Gunfier plug problems

I bought a few things last month for the saiga. One of them was a gunfixer plug. Took it out yesterday and it wouldnt fire low brass federal bulk pack #7 on any setting which kind of sucked since thats mostly what I had with me. So I popped in a mag full of S&B OO buck and it wouldndt cycle that on any setting either and it usually rips right through that stuff. I didnt have the old plug with me so it was a pretty piss poor day with the Saiga. Is this a common problem with the gunfixer plug? No other changes were made and it usually cycles the low brass federal stuff OK and its flawless with the OO buck.

Edited by wired

There are little detents on the base of the plug. These have to line up with the push pin. It does not line up with the slots like the old one.If you try to line it up with the numbers it will not work.

Edited by Rangerguy

I have to ask Are you sure the gas piston is in the gas block? The reason I asked becuase it has happen to me. I forgot to put it in when I clean my S12.

I have Nate prototype that he sent to me to test and write a review. It work fine for me.

Unless there's something wrong with the plug itself, ie, it's defective, then there is another problem. Are either the ports blocked, or is the puck missing? The Gunfixr plug still uses a puck.

To see if the plug is defective, draw a line down the side from one of the gas channels in the end where it meets the puck to the handle end. The shallowest one is #1, and the deepest one is #3. Screw in the plug until it locks into the detent. If you drew the line from say the deepest one (#3), then when the detent with the number 3 is at the spring loaded plunger, your line should be at the bottom, next to the barrel, which will place it over the port.

Something like whiteout will work just fine.

I have to ask Are you sure the gas piston is in the gas block? The reason I asked becuase it has happen to me. I forgot to put it in when I clean my S12.

I have Nate prototype that he sent to me to test and write a review. It work fine for me.

Yes the piston was there. I'll take it out next week and see if I can finger it out.

Sounds like user error 018.gif do you still have your factory plug? If not I'll send you one of mine if you pay the shipping. It would be good to see if it worked with the OME plug because I don't see much chance the gunfixer would not give any gas on any setting with oo buck. Maybe post a pic of it on your gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I know what the problem is!!! I learned on my Saiga if I didnt hold the gun snug into my shoulder I would have FTE's out the ass. Example, if I shot it from the hip it would do exactly what yours did. If I held the gun tight into my shoulder throughout the dump it ran like a bitch in heat. The more you and your body allow less recoil and the let the gun receive the energy, those piss ant birdloads will run. Not telling you how to shoot but stick that stock in the heart of your shoulder and pull that bitch back into shoulder just before every squeeze. I thought the butt was a little high on your shoulder and the gun was moving alot hence the FTE's. Im sure you can fix that with a new spring or breaking in but this is my 2 sense. Also dont forget and most dont mention make damn sure your shooting DR EQ. 3 or above on your bird loads. That is the amount of powder in each round. Anything below 3 DR EQ. is shit and weak. Remember this bitch is made to run high brass so we have to manipulate this little whore. Hope this helps with your FTE's

I think I know what the problem is!!! I learned on my Saiga if I didnt hold the gun snug into my shoulder I would have FTE's out the ass. Example, if I shot it from the hip it would do exactly what yours did. If I held the gun tight into my shoulder throughout the dump it ran like a bitch in heat. The more you and your body allow less recoil and the let the gun receive the energy, those piss ant birdloads will run. Not telling you how to shoot but stick that stock in the heart of your shoulder and pull that bitch back into shoulder just before every squeeze. I thought the butt was a little high on your shoulder and the gun was moving alot hence the FTE's. Im sure you can fix that with a new spring or breaking in but this is my 2 sense. Also dont forget and most dont mention make damn sure your shooting DR EQ. 3 or above on your bird loads. That is the amount of powder in each round. Anything below 3 DR EQ. is shit and weak. Remember this bitch is made to run high brass so we have to manipulate this little whore. Hope this helps with your FTE's

With 00 buckshot loads it wouldnt even run and it usually eats those like candy. Couldnt get it to cycle worth a damn that day.I fixed the spring problem and took it out today and even from the hip it ran 100% on crappy low brass loads on 2.

Yes. I blink when I shoot. Sensitive eyes.

If it was working well with the original plug, use that!

My S-12 cyles more reliably with the original plug compared to the Gunfixer plug.

Why? I dont know, dont care. Not every upgrade is an upgrade for EVERY weapon.

If you want to shoot birdshot, buy the Winchester AA as it is only slightly more expensive than federal at walmart

and has the powder charge and shot weight to cycle the bolt very reliably.

Use only full power Buckshot for home defense, not low recoil stuff which may be iffy in some S-12's.

S&B low recoil buck and Fiocchi Low recoil buck DO NOT cycle my S-12, and mine was converted by Red jacket.

Are you sure your ports are right?

On my personal S-12, (the Vodka special I learned on) I did many fixes before enlarging my ports to the correct size & had mine relatively dependable, but it would mess up like you say yours does at times.

I enlarged the ports to 3 @ 3/32" & I can fire federal bird-shot 1 handed with no issues.

Well.... it looks nice, but that FTE action would drive me nuts. Was it just a conversion or did it get reliability service too? Just curious.

It works well if you read further down where I figured out the hammer spring got wrapped up over the disconnector. I works fine now.

Well.... it looks nice, but that FTE action would drive me nuts. Was it just a conversion or did it get reliability service too? Just curious.

It works well if you read further down where I figured out the hammer spring got wrapped up over the disconnector. I works fine now.

You're video reminded me of the first time I took mine out after showing it off to all my friends.

It shot like that & I wanted to bury my head in the sand.

It was so embarrassing & disappointing..

You're video reminded me of the first time I took mine out after showing it off to all my friends.

It shot like that & I wanted to bury my head in the sand.

It was so embarrassing & disappointing..

Thats why I posted it. You get tired of seeing people blow away milk jugs. Let reality sink in sometimes.

BTW your avatar just reminded me of something I have to do....

I got lucky with mine (4port). It would cycle winchester and remington bulk with the stock plug on setting 2 out of everything but my drum reliably. I've polished up the bolt and carrier now.. and added a Gunfixer plug. She cycles Federal on setting #2 of the Gunfixer all the way 100%... Drums, Surefire, AGP's, factory 5's. I'm wanting to test out the win. and rem. with the gunfixer and polish job.. I'm pretty sure it should cycle on setting #3 of the Gunfixer if Fed. cycles on #2.

• 1 month later...

My S12 won't even cycle on a slug.

I'm sure am glad I found this forum. Being that this thread helped me find what the major problem is with my S12.

post-26214-087708400%201281053246_thumb.jpg

Thats right you don't see any gas ports. Though some carbon is in there. It appears that I'm misaligned

Found the answer Modification_to_repair_FTE_issues_on_Saigas_with_blocked_gas_ports.pdf

post-26214-087708400 1281053246_thumb.jpg