to think out your optics.. for me.. i wanted co-witness.. so that's why my site is where it is.. BUT i did just trade down to the Aimpoint micro series (pics coming soon)which is much smaller and lighter.. perfect for the front of this rifle.. the reason i have the rifle setup with a reflex sight is because i shoot relatively short range, so no magnification is really needed.. AND co-witness allows me to shoot iron sights for various distances if i like without having to remove the Aimpoint... so just figure out what you think you want to do with it and come up with a plan.. but definitely convert it!...

good luck with it.. let us know how you make out..

Just one last question, and forgive me if it's a stupid one. I had the understanding that the scope rail on the side mount was raised high enough so that I could look beneath the scope and use irons. Is this the case?

It really doesn't look like it based on the pictures I've seen here of UTG side mounts, but I've definitely seen something like that on AK-47s, and I like the concept.

Just one last question, and forgive me if it's a stupid one. I had the understanding that the scope rail on the side mount was raised high enough so that I could look beneath the scope and use irons. Is this the case?

It really doesn't look like it based on the pictures I've seen here of UTG side mounts, but I've definitely seen something like that on AK-47s, and I like the concept.

* are you primarily shooting this long or short range..

* how is your eyesight?

* if you are using a traditional scope then you really wont NEED the irons.. if you mount a non-powered optic on the side rail you are fine.. its not like you are really going to ever NEED the irons..

* are you shooting close range? want a reflex sight? then I still think out on the gas tube is best..

* you can buy the Ultimak rail for like $75 and then a nice micro Aimpoint clone (http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-1x25-trophy-series-riflescope-trs-25-red-dot-731303.html) that optics setup would run you around $200 TOTAL (keeping your $100 a part budget.. lol) and would at least be reasonably good quality..

hope that is clear..

decide if you are primarily shooting long or short range.. that will play a HUGE role in what is recommended..